Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Help, Whine in front speakers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, Whine in front speakers

I installed new speakers all around with a 4 channel amp. i have tang bands in the rear and jl audio components in the front doors. after i hooked everything up i turned the key to accessory and get a whine only in the front speakers. the whine is constant and doesnt change pitch with engine speed.

what i tried so far:

i tried a different ground for my headunit. still there.

switched rca cables. still there.

all speaker wires are away from the power wire except the passenger front speaker, its running with it for the last 2ft before the amp.

my crossovers are mounted inside the door without the top cover on. i had to mount it with zipties so i couldnt get the cover on without modifiying it.

the amp ground is the same size wire as the power, and is grounded under the arm rest.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

anyone
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

When you say switched RCA cables what are you refering to? Did you rerun the RCA cables from the front outputs of the headunit to the amp or did you switch the front RCAs with the rear RCAs at the amp input?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What headunit? I'm gonna guess ahead and say Pioneer?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:32 PM
Evolving Member

I had a problem that it was purely the headunit that gave it the whine. it was an walmart whatever POS the previous owner just threw on before he sold the car.

Or if you had a "good" headunit, it could also be this tiny fuse inside the headunit.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:29 AM
Evolved Member

i have a sony cdx 540ui head unit.

i switched rca's at the back of the amp.

yesterday i reran the power cable so theres no other audio wires run with it. i changed my ground for the amp. i also rewired my amp to keep everything as seperated as i could from the power wire. nothing changed.

right now i have the gain for the fronts turned all the way down so theres minimal whine.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:35 AM
Evolved Member

im thinking its the amp (soundstorm ev4.400). i know its junk but i figured id try it for 45 bucks. it fits perfect under my seat but i guess ill have to look for something else.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

by the way anyone who wants some bass without buying a sub, get sone tang band w6's for the rear deck. they have the perfect amount of bass without the weight and loss of trunk space.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:36 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evoxsi
by the way anyone who wants some bass without buying a sub, get sone tang band w6's for the rear deck. they have the perfect amount of bass without the weight and loss of trunk space.
You mean you can tell they're playing when the car is moving? Really? I'm asking, because I tested a pair of the TBs in this application. Standing still, if you hold your breath, it sounds kinda OK down to (a subjective) ~80Hz. Moving, given the limited amplitude in an IB, the driver, and the output of the car itself, you're dealing with essentially an audible equivalent of increased road noise. Feeding more power only does so much, again, given the physical limitations of an IB aliment, the restricted (linear) excursion of the driver, limited cone area, and one's willingness to listen to distortion. There just ain't a whole lot of air that can be moved effectively. Then the question becomes, all this to what end? Call me crazy, I think an Evo system should perform when the machine is at speed.

Last edited by FJF; Aug 15, 2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:52 AM
Evolved Member

i have them setup with the low pass filter on the amp and connected to my headunit as rear/sub. it gives me just the right amount of lowes without distorting. im using the non neo mag w6's and with less than 50wrms. with the windows up it sounds perfect while driving, with the windows down i can still hear them but not as well. theres also no distortion with the lowpass filter.

i tried running them before i had my amp and they sounded bad, couldnt hear them and when i would adjust for them they would distort.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:05 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It seems we're talking about very different degrees of audibility and overall performance, distortion included. Only so much is possible, physically. I'm glad you're happy with this setup.

Last edited by FJF; Aug 15, 2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:32 PM

I do this for a living so maybe i can help you out. There are alot of things that can cause engine noise. first make sure the paint is scraped under your ground. Make sure your rcas and speaker wires are at least 18 inches apart. Things you can do to help get rid of engine noise is

Ground the negative side of the rca to the the amp ground

Run a 18 gauge ground wire from the radio ground to the amp ground

Use ground loop isolators a.k.a noise filters in between the rcas and the amp. Audiovox makes some good ones. If all else fail its your p.o.s. amp get a new one. In audio you get what you pay for so if it is cheep it probably sucks. Good luck with the trouble shooting
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

the sound isnt engine related because it does it with the engine off. just when the radio powers on. thanks though i do need to get shorter rca cables as i use some old ones from my teenage years that are 20ft long.

Last edited by evoxsi; Aug 20, 2012 at 03:08 AM.