Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

anyone with US Mirage with EVO motor

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2002, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone with US Mirage with EVO motor

if anyone has a usdm mirage with a jdm lancer evo motor in it, could you tell me how you did the wiring for that? did most of it plug right in? or did you have to wire new plugs? and if so, how did you do it? did you have a wiring diagram? and if so could you help me out?

clay
Old Nov 20, 2002, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think that it's possible... I may be wrong, however, the USDM Mirage has a 4G93 engine, which is a completely different family than the 4G63 that the Evo uses. This has been discussed ad naseum by the Lancer crowd (4G94), and the conclusion that it would possibly involve over 15K for the swap.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Ahem, I would highly doubt that you can find infomation here. However, you might want to place a call to TAD motorsports OR Road Race Engineering...
Old Nov 20, 2002, 04:17 PM

thanks
Old Nov 20, 2002, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Was I off? I may have misunderstood the post, and I'm the first to admit it.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 04:32 PM

you can put a 4g63 in a usdm mirage, you can also put a 4g64 in it depending on what year mirage it is will determine which 4g63 goes into it, reverse rotation or not, i already know that it goes in, but i was wondering if anyone put a JDM 4g63t in their mirage, cuz i need to know about the jdm wiring...

there are tons of people who put usdm 4g63t motors in there usdm mirages, thats a common thing
Old Nov 20, 2002, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Really. What engine code? I mean, because I know that with the 1.8 being closely linked to our 2.0 that the swap had been all but ruled out.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Clay
there are tons of people who put usdm 4g63t motors in there usdm mirages, thats a common thing
There ARE various people who did this conversions. However, those are mostly 3rd or 4th Gen Mirage which have the same engine orientation as the DSM/EVO I-III.

In regards to putting a DSM 4G63 into a 5G Mirage/New Lancer. There are someone who were trying to put this project off. However, they claim the funds involved in this project will be very high. The ONLY car that features this setup is Sean Glazer's FWD Mirage. However, due to the unreliable nature of this car. He didn't race it much
Old Nov 20, 2002, 04:51 PM

well, all of the mirages could run some kind of 4g63, see even the old school hatchback mirages that looked like colts, those could run a 4g63t, i think the one out of a 1st gen eclipse/talon/laser, 6bolt i think...then as they got older, i think you could put a 2g 4g63t in, 7bolt i think...in a mirage they might be interchangeable, but yah you could put them in all the way up untill 1998, thats when they converted over to the reverse rotation

the evo motor spins the same way as our usdm 4g63t. its the trannsmission that spins the opposite direction. an eclipse 4g63t tranny has a counter rotating shaft to make the tranny spin in the right direction. the lancer evo eliminated this counter rotating shaft to reduce friction and enable the engine to be mounted passanger side for better weight distribution.

this change happened in the evo4 in japan, 1996 i think, and in america in the mirage 1998

so you match them up,
a 98^ mirage takes a evo4^
a 98 and older mirage takes a usdm 4g63t (or evo1-3)

there were also 2 versions of the 4g64 motor, this was a 2.4 liter 4cyl that came in the galant, and now comes in the 2000^ eclipse 4cyl
that motor was converted to reverse rotation in 99 in america, just like the evo4 was converted in 1996 in japan...
this motor also goes into the mirage because it bolts in just like an evo4 motor...
the old 4g64 goes into the 98 mirageand older
and the new 4g64 goes into the 98^ mirage

this is how they make a stroked (2.4L) 4g63t, they use a 2.4L galant block and a 4g63t head to make a bigger 4g63t

all these combinations can be put into any of the mirages, as long as you match the generations so the rotations match
Old Nov 20, 2002, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Lan Evo

There ARE various people who did this conversions. However, those are mostly 3rd or 4th Gen Mirage which have the same engine orientation as the DSM/EVO I-III.

In regards to putting a DSM 4G63 into a 5G Mirage/New Lancer. There are someone who were trying to put this project off. However, they claim the funds involved in this project will be very high. The ONLY car that features this setup is Sean Glazer's FWD Mirage. However, due to the unreliable nature of this car. He didn't race it much
i think the expensive part of the project on the new mirages comes with the awd drivetrain and tranny, if someone just wanted to drop the motor in on a fwd tranny, (like a galant tranny) then it wouldnt be a major problem

on the galantforums, www.GalantSpeed.com we have built an evo2 powered 7th gen galant a 96 to be precise on a galant tranny, its fwd, although he used to run the awd tranny with a viscous cup eliminator kit for awhile

im workin the evo4 into the new generation galant, should be the same project as puttin it into a new mirage except for the tranny
but im leaving mine fwd

the expensive part everyone always talks about is the awd conversion

there was a mirage on ebay about a year ago that had the full motor and drivetrain swap...it can be done with the right work and knowledge i guess it all depends on how far you wanna take it, (fwd awd etc)
Old Nov 20, 2002, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

OK. Couple problems, one of the local shops trying to install a EVO IV (CN9A) 4G63 into a 97 Mirage (97-01 Mirage is the 5G) without success since there is one more mount needs to be fabricated on the Mirage body and each and every mounts are off slightly....

The main issue will be what tranny to use for FWD? OR cut the floor to convert the car into AWD...
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Front clip.

Clay, sounds to me like you'd be better off finding an importer to bring in an entire front clip from a late model EVO so you can get the entire wiring harness and computer, I doubt anything from your mirage is going to be useful. That way you'll be able to trace the leads to get all of the accesories to work on your car. I'll try to find the site that I found that sells wrecked JDM cars.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:01 PM

hey, lol as soon as i read and reply there is another,

but ya while you were writing your last one, i was also writing about the tranny being the problem lol look up there , we are thinking alike

ok well heres my question, is the mount that needed to be fabricated on the tranny or on the motor?

the evo motor bolts right up to a galant tranny
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

I see where you're coming from and know what exactly you're trying to achieve. The DSM/EVO I-III motor is easier to work with since there are numerious parts available in the US.

However, for the CN9A+ 4G63, problem is there are not a whole lot of people knows how to work with them. TAD did several Mirage -> EVO replica conversions. However, they stop doing that due to various issues. RRE would be also very knowledgeable in this.

If you really want some more reading material. You can click on the link in my signature.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:03 PM

Re: Front clip.

Originally posted by GPTourer
Clay, sounds to me like you'd be better off finding an importer to bring in an entire front clip from a late model EVO so you can get the entire wiring harness and computer, I doubt anything from your mirage is going to be useful. That way you'll be able to trace the leads to get all of the accesories to work on your car. I'll try to find the site that I found that sells wrecked JDM cars.
oh na na na, hold on a second let me back up , i dont have a mirage, i actually have a 99 galant, and i have a full evo4 motor with full uncut wiring harness and ecu , i can trace it all i just didnt wanna have to, but it looks like i guess im gunna have to

i asked about the mirage guys doing it because i know no body has done it in a galant yet, but galant and mirage wiring in the us should be similar so they would be able to help me with the wiring, but it looks like im gunna have to do it the old fashioned way

Quick Reply: anyone with US Mirage with EVO motor