Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Flywheels - ProStreet/Fidanza/Stock

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2005, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flywheels - ProStreet/Fidanza/Stock

I know this has been discussed times before and I searched and Ive been reading through but so far it just seems like a lot of opinions. Im torn on 2 things. First off... Stock vs. aftermarket flywheels.... THEN which aftermarket is better???!

I know the benefits of a lighter flywheel, and I know the drawbacks. However, Im looking for what is going to be most RELIABLE. I plan on running an ACT clutch later in the summer.

I cant afford downtime so I was going to either buy a brand new stock flywheel or of course just get the Fidanza (aluminum) or the Prostreet (forged steel?) I just need some good info on what is the most reliable best setup. Im aware aluminum dissipates heat faster than steel but its also weaker. So which is the better choice here? Should I stick with stock? Please no opinions, I need some hard facts here! If it matters, I drive my car A LOT, I commute to school and I do race but not very often.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would like to know also how people USING either the fidanza or prostreet are liking their purchase.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

I went the steel route (Toda Flywheel) because I truely am going to put my foot into it (often), but also I think that steel is more street-able as you do not lose as many revs on the upshift, and do not have to rev as high in 1st gear.

Now barrelling down the straightaway with a alum flywheel is better performance wise...but I went steel for the street.

Just my 2c
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

I have the ACT Street Disc with Prostreet Flywheel. Awesome combo now with 3k mi
Old Jun 21, 2005, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Keep in mind that truing up the stock flywheel only costs $35.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 08:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have the fidanza and love it. people who complain about daily driving problems with lighteright flywheels must have no idea what they speak of. I've run a fidanza in my evo, 95 tsi awd, 98 tsi awd, and 97 gst, never had one problem. I sell them all time without any problems either.

stock flywheels arent that great. The worst I hear is they overheat and cause hot sopts on the surface which can lead to warping or baking the disc so it wont grab. def a good idea to get rid of this while your in there

chromoly flywheels are not optimum for high hp awd cars. Thats why I dont really like selling the act flywheel for the awd turbo eclipse/talon. because after a year of abuse they are sometimes not resurfaceable. awd cars launch by putting a beating on the clutch/flywheel combo. this causes massive disc and friction surface wear. You can only take off so much off a flywheel before you run the risk of them being too thin. So i've seen people with act's in dsm's need to buy another flywheel because theirs was shot. THATS WHY I LIKE FIDANZA. YOU ONLY HAVE TO BUY IT ONCE. THEN WHEN YOU NEED A NEW CLUTCH, YOU JUST BUY A NEW FRICTION PLATE AND BOLT IT ON. BAM, BRAND NEW FLYWHEEL AGAIN.

We at No Limit could have some Joe Schmoe machine shop make flywheels out of chromoly if we wanted to, but we believe the fidanza is superior to any chromoly flywheel made for the evo. These days, you get what you pay for...
Old Jun 22, 2005, 07:19 AM
Account Disabled

chromoly flywheels are not optimum for high hp awd cars. Thats why I dont really like selling the act flywheel for the awd turbo eclipse/talon. because after a year of abuse they are sometimes not resurfaceable. awd cars launch by putting a beating on the clutch/flywheel combo. this causes massive disc and friction surface wear. You can only take off so much off a flywheel before you run the risk of them being too thin. So i've seen people with act's in dsm's need to buy another flywheel because theirs was shot. THATS WHY I LIKE FIDANZA. YOU ONLY HAVE TO BUY IT ONCE. THEN WHEN YOU NEED A NEW CLUTCH, YOU JUST BUY A NEW FRICTION PLATE AND BOLT IT ON. BAM, BRAND NEW FLYWHEEL AGAIN.
[/QUOTE]

I guess you never had a chromoly flywheel before then? This is the marketing spile Fidanza likes to feed people, but in fact, it is not true

You CAN resurface a chromoly flywheel, just like you can resurface the stock flywheel - any machine shop can do it, provided there is enough meat there. There are advantages in integrity to having a one piece unit made of steel. In the DSM world, people replace their stock flywheels when they do a clutch for 2 reasons: 1. they forgot to cut the step into the flywheel when the clutch was first installed, resulting in awful drivability, and a toasted clutch and flywheel. 2. The OEM flywheel for a DSM was around $100 - if it's $50 to resurface and $100 to replace, what would you do?

