Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

dynamat project pics

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2010, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dynamat project pics

Here's some before and after pics of dynamat work for your viewing pleasure.

She gained like 60lbs from the materials, but it has gotten very quiet, especially when the cut-out is open. I leave it open most all the time now,...mainly b/c I am less concious of how obnoxious I sound at idle or at WOT

Last edited by vetboss; Jan 10, 2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Props to you for the effort!

Just not my cup of tea though. I'm a track guy and the thing I think in my head is: "Extra Weight" LOL.

Dynomat is expensive, is it not? =X
Old Jan 9, 2010, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Did that to my last one... At my cost it was still pricey and I honestly didnt notice any difference.... Have you noticed anything?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AznEvoIX
Props to you for the effort!

Just not my cup of tea though. I'm a track guy and the thing I think in my head is: "Extra Weight" LOL.

Dynomat is expensive, is it not? =X
I understand what you mean considering your frequency at the track. I was going to do the roof as well, but want to be able to have some fun at my local track without the worry of being too top heavy.

I was somewhat concerned about the weight, but the results were worth it, I will be doing the doors in the comings week as well.

Dynamat is rather exspensive, but I got a sweet deal from my local perfromance shop...it was around 230dollars for 7 very large sheet that covered the entire trunk and floor pan all the way to the fire wall.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

I've been thinking about doing this as well due to amount of road noise in the Evo. How quiet is it? Are we talking lexus quiet?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BoostWhore
Did that to my last one... At my cost it was still pricey and I honestly didnt notice any difference.... Have you noticed anything?
Originally Posted by vetboss
...She gained like 60lbs from the materials, but it has gotten very quiet, especially when the cut-out is open. I leave it open most all the time now,...mainly b/c I am less concious of how obnoxious I sound at idle or at WOT...
Considering that I am currently driving the car with only the carpet in it, still has no trunk carpet, back seats, passenger seat, console, etc - I have noticed a considerable difference (I drove it the same way without the dynamat for a few weeks before I layed it all in, so the variable is only the dynamat, not the dynamat and all the interior as well.

I noticed better response from the speakers (stock), reduced road noise, reduced engine noise and the cut-out is almost "bearable" under load as it is unbelievably loud in general.

I dont have to turn the stereo up very loud when a movie is playing on the in dash screen (again, stock speakers).

All in all, I am pretty satisfied thus far, I anticipate it will be even better as I return all the interior parts back to their spots.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Donny
How quiet is it? Are we talking lexus quiet?
Its quiet, I guess we're talking performance evo quiet

If you're looking for lexus quiet, you may want to buy a lexus

example - The performance shop that I frequent has a shop evo that is loud and has monster hp, I went for a ride in it with same dynamat setup as mine plus the doors...it was pretty quiet and felt smooth with less rattles. You could even tell by the way the doors open and close...it just feels more solid.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Sweet
Old Jan 9, 2010, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like others I wouldn't do it because of the weight, but I did it on my 240 and it made a difference. Excellent job dude - it looks really really good!!!
Old Jan 9, 2010, 08:00 PM

Props for spending the time, even though it need to be done......
Old Jan 10, 2010, 02:51 AM

great job mate must have been effort
Old Jan 10, 2010, 04:49 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostWhore
That's because sound deadening isn't meant to cut down on noise. It is designed to decrease panel resonance. Products like MLV (mass-loaded vinyl) are much better suited for the task. Almost every time I see one of these threads, I post a link explaining the concept, as well as the process, along with a series of comments. No one bothers to search.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice job! looks expensive...lol
Old Jan 13, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
That's because sound deadening isn't meant to cut down on noise. It is designed to decrease panel resonance. Products like MLV (mass-loaded vinyl) are much better suited for the task. Almost every time I see one of these threads, I post a link explaining the concept, as well as the process, along with a series of comments. No one bothers to search.
Im interested...Care to enlighten me?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 04:58 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Im interested...Care to enlighten me?
Start here: www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

If you read through every page on the site, you'll know more about deadner than 99.9% of the folks who install it in their cars.

Quick Reply: dynamat project pics