Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

2005 Evo 8 Key FOB Programming Not working

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 Evo 8 Key FOB Programming Not working

So i have been trying to program my Key FOB to work again, and havent had very good luck in the process. I have followed the very basic and easy instructions to program the FOB and everything goes smooth, but after i finish, the key fob still doesnt work.

1) Key in the ignition, Off position

2) within 10 sec jump pins 1 & 4

3) within another 10 sec push Hazard button 6x and the locks cycle to confirm going into program mode

4) Press Lock button on FOB 3x and locks cycle again to confirm its been programmed

5) take out Jumper, Finished!

This is what happens, but the remote still doesn't work after the programming process. Its obvious that the remote works, because the locks react when i hit Lock 3x to program it. Has anyone else had this problem?
Another thing, I've noticed that when i watch Vids on You Tube that when the key is not in the ignition and the door is open, the beeping noise stops, but my car beeps until i either put the keys in and turn to ACC or close the door. Isnt the Beeping suppose to stop if the keys are out of the ignition? I thought that this might be apart of the remote not programming but that's just a guess.

ANY HELP???
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@WelDun1 Did you ever get this issue figured out? Mine is doing the exact same thing but every other lock/unlock function works except the key fob.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by N3WBI3
@WelDun1 Did you ever get this issue figured out? Mine is doing the exact same thing but every other lock/unlock function works except the key fob.
Sorry for the late reply... but Yes i figured it out. I was right about the beeping noise in my Original post. Its supposed to stop when the keys are out of the ignition, so i used that lead to find my problem. It turned out to be the little white box screwed to the ignition. i forget the name of it, but it has 2 green wires going to it, and apparently a lot of ppl break it when installing Turbo Timers. The top of it comes off and the spring goes flying out and stops the 2 wires from making contact when the key is removed. You can either replace it all together or u can just connect the wires permanently or temporarily until u replace it... but whatever u want to do, that was my problem. As soon as i fixed that, my Key FOB programmed and worked.
Hope this helps you if you haven't already fixed the problem
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good to know because im going to be messing with cable around there soon

Old Aug 11, 2020, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In case of locked keys in car or lost fob, i suggest to get it from any locksmith.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 07:45 PM
LCS
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Easy fix.

The key reminder switch is connected to the ETACS by connector C-227 pin 30. It gets ground while the key is out. When the key is inserted the switch opens and cuts the ground signal to the ETACS.

you just need to check the reminder switch and the wiring.

my Evo 7 did not come with the reminder switch nor the corresponding wiring so I just grounded the C227 pin 30. That made the remote locking work.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 07:59 PM

Reviving an old thread with my first post. I recently purchased an 03 EVO 8 and the guy I bought it from had bought 4 fobs (none of which came with the car), 2 at two separate times trying to get something that would program. He was never able to get it to work. I gave it a shot and just like he said, the car will go into program mode, but when the lock button is pushed on the fob 3 times nothing happens. I've changed batteries to brand new and tried every fob. They are definitely the right fob for the car too. I'm not sure why something so simple is not working. I did read through every thread I could find before registering and posting this, so I appreciate any help or a link to the proper information location.

One more strange occurrence. I tried this yesterday and the car went into program mode 3 or 4 times with no luck getting fobs to work. I decided I wanted to try it again tonight, but now the car will not go into program mode. Meaning, yesterday I could get the locks to lock/unlock with the hazard button, but tonight nothing, no locking/unlocking at that point. I'm not sure if I broke something.

Please help! Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2022, 04:38 AM

Bump, still can't get this process to work and no dealership where I live. Anyone have any ideas?
Old Feb 26, 2023, 06:04 AM

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bmy454
Bump, still can't get this process to work and no dealership where I live. Anyone have any ideas?
Having the exact same issue.

Key in
jump 1-4
hazards 6 times
hear doors lock and unlock
press Key fob 3 times slowly. Nothing happens. Press key fob 82 more times slowly. 1 click then 2 fast clicks. Nothing.

pretty frustrating. I’ve seen people saying one key fob must be connected. Maybe we don’t have a key fob connected at all and that’s why it’s not working.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by BRW21
Having the exact same issue.

Key in
jump 1-4
hazards 6 times
hear doors lock and unlock
press Key fob 3 times slowly. Nothing happens. Press key fob 82 more times slowly. 1 click then 2 fast clicks. Nothing.

pretty frustrating. I’ve seen people saying one key fob must be connected. Maybe we don’t have a key fob connected at all and that’s why it’s not working.

Yeah, I finally gave up after posting this. In everything I read, I never heard of the part about having one fob connected, but maybe so. The steps are listed on STM website where you can purchase new fobs. I feel like it must be something simple. Thought about disconnecting battery and reconnecting to see if that might reset something, but never tried it. Not sure why that would work, but it's worked for other weird things on other vehicles I've had.

Maybe a guru on here will see this and chime in this time. Got to be a way to do this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 06:23 AM

Yeah, I finally gave up after posting this. In everything I read, I never heard of the part about having one fob connected, but maybe so. The steps are listed on STM website where you can purchase new fobs. I feel like it must be something simple. Thought about disconnecting battery and reconnecting to see if that might reset something, but never tried it. Not sure why that would work, but it's worked for other weird things on other vehicles I've had.

Maybe a guru on here will see this and chime in this time. Got to be a way to do this.
I’ve seen people saying a damaged ignition box due to a turbo timer install could have caused an issue however my door doesn’t chime when the key isn’t in. It only chimes when the key is inserted but not turned 1 click. After I turn it a click the chime turns off. Assuming the same is for you and assuming that white referenced ignition box isn’t broken, I’m at a loss for what to do. Using an oem key fob as well with brand new battery.

I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting and no luck just FYI but it wouldn’t hurt to try yourself as well.

here’s to unlocking our cars with a key forever! Cheers!
Old Feb 26, 2023, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by BRW21
I’ve seen people saying a damaged ignition box due to a turbo timer install could have caused an issue however my door doesn’t chime when the key isn’t in. It only chimes when the key is inserted but not turned 1 click. After I turn it a click the chime turns off. Assuming the same is for you and assuming that white referenced ignition box isn’t broken, I’m at a loss for what to do. Using an oem key fob as well with brand new battery.

I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting and no luck just FYI but it wouldn’t hurt to try yourself as well.

here’s to unlocking our cars with a key forever! Cheers!
we may be on to something with the turbo timer. Previous owner removed a turbo timer that had been installed for awhile and now I just have it sitting in a box of parts. Not sure if any damage was done or not. Did yours have a turbo timer too?

I’ll check my door chime later this afternoon.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 08:20 AM

we may be on to something with the turbo timer. Previous owner removed a turbo timer that had been installed for awhile and now I just have it sitting in a box of parts. Not sure if any damage was done or not. Did yours have a turbo timer too?

it did yes. So I think there’s something there. I took it out (carefully) but you never know.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts

Turbo Timers are installed using an extension harness which I learned when I uninstalled mine. If you cut wires and didnt reconnect the OEM harness then yea that could cause issues.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by deylag
Turbo Timers are installed using an extension harness which I learned when I uninstalled mine. If you cut wires and didnt reconnect the OEM harness then yea that could cause issues.
Sounds like it may be that. I remember cutting something out of the car that had two wires going into a harness. I assumed it was what connected into the timer itself when I pulled it all out. Joy. Time to go in and find where it came from. Thanks for the tip!