Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

10.5 turbine housing part number?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2005, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so what is the cheaper part number???? unrevised??
Old Mar 11, 2005, 08:23 AM

thanks superhatch. I'll go research if that is the part number.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
o.k... lets say that you go out and grab the 6.5 t.m.e. turbo... what else would you have to purchase to use this turbo?
Old Mar 11, 2005, 08:50 AM

from malibu jack

"you'll need the studs and bolts, and gasket, and some 2000 degree copper anti-seize (professional stuff) Don't reuse the old bolts... Replace the bolts on your downpipe too if its an aftermarket downpipe, if its the stock downpipe with the spring bolt, you can reuse that because it wouldn't have stretched..

You may need a butane torch to heat the bolts/flange to get them to break loose if the car has lots of miles on it.

Also, don't try to do it with the radiator in the car, you'll just end up frustrated.. if possible, remove the entire turbo and do it on a bench"

also, replace the oil gaskets for the oil return.
The following users liked this post:
willitas34 (Mar 15, 2018)
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:22 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are the Mitsubishi PNs for 05 turbine and compressor housings. You can order them from any dealer. Some even discount the parts up to 20%.

Compressor Housing: MD613573 $229.61
Turbine Housing: MD613524 $508.47

'05 turbine housing is more expensive than the older 10.5 housings but it incorporates the revised wastegate for improved mid-range response.

The '05 compressor housing has also been revised from earlier model. I had to wait almost two months for it to come in because it was a new part and had not yet made it to US inventories. I would asume that it should be more readily available by now.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:34 PM
Account Disabled

The million dollar question is,is this the same housing as comes on the TME 6.5 turbo?
I ask this because the material that the TME 6.5 turbine housing is made from is not magnetic,hence alloyand the 9.8 standard housing is.Did anyone buy one of these 10.5 turbine housings that can check weather or not it is magnetic?

Last edited by turboDan; Mar 11, 2005 at 04:41 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 02:17 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

The new '05 compressor housing is non-magnetic. The new '05 10.5 turbine housing w/improved wastegate is magnetic. I no longer have the 10.5 from my 6.5 TME so I cannot confirm whether or not it was magnetic. With the exception of the turbine wheels and shaft , I would think that the design of the housings have more impact on performance than the material they are cast from. I am still using the cartridge from the TME 6.5.

Last edited by jfh; Mar 11, 2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 01:14 AM

Lightbulb Parts is Parts

I'm starting to think that the best of all worlds might be a TME TiAL midsection installed within the 05's Turbine & Compressor sections.

Any comments on that...

MACHC5
Old Mar 12, 2005, 06:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MACHC5
I'm starting to think that the best of all worlds might be a TME TiAL midsection installed within the 05's Turbine & Compressor sections.

Any comments on that...

MACHC5
I am inclined to agree with you.. However I have had the opportunity to compare both the earlier 10.5 housing and later 10.5 housing, the only obvious difference is the flapper (wastegate opening) I think the actual performance difference has to do with the turbulence the earlier flapper design would cause exiting into a stock O2 housing, the newer housing the two exits are close together and oriented in such a way that its not blowing up against the walls of the O2 housing. On an aftermarket O2 housing, or a ported O2 housing, I don't forsee much of a difference in performance.. I don't know of anyone who has had boost creep issues with either design until you get into stroker engines.

Coincidentally, I was lucky when I ordered my compressor cover from an 05 turbo, apparently I got the ONLY one stocked anywhere in the USA initially (I'm sure there's lots available too) But I also got it before they raised the price realizing it was a different part and not just a revision to the 03 turbo part #..

I've posted on this before so I won't repeat what I've said in the past, but the compressor wheel is still a 16G and there is no visible difference between the wheels themselves on the 03 or 05... Therefore the "Performance potential" seen on the 05 cars must be in the combination of the new compressor cover and turbine housing (early or late turbine housing, shouldn't make a significantdifference to you)

However this is the combination I put together.. (No it is NOT currently on the car since I am unfortunately on hold for ANY modifications or tweaking on my car.. long story)

JIC CP9A Exhaust header (There *IS* a difference, the earlier JIC header was thicker walled tubing, and generally equal length tubes) It does NOT have the fittings on it, but it had the tube crossovers without the bosses.

DNP O2 housing (a real one, not a knockoff, this one is labeled as DNP and nicely finished and smoothed on the inside)

16G CHRA is a TiAL assembly from an Evo VII RS2, Its a titanium impeller and shaft, identical to the TME 6.5

Compressor cover is an 05 unit, It is not stock, it has some modifications to it to increase flow with a slight compromise in spool (hence the needed TiAL CHRA)

Turbine housing is a 10.5 EARLY style, A3N material (not sure if that actually means anything useful, but its apparently different than the material on the 03 Evo 8's) The housing is ported, smoothed where possible, and finally will be Thermal Coated along with the JIC header and DNP O2 housing.

I was waiting on a 20G compressor wheel, but obviously that may not happen, however I'm pinging some resources in Japan to see if they can get an Evo 9 Turbocharger to me when they become available service parts. I'm curious about the unit, but also its interchange possibilities and differences in the CHRA

Ultimately, this appears to be the ultimate "Stock Turbo" combination using all mitsubishi parts, therefore making it servicable if necessary at any Mitsubishi dealership. Besides the Stainless parts I used, you can use a ported stock exhaust manifold and O2 housing, personally I would go that route if I didn't already have the parts... Using the ported stock parts, you will have quite a bit of potential, plus visually impossible to distinguish from stock unless you read casting numbers off the housing or cover.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 06:56 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by jfh
The new '05 10.5 turbine housing w/improved wastegate is magnetic.
As I thought,the new 05 turbine housing is not manufactured from the A3N material,only made from F5.Must just be the TME 6.5 turbine housing uses the A3N material as no part of it is magnetic,not even the wastgate flapper.The good thing about the A3N material is it has very good heat disapation and is affected very little from lots of heat
Old Jul 6, 2016, 05:39 AM

Turbine housing part numbers

Hitachi Hercunite turbine casting

Turbine housing made from F5N Hercunite (withstand up to 900°C)
7 part number: MD613632
8 part number: MD613521
8.5 part number: MD613524
9 part number: MD613524

Turbine housing made from A3N Hercunite (withstand up to 950°C)
7 part number: MD613633
8 part number: MD613522
8.5 part number: MD613525
9 part number: MD613525

Last edited by Yota Eater; Jul 6, 2016 at 05:46 AM.