Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

remote Start Alarm, that detects if your in gear.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote Start Alarm, that detects if your in gear.

Is there any Alarm system that has remote start, that is smart enough to detect that your cars in Gear or not.

If car is in gear, it will disable remote start.

anyone? that would be a kool feature.... i think, then Alarm shops won't have to worry about liability issues for installment. ha ha ha....
Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No. There may be alarms that include a universal neutral safety switch. Or you can make your own. I saw a thread on a different forum where this guy took springs, stretched them across the shifter, and wired them to the alarm, so if it was anywhere else but neutral it grounded the spring.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by biggie5252
No. There may be alarms that include a universal neutral safety switch. Or you can make your own. I saw a thread on a different forum where this guy took springs, stretched them across the shifter, and wired them to the alarm, so if it was anywhere else but neutral it grounded the spring.
That's very interesting. thinking outside of the box again.....
I think one day or another they will come up with something
Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Compustar required you to engage the reservation mode before you can use the remote start. That prevents the car remote starts if it is in gear.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by keithano
Compustar required you to engage the reservation mode before you can use the remote start. That prevents the car remote starts if it is in gear.
do you know what model Compustar alam?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 09:14 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
all compustar remote start models.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

yes all compustar models.

or

its not an "in gear detector" but most remote starts have an option for a neutral saftey switch that you can put to your ebrake that allows the car to start only when the ebrake is up
Old Apr 19, 2009, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

How I have always done this for people is this: Cruise control module, rip it apart, and wire them up to the gray wire, hood pin shut down. You can also use a relay and wire them in with the neutral safety switch shut down.

Time consuming and complicated, but will not remote start in gear and will also shut down as soon as you put it in gear.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

i have the latest clifford(the silver one, too lazy to look up the name) but what they guy who installed it did was get a spare key, then put it in this black box and hide it in the steering column. and then put a clutch overun so the car will start without the need to press the clutch, but the car must be turn off in nutral and have the parkign break pulled. If not it will not enter remote start mode... and he also activated the turbo timer from the alarm to work too!
Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Aar0nsite
i have the latest clifford(the silver one, too lazy to look up the name) but what they guy who installed it did was get a spare key, then put it in this black box and hide it in the steering column. and then put a clutch overun so the car will start without the need to press the clutch, but the car must be turn off in nutral and have the parkign break pulled. If not it will not enter remote start mode... and he also activated the turbo timer from the alarm to work too!

Similar to how the compustar systems work.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 09:41 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MRCole
Similar to how the compustar systems work.
partly true, the e-brake must be engaged, clutch switch(only for remote start) but importantly, engine must be running and as soon as the driver side door closes, the alarm/remote start is armed/available. if you put the tt option, then you press the lock button. in both instances, the engine is still running after you exit the driver side door. so, there is absolutely no way that the gear lever is in gear/engaged.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
partly true, the e-brake must be engaged, clutch switch(only for remote start) but importantly, engine must be running and as soon as the driver side door closes, the alarm/remote start is armed/available. if you put the tt option, then you press the lock button. in both instances, the engine is still running after you exit the driver side door. so, there is absolutely no way that the gear lever is in gear/engaged.
Would have posted all of that info, but my memory was a little rusty from only ever doing a handful of compustar installs. Good info nonetheless
Old May 1, 2009, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

I have ALWAYS left my car(s) in neutral so its a habit.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know this? I just had the 5901 viper installed by a guy. Before that I went to a shop and he said he would be able to do it so it only starts in neutral ?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A low tech option for this:

The parking brake switch is a normally open (NO) switch which means that when the parking brake is NOT pulled, the switch is open. Take one of the wires to the parking brake hook up and cut it. Run wires to the where the shifter is. Put a normally open reed switch directly under where the gear selector sits when in neutral. Glue a neo-magnet to the bottom of the gear selector hub. When the gear selector is in neutral, the magnet closes the reed switch.
Now the parking brake detection in the remote start with only work if the reed switch is engaged with the gear selector in neutral AND the parking brake is engaged. If either of these are not done, it will not allow the car to be started.

Quick Reply: remote Start Alarm, that detects if your in gear.