Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

trouble downshifting at lower speeds on an evo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
trouble downshifting at lower speeds on an evo

Do any of yall have trouble downshifting at lower speeds? I have trouble downshifting from third to second when i'm slowing to 10 miles an hour. Same goes for first gear. Whenever it doesn't go in and I force it in, it grinds. I drove a s2k,civic,miata,celica and it doesn't shift like that. So is this normal for the evo?
Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just keep the clutch in.... put pressure on the shifter towrds the gear you want to go in, but not forceing it in.. and then the shifter willl just fall into gear.. just don't force it...
Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:07 AM
slt
Evolved Member

but then when you take it in for warranty work, they look at you syncros and say that you've been speed shifting and tell you to go fly a kite.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

The first gear syncro seems pretty weak and will often grind if you try to down shift at any thing near 4k. I have had no problems with it at low speeds. Some owners have seen improved performance using Penzoil syncromesh in place of the Mitsu lube. If you are only having the problem when you first start driveing it is just that the tran.s needs to be warmer, this is real common in Getrag boxes too and they aren't cheap.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

I read that 1st and 2nd gear are double or triple synchroed so they are harder to shift into. I sort of had that problem when I just got the car, but now it seems to have soften and gotten easier to drive. But definitely try to get use to the clutch. I find you really need to press it at least half way down for it to engage.

good luck!
Old Nov 2, 2004, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Double Clutch (aka) Rev Match

That will solve all your problems
Old Nov 2, 2004, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
double clutching involves rev matching though as you are blipping the throttle before you go into your last throw.

If your trying to get into first, give it a good double clutch and your syncros will all lign up, letting you get into first the way it was meant to.

If your trying to just downshift into third or fourth, just rev match it ie - blip it in neutral - on your throw into the next lower gear.