Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

anyone with US Mirage with EVO motor

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Clay
the evo motor bolts right up to a galant tranny
That would be on the tranny according to the mechanic (He's Japanese, quiet, hard working man)

I agree with GP, you'd be better off using the ECU and harness coming with the 4G63 you'll be using. since from EVO IV to VI TME, there are many changes for the engine...so I assume the programs are different, too...
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, glad this got cleared up a bit... I was kinda going, is this just the same ol' ol'. Sounds like it'd be a ****load of work...
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:09 PM

yah i figured you would run into a mount problem on the tranny

see the galant fwd tranny has that mount , thats why we dont run into that problem, it could just be custom fabbed though

hmm, about the ecu, i do have the evo4 ecu and wiring harness that came with my motor, i just...im not sure if its gunna match up with the wires in my car, like all the accessories, i hope the plugs match up, if not im gunna have to single out each wire

the reason the evo1-3 is so easy to work on is because it is essentially the same as a built eclipse gst motor, and we know those lol

but since the evo4 is backwards and has new additions, its a lil confusing, but...

ill post all my problems and solutions as i go through the project
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

IF (a big if) the EVO engine bolt right up to the Galant tranny. It will be one of the biggest "breakthru" in the research.... I knew the 1.8 tranny is compatible with the EVO engine, but given the strength of the tranny...keep your finger crossed using that one.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by StreetLancer
Okay, glad this got cleared up a bit... I was kinda going, is this just the same ol' ol'. Sounds like it'd be a ****load of work...
well it can be done with out a ****LOAD of work, if you wanna keep it fwd and have a guy who can weld a mount for you...im not sure about the tranny issue, i guess you would have to use the evo awd tranny , and weld the VC or get a VC eliminator kit

it could be done, you would just have ot find someone who knew what they were doin

anytime you are putting a motor from one car, into a different car, its never gunna be "easy" thats why you dont see Everyone with it, but ... thats why its good, cuz not everyone has it :-)
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

hmm, about the ecu, i do have the evo4 ecu and wiring harness that came with my motor, i just...im not sure if its gunna match up with the wires in my car, like all the accessories, i hope the plugs match up, if not im gunna have to single out each wire

ill post all my problems and solutions as i go through the project
Mmm...I strongly recommend you to contact TAD, and RRE for this matter or whoever has a copy of the CN9A factory repair manual. I assume you will have to do some slice & dice...Good Luck

Do keep us posted on the project
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

it could be done, you would just have ot find someone who knew what they were doin
Where are you located? I gathered some info...some shops that built EVOs
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Well, it's not easy within Mitsubishi, that's for damn sure... Times like this Honda, Acura, VW and Nissan's swapability seem kinda nice... on paper.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Lan Evo
IF (a big if) the EVO engine bolt right up to the Galant tranny. It will be one of the biggest "breakthru" in the research.... I knew the 1.8 tranny is compatible with the EVO engine, but given the strength of the tranny...keep your finger crossed using that one.
well im sure the stock 4g64 tranny wont hold long, its automatic in the new galants, but as soon as that goes, im getting a level10 tranny, those last for ever... www.level10.com

they will build my tranny, or if i dont feel like doin that, ill get a 2000 eclipse 4g64 manual tranny and use that and bulk it up

but the 94-98 2.4L 4g64 tranny works on the evo1-3 motor (we already built one)
and the 99-02 2.4L 4g64 tranny works on the evo4^ (almost ready to drop in)
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:16 PM

Where are you located? I gathered some info...some shops that built EVOs
im in tampa florida
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Now, in FL, I don't know anybody....

Most of the shops that I know of that have done this are in North/CA
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:19 PM

Mmm...I strongly recommend you to contact TAD, and RRE for this matter or whoever has a copy of the CN9A factory repair manual. I assume you will have to do some slice & dice...Good Luck

Do keep us posted on the project
i contacted RRE, ill see if they can help, can you give me TAD's contact info

im sure its not gunna be an easy project, or else someone would have done it already, but ill make it work, then ill post how to do it, so others can do it too...

Being the first in a project is always hardest, but that makes it all the more enjoyable when its done, and you are helping people that are in the same position you were in before the work (helpless)
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

TAD:

http://www.tadmotorsports.com/contact.htm

I called them long long time ago, while they were still doing the conversion. Now they're just way to busy with Rally customer and their own race schedule
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:29 PM

here check this out, he did it in his mirage, with an older 4g63, no the same as the evo4^ in a newer mirage but, it gives some insight

http://www.vysor.com/lancerproject.htm
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

here check this out, he did it in his mirage, with an older 4g63, no the same as the evo4^ in a newer mirage but, it gives some insight

http://www.vysor.com/lancerproject.htm
Oh, I have that as one of my bookmarks I even have a color print out of this article

Thanks, and good luck

Quick Reply: anyone with US Mirage with EVO motor