Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Attention-do Not Buy Msd Dis-2

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2002, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attention-do Not Buy Msd Dis-2

I tried the MSD DIS-2 ingition box on my lancer and it was a big shambles. MSD claimed that it would work on any 4 cylinder using two coil packs. Boy were they ever wrong. Turns out our coils have a power transistor inside of them, which is a major conflict with the MSD unit. The car won't even start now. Damn thing is sitting at Mitsu right now being worked on. Lucky i think they are going to take care of me and cover it with the warranty. So much for being a pioneer. Oh well on to other mods.
Old May 20, 2002, 05:57 AM

if they cover that under that under warranty you are one lucky f-cker
now they have to in and fix your mistake. I hope it does get cover though. Want to try cutting some more wires again?
Old May 20, 2002, 06:20 AM

The ****ty part was that everything was correct. Damn those MSD bastards for telling me at first it would work for my car. I say screw the warranty lets turbo it.
Old May 20, 2002, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.lancerforums.com/forums/s...&highlight=MSD

Run through the thread for info on the red box. I can't even figure out if it'll work or not.
Old May 21, 2002, 12:52 AM

On that thread you had me look at the guy who wrote it said to use MSD coils. so if you do use msd coils then yes you can make it work. what happened was that the stock coils contain a power transistor. so when it was hit with that incredible jolt of power from the msd unit the transistor wouldn't except the voltage or it over-temp it and sent the massive amount of voltage that the msd unit puts out straight to my poor dead computer. with the msd coils, if they make some that will fit our lancers, it would be a great unit. hope that helps. going to tow my lancer to orlando and have a turbo mod done and install an aftermarket computer. wish me luck.
Old May 21, 2002, 01:01 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

That's so rotten I can't even begin to tell you. Thank God the dealership is fixing it. They get paid by Mitsubishi for the work they do instead of reaming you anyway. It's not like they're losing money, they're just keeping a customer. That's seriously putting a damper on my plans for an NA beast (or as close to it as I could be). That means that intake, bored throttle body, spark plugs and wires are the only realistic mods under the hood to remain NA doesn't it? Well sheeyit. That stinks. Maybe MSD or another reputable ignition company will or does make an ignition that will fit our application.
Old May 21, 2002, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

hobie, hobie, hobie...valve springs, camshafts, high compression pistons, multiple throttle bodies all are left to be done still on the n/a engine.
Old May 21, 2002, 01:48 AM

Unfortunately mitsu won't pay for it b/c they have to send the comp in to the main guys at mitsu and if they do they will see that the comp was spiked and it will come back on them. that is why i am going to a turbo upgrade with an aftermarket computer. as far as ignition stuff...i would read the n/a build up section of the forum they seem to have a few ideas that should work. also check and see what the mirage guys are doing. alot of it crosses over.
Old May 21, 2002, 02:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Not doing a multiple throttle body engine. The other things aren't exactly readily available.