Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

8" Windows Car PC Install

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Echoing comments and interest on your mounting method & location for the PC, power supply, etc.

Is Centrafuse "smart" enough to switch between your music and phone displays when you receive an incoming call?
Old Aug 29, 2009, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure about the OP, but my CarPC case is under the passenger seat. I use RideRunner (originally called RoadRunner) as a front end. Most front ends are 'smart enough' to automatically switch screens, pause or lower music, etc, for phone calls, changing speeds, etc. That's one of the nice things having a computer control it all.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

i run the same setup but with 7 inch screen and pc sits under the pass seat. Roadrunner is good . i just couldn't get evo scan to running properly in its. so i am running centrafuse instead.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Real nice setup bro. I'll be going for this soon too.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 06:28 PM

That looks sweet, do you have any more information about it?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:33 AM

WOW I was just telling my roommate last night that I wanted to do this, and now seeing this I'm gonna have to haha. SICK!
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What kind of connection do you have to the display from the computer?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
Not sure about the OP, but my CarPC case is under the passenger seat. I use RideRunner (originally called RoadRunner) as a front end. Most front ends are 'smart enough' to automatically switch screens, pause or lower music, etc, for phone calls, changing speeds, etc. That's one of the nice things having a computer control it all.
That's pretty awesome. How does the screen behave to various levels of lighting? In other words, will the screen dim automatically based on ambient conditions?

Can you get the screen to switch off while driving long distances at night?

What's the startup/shutdown/hibernation procedure like based on the ignition?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Most front ends have settings for the time you want to switch from day to night settings, like dimmer or different screens altogether. Also, most have a dimmer slider that you can use as well.

Startup/shutdown is controlled by a 'smart' car power supply. Google m1-atx, m2-atx, m3-atx, or m4-atx. They are intelligent controllers that will gracefully shut down the computer when the inginition is switched off or they give you options for the amount of time to keep it on (say you are just stopping for gas or something) and jumper settings to actually shut it down or hibernate or stand-by or whatever you want. Also, there is a failsafe that monitors battery voltage as well so that if you choose a mode that keeps drawing power from the battery, it will automatically cut it off once the battery drops below a certain voltage, like 12V or whatever.

CarPCs have come a long way. I'm redoing mine now and may end up upgrading the MB, too. Not sure yet. Anyway, if you want to learn more, there are plenty of sites...a good one is www.mp3car.com.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aman
i run the same setup but with 7 inch screen and pc sits under the pass seat. Roadrunner is good . i just couldn't get evo scan to running properly in its. so i am running centrafuse instead.
How did you get evoscan to run in Centerfuse? I am using Riderunner (when I boot windows instead of linux).
Old Sep 3, 2009, 02:25 AM
Evolving Member

Very impressive. I'm going to have to look into this.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

I have EvoScan running fine in RideRunner. Also, I have DMA and LiveMap added to my ROM and I have that running fine in Riderunner as well.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:06 AM

Thats a really nice install! How long does RideRunner take to boot?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 09:22 AM

So not sure if I missed it, but is this the Orbital kit on top?

Last edited by robs06mr; Sep 3, 2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by unsungboxer
How did you get evoscan to run in Centerfuse? I am using Riderunner (when I boot windows instead of linux).

in centrafuse their is option to for embedding external applications in the original cf screen. its in settings . then u hold the + button to show app menu then u can add app it will add the button on the main screen for app u can also scale the app screen ( X Y ) to what u want. riderunner does the same thing too. but i just can't get things to work properly in it. there is tons of more app for riderunner then centrafuse but i find cf to me more user friendly.

Quick Reply: 8" Windows Car PC Install