Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Stupid directional problem. Pics/Video inside

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid directional problem. Pics/Video inside

Sooo, ever since I got my car in Sept of 2011 I have had a weird directional issue with my drivers side rear directional. When I turn the directional on, it will flash both the amber lights and the brake lights intermittently. I just decided to deal with it up until this morning, when I got pulled over on my way into work for the 2nd time because of this stupid light.

So, after working 4 hours of OT at work today, I came home and started trying to figure out what the problem is. I pulled the cover off of the top of the steering wheel, and this is what I found....

And a close up look

Both the black and the red wires have been stripped, and looks like it was used to power something? This is the first time I have seen it, so the previous owner must have done something to it, and half *** put it back together with some duct tape. Both wires were twisted and used duct tape to hold together. I took the duct tape off the black wire.

Now, when I unplug the orange connector to the harness, I turn the directional on, and the rear directional works perfectly fine, but I don't have any headlights. When I plug it back in, the headlights work, but the rear directionals are back to acting stupid.

Here's a quick video to show what the directional is doing:

Does anyone have any idea what this could possibly be? These are Depo tail lights (not real JDM) and all of the wires in the back are working perfectly fine. The reason why I think it's up front is because, I put my old OEM tail lights on, and it does the same thing.

Thanks for the input and/or help in advance

-Brian
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

video is set to private.

i suggest taking the bundle of wires apart, and connecting them back with solder/electrical tape, and see if that makes it work normally
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shrtstuff89
video is set to private.

i suggest taking the bundle of wires apart, and connecting them back with solder/electrical tape, and see if that makes it work normally
Damnit, I'll change the settings...

And yeah, I took the black wire out of the duct tape, and tried seeing if that made a difference, but it didn't. I'll mess around with the red wire. If it works, I'll solder it the right way instead of using duct tape

Is there anything else you can think of off the top of your head?

*EDIT* Video is now public