Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Just installed ACT clutch. Now chatter and pedal vibration!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2004, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright, about 600 miles on the clutch and it's not getting better or worse, and it holds power great once engaged. The clutch pedal still vibrates for the first inch or so of takeup before it starts disengaging. This includes disengagement from neutral and between shifts at speed. There is still a little clutch chatter during low rpm stop+go type take-offs, but not above about 1,500 rpm take-offs.

I think there is no painless way to figure out the cause of these things, and fix whatever might need fixing. On the one hand, a transmission shop isn't going to want to tear into a clutch on their dime to solve seemingly minor annoyances that might not be actual problems, and might not be their fault if there are problems. On the other hand, I don't think ACTman is going to fund my little investigation either. This still leaves my wallet in play, and I definitely don't want to pay for another clutch teardown only to have it turn out to be nothing. However, I would fund it if there was enough cause to.

ACTman, if you could humor me please, out of all the possibilities of problems that I may have (mis-torqued pressure plate bolts? mis-installed throwout bearing? etc.) what is the worst-case scenario leaving everything as-is and waiting for catastrophic failure before a full teardown? Do I run the risk of grenading my transmission? Could the torisional vibrations potentially damage the thrust bearing on my engine?
Old Oct 31, 2004, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this clutch as well I got mine from RRE. My clutch feels really different compared to evo81's I am confused as to why the same clutch would feel so much different. My clutch feels much stronger than stock but no where near as strong as evo81's

I have no problems with chatter or a vibrating pedal.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 09:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by machron1
ACTman, if you could humor me please, out of all the possibilities of problems that I may have (mis-torqued pressure plate bolts? mis-installed throwout bearing? etc.) what is the worst-case scenario leaving everything as-is and waiting for catastrophic failure before a full teardown? Do I run the risk of grenading my transmission? Could the torisional vibrations potentially damage the thrust bearing on my engine?
Sorry for the delay. I was at SEMA all week. I tried to post last Sunday night but our system was screwed up and after typing the whole tech bulletin out, it wouldn't let me post and dumped me off. I don't think your transmission or engine will suffer from the vibrating pedal. I assume it only vibrates when your foot is on the pedal. I think the worst case senario is that the pressure plate will be ruined and possibly the guide tube of the transmission that the release bearing slides on. I don't know if this piece is seperate or part of the belhousing.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright,

I'll just wait and see if something happens, and I'll make sure I have a fund for a tranny rebuild in case that guide tube goes.

Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:10 AM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
Originally Posted by ACTman
My biggest concern with the lumpy pedal feel is that the release bearing may not be clipped in properly or damaged the retainer crown (or whatever you call it) upon installation. We issued a new tech bulletin a few months ago (similar to Exedy's) that warns of this. If you are also having disengagment problems that cannot seem to adjust out at the pedal I would be even more suspicious.

DITTO
Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:11 AM
Account Disabled

i run mid 11s at 122+ all the time in my car with act clutch and its great...granted i am going to a twin disc carbon exedy for shifting speed....but its been great ....no rattle, noise, chatter, vibration...nothing
Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Dave,

Can you comment on how the ACT shifts compared to the OEM clutch?
Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:51 AM
Account Disabled

feels great....its easily as smooth as stock (which btw the only real downfall of the stock one is pressure plate clamping force....its not the discs) The act i have is rated at 2900lbs ...but i believe has been tested at around 3100 where the stock is a weak 2300lbs of clamping force. The exedy i got for pennies on the dollar and i wanted to quickest disengagement for faster shifts. but for 99% of the people the $500 act is awesome.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

I have the act and had some noticable vibration initially, but after a thousand miles or so it is no longer apparent. I put the clutch in myself along with a new oem flywheel, so I know it was installed correctly. I think it just needs to be broken in a bit. The clutch holds nicely and I am very pleased with its feel and performance value. No need to buy a $1500 clutch for this car. I have about 10k miles on this clutch with no issues. I removed the stock clutch at 15k and it was still in great condition. I just replaced it because of all the horror stories I heard. I do drag race and the act holds better than stock.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 11:32 AM

From my experience, flywheel chatter is just about normal on almost any aftermarket flywheel. It hasn't really subsided much, if at all. Right now, I'm having problems with my Clutchmasters flywheel as it's grinding against the teeth from the starter and makes a wicked "supercharger" noise upon startup only. It's not meshing properly with the teeth from the flywheel and it has killed 1 starter so far. (Got it covered under warranty)
Clutchmasters believe's that it has nothing to do with their f.w. I also feel vibes in the clutch pedal, and my TO bearing is not allowing my clucth pedal to pop back up after WOT through the gears. (I doubt I will ever buy another CM's product again) I shoulda just gone with the ACT, JWT Centerforce, etc.

...pretty cool that the ACT Pres. is trying to help you out.

Like you, I'm also waiting for something (else) to happen

Anyways, I hope everything works out for you man because I can see where you're coming from. It's not fun to be stuck somewhere because your clutch or f.w. decided to take a crap on you. Good Luck...

later

-B
Old Nov 12, 2004, 10:41 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've just got the ACT clutch installed and I have no chatter or even vibration on the paddle, not more than normal.

But now my 4th gear is popping out. I've email the ACTMAN regarding this...

The dealer is saying that it could be the teeth on the clutch being broken or just minor adjustment isn't done correctly.

But 4th gear popping out is usually the syncros that's worned out or something in the transmission and not the clutch itself, because if it is the clutch all the gears should be popping out.

I'm sorry to steal this thread, but I'm trying to find out what's wrong with it and I don't want the dealer to charge me up the as s for taking the transmission out.

I don't even know if the clutch is broken, the ACT would cover the part and labour that's involved in it, since this started to happen 30 miles after getting the clutch installed....
Old Apr 30, 2007, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

I recently got the ACT clutch installed on my EVO and I am having what I can only conclude is chatter. It really only happens when I am decelerating and in gear. My other problem is that now my shifter is extremely stiff and 5th gear is almost impossible to hit.... Anyone know why that could be?

I have checked under the hood to see if anything is tangled or not put back together correctly, but could not find anything.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like the clutch pedal needs to be adjusted. You're getting clutch chatter when in gear with the clutch pedal pushed down?
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

I had horrible experiences with that clutch. Pedal vibration like hell, chatter like hell, horrible engagement. But I'm one of the few that have had problems. most people love their ACTs. I ripped mine out.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jdav79
I recently got the ACT clutch installed on my EVO and I am having what I can only conclude is chatter. It really only happens when I am decelerating and in gear. My other problem is that now my shifter is extremely stiff and 5th gear is almost impossible to hit.... Anyone know why that could be?

I have checked under the hood to see if anything is tangled or not put back together correctly, but could not find anything.
Here you go:
http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tec...e6430ca67f83f5

Quick Reply: Just installed ACT clutch. Now chatter and pedal vibration!