Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

dynamat project pics

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great work, I'd like to do this as well.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I got some of the roofing material which is the same exact material as the dynamat and equivilant.

I covered most of the trunk last year, I think I will do the firewall since I can hear the engine bay noises.

I think I spent 12 dollars for a roll of 25 feet X 12" .
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Nice job. I did this to my Typhoon as it was a must with 8 x 15" woofers in the back. I often wished that I would not of ripped out the entire interior because of the increased amount of rattles that slowly showed up. It was a constant battle...
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:05 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
I got some of the roofing material which is the same exact material as the dynamat and equivilant.

I covered most of the trunk last year, I think I will do the firewall since I can hear the engine bay noises.

I think I spent 12 dollars for a roll of 25 feet X 12" .
One can't compare a quality deadening like SS or SDS to complete junk on a roll like Peel and Seal. Asphalt-based products, even those called "deadening," are a complete waste of time, effort, and what little money they cost. OK, maybe not a complete waste of time, if one is particularly enamored by the scent of baking asphalt dominating the interior in the summer.

Again, deadening is not sound insulation. It helps to reduce panel resonance. Please refer to the link posted earlier in the thread. Guys, before you decide to do any of this, please look into the process in a little more detail.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fjf
that's because sound deadening isn't meant to cut down on noise. It is designed to decrease panel resonance. Products like mlv (mass-loaded vinyl) are much better suited for the task. Almost every time i see one of these threads, i post a link explaining the concept, as well as the process, along with a series of comments. No one bothers to search.
+1!!
Old Mar 6, 2010, 01:32 PM

DAMN! That's a lot of dynamat!!!!! Looks good though, I'm with the track guys, its more weight!!
Old Mar 6, 2010, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Start here: www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

If you read through every page on the site, you'll know more about deadner than 99.9% of the folks who install it in their cars.
thanks for the link!
Old Mar 7, 2010, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
Like others I wouldn't do it because of the weight,
oh just up the boost and problem solved
Old Mar 7, 2010, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Start here: www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

If you read through every page on the site, you'll know more about deadner than 99.9% of the folks who install it in their cars.
subscribed.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 09:20 PM

Great job, subscribed.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:29 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bdeitemeyer
Great job, subscribed.
You didn't read the thread, did you?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:39 AM

Of course I read the thread. I know the project was completed, but I'm interested in seeing the discussion afterwards regarding the other sound deadening opinions and reviews being expressed in this thread.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:52 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bdeitemeyer
Of course I read the thread. I know the project was completed, but I'm interested in seeing the discussion afterwards regarding the other sound deadening opinions and reviews being expressed in this thread.
If you'd read the thread, as you claim, you would have realized that it wasn't a great job, as plastering deadening all over the interior is utterly pointless for this application. All you need is the link you should have seen multiple times. Read every page and you'll be learning from the standing expert in the field. Good luck.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by FJF
One can't compare a quality deadening like SS or SDS to complete junk on a roll like Peel and Seal. Asphalt-based products, even those called "deadening," are a complete waste of time, effort, and what little money they cost. OK, maybe not a complete waste of time, if one is particularly enamored by the scent of baking asphalt dominating the interior in the summer.

Again, deadening is not sound insulation. It helps to reduce panel resonance. Please refer to the link posted earlier in the thread. Guys, before you decide to do any of this, please look into the process in a little more detail.
A freind of mine used a pail of roofing tar , worked great , only stunk for a month or so .... nothing a can of Febrezze cant fix !

this was in a 93 stang
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:17 AM

I wish there was a way to test this to see if a notable difference results. It would be so worthy given the amount of work and money you put in.

Quick Reply: dynamat project pics