Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Sound system worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sound system worth it? audio advice

I bought a sub and box for the evo. But now im reconsidering installing them and just going with a basic 4speakers with HU. Right now i have an alpine CDE 102 HU and was wondering if that would sound nice with some speakers.

Currently there are unused memphis speakers that I am considering on purchasing from someone- front speakers: 15mcs6, rear speakers: mc. 15mc62.

Will this setup be alright sound with no amp? Or did I mess up already with the HU. I'm thinking a sub and 2 amps are just too much.. Basically, I'm trying to maximize sound quality w/o using amps and subs.

ps. I like base.. rap/hiphop music is usually whats bumpin.

Thanks

Last edited by scothu; Dec 5, 2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 06:33 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scothu
[SIZE="2"]] Will this setup be alright sound with no amp?
No, not when the car is moving. There isn't enough amplitude to cut through the noise.

Or did I mess up already with the HU.
The deck is fine.

Basically, I'm trying to maximize sound quality w/o using amps and subs.
In that case, seal and deaden the doors and use the stock speakers.

ps. I like base.. rap/hiphop music is usually whats bumpin.
If you want to bump while the car is moving, pick another vehicle. It won't happen in this car without a lot of drawbacks. Good luck.

Last edited by FJF; Dec 8, 2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 7, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were to do my system all over again, I wouldn't do it. I deadened the doors as well as the trunk. Have a custom fabbed box mounted on the left side of the trunk, housing a 12" Arc Audio sub. Morel Hybrid Ovations active system powered by arc audio amps. Honestly, it sounds killer but I would have rather put all of it in a different car. Different deck and a decent set of speakers will do the job for what the evo was designed for.

i would have rather spent the money upgrading the minor flaws the evo has.

Just my .02
Old Dec 7, 2010, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
No, not when the car is moving. There isn't enough emplitude to cut through the noise.

The deck is fine.

In that case, seal and deaden the doors and use the stock speakers.

If you want to bump while the car is moving, pick another vehicle. It won't happen in this car without a lot of drawbacks. Good luck.
listen to this guy, he knows his stuff!!!! FJF has more posts about audio than anyone else on this foruM!!!
Old Dec 7, 2010, 09:47 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ItalyIX
If I were to do my system all over again, I wouldn't do it. I deadened the doors as well as the trunk. Have a custom fabbed box mounted on the left side of the trunk, housing a 12" Arc Audio sub. Morel Hybrid Ovations active system powered by arc audio amps. Honestly, it sounds killer but I would have rather put all of it in a different car. Different deck and a decent set of speakers will do the job for what the evo was designed for.

i would have rather spent the money upgrading the minor flaws the evo has.

Just my .02
Sounds like you approached an Evo system like any other car. I did that, too. It's almost pointless, when similar or better sound quality can be had with a tenth the effort. Unfortunately, a deck and aftermarket speakers won't do the job, unless that jobs involves not hearing much over the noise when the car is on the move. It's a question of power,sensitivity, distortion relative to the noise floor. Deadening is another misunderstood concept. For example, deadening the more rigid parts of the car - like the inner trunk area - does virtually nothing except for adding weight. OTOH, deadening the door skin with a ~12x12 piece of Butyl-based material and then sealing the outer door skin does wonders.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Sounds like you approached an Evo system like any other car. I did that, too. It's almost pointless, when similar or better sound quality can be had with a tenth the effort. Unfortunately, a deck and aftermarket speakers won't do the job, unless that jobs involves not hearing much over the noise when the car is on the move. It's a question of power,sensitivity, distortion relative to the noise floor. Deadening is another misunderstood concept. For example, deadening the more rigid parts of the car - like the inner trunk area - does virtually nothing except for adding weight. OTOH, deadening the door skin with a ~12x12 piece of Butyl-based material and then sealing the outer door skin does wonders.
do you have some more info on this process? lookin to upgrade a bit this summer. Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:43 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MechTech
do you have some more info on this process? lookin to upgrade a bit this summer. Thanks
Above is an example of a sealed door. I'd suggest visiting Don's site and reading every page. You'll know more about deadening and the process, itself, than you ever imagined.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well i had 2 10" kicker comp cvrs and a 1200x 2 amp, even with system not loud still got some gauge dimmage.. plug securing the box in the trunk can be a pain, tried too do mine with a 2x4 with metal screws into the frame, and then used a couple L brackets to hold it up against the back of the trunk, to only find it two days before race day flipped upside down, and when the box is 4' x 2' x 2' and you find it that way, then its time to pull it and just run a headunit with some good speakers... but if your into show then its another subject haha
good luck
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

yeah.. thats why I'm thinking of selling my sub and just going with a speaker upgrade. I just need to know the best speakers w/o using an amp lol

Thanks for all the replies
Old Dec 8, 2010, 02:15 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

I just need to know the best speakers w/o using an amp lol
<sigh> Like I posted earlier, it's the speakers that are installed in your car from the factory. If you find something better to use in this application, let us know.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
<sigh> Like I posted earlier, it's the speakers that are installed in your car from the factory. If you find something better to use in this application, let us know.
Lol dude, mine were already blown when I got the car. I'm possitive stock speakers are not the best. I'm not questioning your expertise but do you really think the stock speakers, that are budget speakers, are going to sound better than aftermarket ones with higher rms watts?

I agree with everything else you said. Thank you...I'm selling my sub now lol.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 05:18 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Lol dude, mine were already blown when I got the car. I'm possitive stock speakers are not the best.
The question is, best for what? You should be able to find stock speakers in the classifieds or you can use whatever you like. Like I said, if you find speakers that can run on HU power, produce a semblance of full-range performance, and are heard over the noise (with a degree of clarity and definition) when the car is moving, let us know what they are.

I'm not questioning your expertise but do you really think the stock speakers, that are budget speakers, are going to sound better than aftermarket ones with higher rms watts?
We're dealing with a specific environment. All things being equal, the stock speakers are not in the same league as the better midline aftermarket alternatives, but audio doesn't exists in a vacuum and all thing are not equal. Everything is relative to noise and distortion, and this car is loud. Really loud. I've written quite a bit about this. Save me some time and read my other posts. Best of luck with the project.

Last edited by FJF; Dec 9, 2010 at 11:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

-____- these posts are so depressing! I was also thinking of putting a nice set of speakers in my evo, here's what I have in mind ( pretty much set on)

front: http://www.crutchfield.com/s_108609C...iti+components

back: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...3.9i.html#tabs

and I'm not sure which amp I'm going to run as of yet. So are you telling me that it's not worth it and just to leave my stock speakers with my HU? any help is much appreciated. Thank you
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:40 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

<grin> If you decide to install different speakers, please consider something other than the Kappas. They're not a great choice for this.

Really, the situation isn't so bad. I doubt there's an environment in the known universe with a similarly high noise floor, along with its constraints, that can better the sound quality we can achieve. OK, this isn't necessarily a glowing endorsement, but I think one would be surprise by what could be done. It just takes a slightly different approach.

There's also a matter of personal expectations. If all you want is to hear music clearly, not a problem. If you expect a concert hall to happen when the car is on the mover without encountering a number of drawbacks, no way.

The former isn't that hard. Upgrade the HU, buy a good amplifier, seal and deaden the doors, use stock speakers. Ditch the rears if you (ultimately) want quality over quantity.

Last edited by FJF; Dec 15, 2010 at 02:15 AM. Reason: grammar
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

oh FJF you really frustrate me you know! lol I just don't understand why $200 components with a matching amp wont sound better than Stock! I will either have to accept your advice even though I don't understand, or spend the money and learn the hard way.

Quick Reply: Sound system worth it?