Notices
Evo Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical systems, audio system upgrades, or alarm configurations.

Battery Relocation for evo 8 wire type questions

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Battery Relocation for evo 8 wire type questions

I was planing on using welding wire for the battery relocation. I was specifically thinking of using 2 gauge wire like this. Will this hold up the car is mostly driven in the warmer months with a couple starts during the winter in the Northeast?

Amazon Amazon

Also I think I am gonna call around to welding shops to see what they have to maybe pick it up locally, what type of gauge should I ask for? I am using the evo x distribution block upfront for a clean install with a 150 amp inline fuse close to the battery box

thanks
Old May 23, 2018, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

I eould go with 1/0 awg to reduce voltage drop as much as possible. You could run two 2awg leads instead. I think you can get welding wire in a single 2 conductor jacket. Welding wire itself is fine, less strands but just as durable and you'll add split loom and shrink tubing to protect anyway
Old May 29, 2018, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by BillAce
I eould go with 1/0 awg to reduce voltage drop as much as possible. You could run two 2awg leads instead. I think you can get welding wire in a single 2 conductor jacket. Welding wire itself is fine, less strands but just as durable and you'll add split loom and shrink tubing to protect anyway
Hmm i was just about to take on this project myself and i have the 2 guage along with the battery distribution, do you think the voltage drop will be that bad, i am in florida. Also the distribution block has fuses in it, do i really need another 150 amp near the battery ? I have seen varying suggestions on this.
Old May 30, 2018, 01:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
I have had a 1 gauge wire and I currently run a 4 gauge wire. I didn't notice any difference between them. I believe this welding cable is a better quality cable than what I have used.
Old May 30, 2018, 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

Ideally you want no voltage drop . Then factor in current demand and make sure you've got room to upgradr in the future. I have a secomd fuel pump, amps, PC, gauges, ignition amplifier and other items that draw more than stock . Upgrading alternator leads and upgrading / adding grounds help too. I think it makes sense to build in some room for future upgrades or highet demand sincr it can only help now