Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

I have been attacked by the Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have been attacked by the Gremlins

So as I was researching the key switch problem, and during my research I came across the Rain Gremlin thread and was like damn that sucks! Well the next day my lights started to stay on, then last night my car wouldn't turn off, so this morning I rip the kick panel off and this is what I found...

Looks like I have some rewiring to do...smh
I bought this car in May, and since then I've had to deal with every common problem that Evo 8s have. Sunroof motor screws, window regulator, ignition switch, key switch, and now these pesky Rain Gremlins!

Old Nov 10, 2017, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

So i only had enough daylight to do the bottom wires in each of the 2 connectors, which seemed to be the "Problem" wires. After about 2hrs in this tight little spot i think i did the 5 on the white connector that look corroded, and the 2 green wires on the black connector. So i reconnect the Ground on the battery, and i immediately notice that the lights on the dash were still on, and after starting the car, it still wouldnt turn off... even after disconnecting the battery! I had to pop the clutch just to turn the engine off.
So... Looks like i have a lot more wires to do! I was hoping the problem wasnt too serious, and it would be a somewhat easy fix, but thats just not my luck LoL

If anyone has had this problem, and knows what EXACTLY is the cause of the engine not turning off, and dashlights staying on, Like schematics of which wire in which connector goes where... I would seriously appreciate it. All my Car buddies are giving me Sh*it about switching from a STi to an Evo... :Face Palm:
Old Nov 10, 2017, 09:32 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
http://evoscan.com/manuals/Evolution8ServiceManual.zip

open up the "00_starthere.pdf" and and select volume 3, all the diagrams are there. Sorry you are having so many problems, but it sounds like you bought someone's money pit.
The following users liked this post:
WelDun1 (Nov 10, 2017)
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
http://evoscan.com/manuals/Evolution8ServiceManual.zip

open up the "00_starthere.pdf" and and select volume 3, all the diagrams are there. Sorry you are having so many problems, but it sounds like you bought someone's money pit.
Thanx for the link!
For the most part the car is awesome. Ive just had to fix a few things. Up until this point, the sunroof was the worst of it. That wasnt too bad, except ive yet to figure out how to reinitialize the Motor. I see it as getting to know my car. Nothing has cost me money yet except the window regulator, which was like $80. This wire harness issue is definitely the worst thing to happen. I live in Portland Oregon, so Rain is a major factor here in the Pac NW.
Im just going to snip the rest of the wires. The only wire i fixed that concerned me was the 2nd wire up on the left of the top Connector. I believe it was a Blue wire. It seemed to be a bit burnt, as u can see in the pic. Ive actually noticed a few other ppl have the same iisue in their pics. No corrosion, but a bit burnt. Thats the wire id like to know what it is/ where it goes!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

so i got around to rewiring more of the wires today. I think i did all except maybe 6 wires, 3 on each side on top of the white connector. those all seemed to be pretty good. I also replaced the negative battery cable because it was the cheap lead type terminals that crack if you tighten them too much.
So when i reconnected the battery, this time i didnt hear the starter solenoid clicking which was a good sign. Then i checked my dash, and all lights were off except the door ajar light! Good news! Last test was starting the car, and then seeing if it will turn off normally and it did! Awesome! So i put a bunch of dielectric grease on the back of every wire that i left in the connector, as well as at all the wire splices/connections that i made with butt connectors. So they are butt connected with water resistant/heat shrink connectors, and dielectric grease at the ends... Should be good to go!
Now the only thing left is to take care of that good for nothing leaky fender grommet!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 08:23 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
awesome work! Electrical gremlins suck, but they are fixable. There is nothing like that feeling when you finally get rid of the bastards.
The following users liked this post:
patric78 (Nov 13, 2017)