Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Read This!!!!!!very Important To All Evo Owners

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read This!!!!!!very Important To All Evo Owners

saw one of my evo buddy's today and he tells me to take my turbo timer out of my car because the shop where we dyno our cars at is doing a bunch of work on his car and they had a couple evo's there with the engine ripped apart due to a problem caused by the turbo timers. called the shop and got the story so here it is. he said the evo's use the same harness as the 2g dsm which i already know, and it has something to do with the voltage going to the coil packs when the key is out of the ignition but with the car still running. all the cars they got in with this problem severely detonated and damaged the #1 and #4 pistons, and obvioulsly bad coil packs. same ones on all the ones that came in. he told me that greddy is making a new plug and play harness that is only made for the evo and will solve this problem. he said he hasn't figured out exactly why this voltage drop is making the 1 and 4 coil packs go out but said he talked with greddy and i guess this is caused by turbo timers using the normal harness that has been out for years. i wasn't so sure when i heard this since i have never heard anything like this before, and i have always owned dsm's, but i would rather be safe than sorry. also why would greddy be making a new harness specifically for the evo if there actually wasn't a problem? so i'm disconnecting my timer this weekend. has anyone else heard of this? also it is only when you take out your key and leave the car running. thought i'd share this info and help keep some cars on the road. thanks for the space.

i've had my greddy timer and harness in my car for over a year now and no problems. better safe than sorry though. will be getting the new harness when they come in. he said almost every distributor for greddy is ordering them and are back ordered. the shop here expects some in a couple of months.

Last edited by WHTEVO; Feb 10, 2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

My TT is built into my Clifford alarm.... Is that different? I just push the trunk button on my fob then turn the key and it runs for 2 mins....
Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

weird??? Never heard of this but this causes some concerns as I have a turbo timer myself??!! Have you heard from other companies? What about Blitz or other companies who make them?
Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

i know greddy emanage was destroying coil packs...
but never heard of the turbo timer thing
Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great, I just ordered my GReddy TT and harness today! So I should NOT install it or what?
Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Most TTs you buy are made for the 2g DSMs, if you buy them from a vendor here...my Blitz II even say's it's for a 2g Eclipse...shouldn't cause too much concern for anyone who has bought one under the "evo" part of a vendor site
Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ThEHiTMaN
My TT is built into my Clifford alarm.... Is that different? I just push the trunk button on my fob then turn the key and it runs for 2 mins....
not sure. from what is sounds like it has something to do with the actuall harness itself when it bypasses the ignition to keep the car running with no key. i guess the voltage isn't the same. guess it fluctuates and that is what damages the coils, which in turn you get detonation and so on.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

I had this same alarm on my 2G dsm.... Never did any damage there... Also couldn't you look at your plugs in #1 and #4 to see if they look different from #2 and #3? I have had the alarm on my evo now for over a year.... Use the TT option every day.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
i went to check this out on my hks type 1...
turned it off.. set it for 2 min...
looked at the voltage... stayed at 14+ volts like 14.2-14.7...
voltage fluctuation at that rate shouldn't cause for any concern right?

thats an awsome feature. what model is it and where can i get?
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tke_413
Great, I just ordered my GReddy TT and harness today! So I should NOT install it or what?
you can but personally i wouldn't. i would ask what company you got it from about what i posted. like i said though, ive had my timer and harness in my car for over a year and always let it idle by itself for at least five to ten minutes after i drive it. no problems here. but i will still be disconnecting it or at least not let the timer let the car run. i'll just sit in it then shut it down.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

When I get off work I will pm you the model when I get home.... Its old but i have used the same alarm in 4 of my cars. Install take it out install take it out so on.... Also with the TT in the alarm you can arm it and the sensors are not armed until the engine shuts off that was it does not trigger your alarm from the vibration of the engine..
Old Feb 10, 2005, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Most TTs you buy are made for the 2g DSMs, if you buy them from a vendor here...my Blitz II even say's it's for a 2g Eclipse...shouldn't cause too much concern for anyone who has bought one under the "evo" part of a vendor site
doesn't matter if you tell them if it for a evo or 2g dsm. they are the same. all manufacturers use the same harness. they are all compatible with eachother. they all use the MT-6 harness. greddy is supposed to be making a new one specially for the evo maybe with a resistor in it or some type of thing.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

I had this same alarm on my 2G dsm.... Never did any damage there... Also couldn't you look at your plugs in #1 and #4 to see if they look different from #2 and #3? I have had the alarm on my evo now for over a year.... Use the TT option every day.
yes you can look at your plugs. that's the real way of seeing how your air fuel ratio is. whether rich, lean or getting any detonation.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

My greddy TT doesnt even keep the car running anymore. It just shuts off and i cant get it to work. Does anybody else have this problem?

Quick Reply: Read This!!!!!!very Important To All Evo Owners