Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

The problematic evo returns!

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The problematic evo returns!

Hey Everyone!

So, today I started up my evo and drove around a bit... After around a minute, all ACD lights came on (tarmac, gravel, snow).... I've been told that it most likely needs the ACD pump rebuilt... But that's not the REAL problem. Then, around 15 minutes later, all gauges went out in my dash (speedometer, odometer, tachometer, fuel, temp, etc.)...Then I tried rolling up my windows and they were stuck down... All of them. The radio, cigarette lighter, the clock, and the lights still works, but nothing else electrical does. The car still runs and will turn on fine, just none of the gauges and other electricals will not work.... Its like it has all of the functions on accessory mode (when you turn the key 1 click), but stays like that when I start it.

Not sure if its due to the weather or not -- Its around 80 degrees F in NJ right now.

So, does anyone have an idea on what happened? Did a blow a fuse or did something like burn out? Thanks and I really appreciate the help!!!
Old May 31, 2017, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
You need to put a voltmeter on your battery while the car is on the check the alternator, sounds like it might be taking a dump.
Old May 31, 2017, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
You need to put a voltmeter on your battery while the car is on the check the alternator, sounds like it might be taking a dump.
The battery when the car is off is getting around 11.5 volts, but when the car is running, its getting 14.3 volts..... And the gauges still aren't coming on
Old May 31, 2017, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO
Wait, after letting the car idle for a few minutes, the voltage dropped to 11.3 volts... I think it is the battery... I'll have to get a new one tomorrow... Thanks!
Old May 31, 2017, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63_Crazy
Wait, after letting the car idle for a few minutes, the voltage dropped to 11.3 volts... I think it is the battery... I'll have to get a new one tomorrow... Thanks!
Still sound like alternator problem, Go get it tested at an autoparts store. if it is the alternator like im suspecting and you throw a new battery at it, it will only act as if you fixed it till it destroys the new battery
Old May 31, 2017, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63_Crazy
Hey Everyone!

So, today I started up my evo and drove around a bit... After around a minute, all ACD lights came on (tarmac, gravel, snow).... I've been told that it most likely needs the ACD pump rebuilt... But that's not the REAL problem. Then, around 15 minutes later, all gauges went out in my dash (speedometer, odometer, tachometer, fuel, temp, etc.)...Then I tried rolling up my windows and they were stuck down... All of them. The radio, cigarette lighter, the clock, and the lights still works, but nothing else electrical does. The car still runs and will turn on fine, just none of the gauges and other electricals will not work.... Its like it has all of the functions on accessory mode (when you turn the key 1 click), but stays like that when I start it.

Not sure if its due to the weather or not -- Its around 80 degrees F in NJ right now.

So, does anyone have an idea on what happened? Did a blow a fuse or did something like burn out? Thanks and I really appreciate the help!!!
test the power wire from the alternator with a dmm, should be over 14 volts with the car running