Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Engine electrical problem, Need Help...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine electrical problem, Need Help...

So I posted this in the troubleshootings forums but have had no luck on responses... so try here too. 2002 Lancer ES, only engine mod ram intake.

Brief summary to touch on points of problem:

Was running fine and then then was dead when got off work friday.
New Alternator, good battery. (replaced swapped this weekend) as was reading low voltage, and then after replacing the alternator was dead the next morning, thus swapped the battery.

-Checked cables once everything was in shape.

-Car starts and runs ok.

-When ignition key is turned on or car is turned off is a loud click from engine compartment.

-While idling is a whine noise coming from general alternator area.

-When neutral idling and revved starting at 2k rpm is a crackling sound coming
from engine compartment, generally same area alternator/lower back of engine/underintake manifold? if standing in front of car looking at engine.

-When car is turned off if not started approx after 4 hours battery is drained.

-If started like every 2 1/2 - 3 hours will start up and run and battery charges. Seems though something might be draining battery.

-Checked for noises while ignition off, none. No lights or other alternate things on that would be draining battery.

Hopefully that kinda combines everything and gives clearer picture of what is happening. Anything is helpful as I am willing to check/try whatever need to. Going to get back under car this evening and double check all the connections again, to make sure nothing may have loosened up. Although it seems this was happening prior to changing to new alternator/battery.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

i have the same prob of a crackling noise coming from the general area of the alternator once and a while, not sure if its the alternator of what
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:19 AM

Well i'm going to start today by replacing the new alternator again, neg cable, and pos cable... although the problem is i checked around for positive battery cable assemblies for this car, and the only one available with the fuse and all is through mfg for 200+ (not about to spend that on a cable). Only other option is crimping a new cable into the existing one getting the part from autozone....

although when i listened for a bit longer it almost seemed like the crackling sound was coming from the intake manifold area above the fuel rail area, but not from the ignition coils.

Although this still doesnt explain why it would be draining the battery... although I'm not all that savvy about the electrical system. I'm determined to fix this without having to pay an absorbant amount to put it in the shop.

Last edited by xisien; Jun 2, 2009 at 11:22 AM.