Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Replacing OEM HID Ballasts

Old May 22, 2018, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by llDemonll
My personal thoughts were just that the ballasts put out a constant and specific voltage to keep the bulb life at a maximum. chances are soldering won't harm that but the resistance changes or a bad solder could also mean headaches down the road for why bulbs aren't lasting as long or something

personally i'd have just sent it back and bought another with the longer cable, but if unavailable then yea solder would really be the only option
I didn't think a good solder would add much resistance but I wanted to make sure. I found some wire and ohmed it out to 0.1 ohm without any breaks. I cut, soldered, then tested it. Then repeated 2 more times for a total of 3 soldered connections. Still got .1 ohm. So if it did affect it, it would be less the .1 ohm..... .09-.01 ohm difference shouldnt have any effect that would make a noticeable difference. I was worried about the solder being a issue I'm the future so I made extra sure I did a good job with the iron. Hopefully I can find the right ballast so I don't have to do it again when the other one dies.

One negative though, my yellow DRL bulb is out now. I guess it could have been before and I never noticed. Anyone know the part number for that?