Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

? how to wire DSM Power Transistor

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2005, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? how to wire DSM Power Transistor

I am making my own coil on plug ignition. I have everything figured out.
I could use help on how to wire a DSM (2G) Power Transistor.
The Evo coils have built in transistors. So, in order to use a C2DI or DIS-2 unit, I need to wire in a DSM power transistor between the ECU and the ignition unit (which ever one I decide to use).
I have seen several different types, 5 pin, 7 pin, 1G, 2G, turbo, non-turbo.
Any DSM guys to help me out.
Once I'm done I plan on posting a "how-to" for the COP set-up.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Since you want to be a cheap *** and do it yourself!!!! Its not that hard. Use a 1g service manual, 91-94 model or a 2g manual. Basically comes down to a 12 + power, ground, tach signal, coil one and coil two which account for four wires. As the ECU alternates grounds on wasted spark systems which covers about all 4G63's. But the seven pin transistor has two in and two out. The two in are from the ECU and amounts to the coils grounds, which are sent to the coils with the two out wires of the transistor. Coils are hot all the time, and fire up as the alternating grounds are switched back and for. Hook it up wrong and you could damage the ECU though. That gets expensive.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The ecu supplies a voltage to the base of the transistor to turn the trasistor on which provides a ground to the coil to charge the primary circuit. When the ecu removes the source at the base the primary field collapses to generate the spark, etc.
Each transistor has 3 connections. In general, 1 connection from the MFI relay, 1 to ground and the other is the input signal from the ecu.

They are most likely all NPN so in this drawing http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...gsol/tran1.gif
The transistor on the right is the one you need to look at.
The left side is ECU, the top is power source from MFI relay and the bottom is the ground.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

Man, I was going to do the same exact thing so I could run a DIS-2! I have spare 2G coils laying around, but I can't find the ignitor that was with them and haven't gotten around to ordering one.

Definitely keep us posted. I have a 2G manual laying around collecting dust somewhere too, so if you need anything from it, PM me.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Early- Thanks for your comments (I'm not making it because I'm a cheap-***. I'm making it because that's what I do. I make stuff.) and theory of ignition.
What I need is part numbers and pin-outs.
I know how it works, just need to know what wires go where.

Black, The wiruing diagram for the transistor would be nice to see.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 05:53 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bishiboy
I'm not making it because I'm a cheap-***. I'm making it because that's what I do. I make stuff.
People still do that? Cool! As long as you're getting down and dirty with the ignition you should look into ion current sensing for knock and cylinder pressure feedback. For starters check out http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...urrent+sensing

Dave
Old Jun 21, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

I have the wiring diagram for the 1g and 2g which if you go to the haltech website it should be on there somewhere...

bryan