Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

modding vs. modding w/tuning

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
modding vs. modding w/tuning

well i finally got my evo back with my new superleggaras and i am happy with the look. well anyway i was cruisin' around and ran in to my buddy with an sti and he told me he just got a dowpipe, he had a cat back to begin with so now hes got pretty much a turboback right? anyways he says it a lot faster and now he can take me bla bla bla. i dont care to race him since ive beat him before dp and im still stock but i guess my question to you guys is without any tuning what so ever wouldnt that cause him to lose power? ive done a lot of research on the matter but i just cant figure how changing the A/F and also losing psi on an already low boosting car can do well? just curious and would like some thoughts on it.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

no, you won't lose power. and you beat him stock?
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i beat him and he had cat-back. and yes i was stock a have an 04' RS and i ran a 13.3, 13.4, and a 13.5 nothing else. he ran a 13.4, 13.6, and 13.7 at sacramento raceway. hes a damn good driver and had the car longer. i came from an 95 integra gsr so i didnt know shiat about launching awd.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by RSVIII
so now hes got pretty much a turboback right?
yes.

Originally Posted by RSVIII
without any tuning what so ever wouldnt that cause him to lose power?
Not necessarily, although i am not familiar with the 2.5L Subaru motor & setup, but generally turboback systems give power without a tune. When I installed my buschur I noticed a quicker spool time and more top end power, and I haven't had a tune yet.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by negativeB
no, you won't lose power. and you beat him stock?
Does this surprise you? Last time I checked EVOs and STis dynoed very similiar and have been running similiar times since both cars arrived in the USA. Honestly I don't even think it's much of an argument when it comes to the 05 EVOs, they are faster and quicker.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GIsnickers
yes.

Not necessarily, although i am not familiar with the 2.5L Subaru motor & setup, but generally turboback systems give power without a tune. When I installed my buschur I noticed a quicker spool time and more top end power, and I haven't had a tune yet.
I agree, good post.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

so, off topic im getting turboback but i dont know whats the best setup. i live about 25min. from vishnu here but i dont have time to tune. i guess i need advice on a good turboback setup, either peiced from diff. vendors, or just all one brand hit me up. thanx