Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Small Battery Low RPM Hesitation/Bucking

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small Battery Low RPM Hesitation/Bucking

Brand new Odyssey PC680 small battery installed. Car somewhat has idle problems. When rolling from a stand still anything below 2000 rpm car has extreme hesitation/bucking issue. It's hard to even get it going.. I was about to do a big build on the car so I hoped new spark plugs and cop kit would help. After the build it is still doing the same thing with this same battery. I need to mention when I went back to the old big battery it ran fine.

I have now replaced the alternator since it was only in low rpms, didn't help. I checked all grounds everything was good. I read on evoscan approx 14v battery seemed to be holding a charge even when the car was moving, not just in idle.

Fuel pressure good, no misfires or engine codes. Can my battery be bad although it's brand new?

Other things I have tried, spark plugs, tps sensor, iacv, no boost leaks, not the tune, timing is spot on,. Thanks for any help or suggestions. If I can't figure it out within the next few days I am going to just relocate the big battery to the trunk so I can use it and atleast have my car running by this weekend.

Last edited by jaredh; Aug 25, 2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've encountered something similar but mine only hesitates when i mash the accelerator pedal at low rpm, anything under 2500-2800. if i accelerate by gradually pressing down on the accelerator then it doesn't hesitate. i'm running a DEKA ETX14 mini battery.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

My problem ended up being the coolant temperature sensor after replacing so many things. It never through any codes. If yours doesn't throw codes try replacing that. Took me 5 minutes and only $21 dollars.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

how did you diagnose it to be the coolant temp sensor, did you log it?
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

I couldn't diagnose it. There were no engine codes and logging it, it seemed to be reading fine. I happened to talk to a mechanic that told me to try that because it sounded like the coolant temp sensor. He had seen that before. I was so surprised when I changed it out and the problem finally went away. It has never came back. Heck this was less than 2 weeks ago. Ive finally been able to start driving it daily. It was the last thing I thought it could have been because it seemed to be logging fine.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the info. it sounds like a long shot but i just ordered one so fingers crossed, i guess i'll find out when it arrives next week! i take it it's an easy install and no mucking about with bleeding air out of the cooling system?