There are upsides and downsides to a 2 piece flywheel that have been discussed many many times over. Upside is the replaceable friction disk. Downside is the replaceable friction disk - since something has to attach that disk to the flywheel itself. Those bolts can fail...have seen it myself on far less powerful cars than an Evo.

At the end of the day, its a toss up - use what your installer prefers!
Old Jun 22, 2005, 07:29 AM
EvoM Guru

I prefer the stock flywheel by far. The stock flywheel is made of forged steel, forget aluminum or even chromoly, the stocker is superior in quality and heat dissipation. Do you guys realize that aluminum will warp much easier than steel? Do you realize that the lighter the flywheel the less heat it can absorb before it warps? You think the stock flywheel has hotspots, check out an aluminum flywheel after a few launches. This is why I prefer sticking with something that works, stock.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate it.

I had a Fidanza on my 90 AWD Talon - my brother also has had a Fidanza on his 91 AWD Talon, however, he recently switched to an ACT Chromoly Flywheel because the dowel pins came out of the Fidanza. Its still a toss up.

However, is the Pro-street chromoly? I could have sworn it was just forged steel.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Im runing the ACT Street Clutch with the Fidanza flywheel no driveability issues at all and got a good deal on both of them so cant complain, ive had it for the last ~12000 miles or so and its all good
Old Jun 22, 2005, 08:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I guess you never had a chromoly flywheel before then? This is the marketing spile Fidanza likes to feed people, but in fact, it is not true

You CAN resurface a chromoly flywheel, just like you can resurface the stock flywheel - any machine shop can do it, provided there is enough meat there.
exactly my point. high hp awd cars put deep striations in flywheels. I've seen many people bring chromoly flywheels to machine shops and they machinist's have said they cant do it because they dont want to have their name on it when it explodes. you need to take off too much on chromoly flywheels and it ends not being safe. All these people on evom are jumping on these cheap chromoly flywheels, i think they will be in for a rude awakening when they need to get them resurfaced and need a new clutch next year...
Old Jun 22, 2005, 08:56 AM
Former Sponsor

and anyone who says there are driveability issues with a fidanza obviously doesnt own one. just silverbullet, i love my act/fidanza combo.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 09:10 AM
Account Disabled

[QUOTE=NOLIMITMOTORS]you need to take off too much on chromoly flywheels and it ends not being safe[QUOTE]

A flywheel, like a rotor, can be cut/resurfaced. It is either beyond the point of cutting/resurfacing (meaning that it was beyond abused), or it's not.

I have owned high HP AWD cars in the past, all of which I at some point, went to a chromoly flywheel - and all those flywheels were able to be cut at least 2 times (the JUN on my Galant VR4 was cut 3 times in the years I owned the car). One was JUN, one was Exedy/STi - both were 1 piece billet chromoly steel.

I would not go so far as to "endorse" one over the other - both work...but I also won't put one down vs another because of marketing hype.

As with anything else, there are plusses and minusses - do your research and use what you are comfortable with

Last edited by Z1 Performance; Jun 22, 2005 at 09:13 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

How much is the stock Flywheel new from Mitsu? If its more then the Prostreet I think the prostreet one is a better deal cause at least its lighter if it is the same durability. The lightening looks to come from the cuts out of the outer edges and center hub, the thickness of the friction surface looks the same as stock. Anyone know if people have had warping problems with the Prostreet flywheel? Im thinking of getting one if not a new stock flywheel.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XxBLACKMAMBAxX
How much is the stock Flywheel new from Mitsu? If its more then the Prostreet I think the prostreet one is a better deal cause at least its lighter if it is the same durability. The lightening looks to come from the cuts out of the outer edges and center hub, the thickness of the friction surface looks the same as stock. Anyone know if people have had warping problems with the Prostreet flywheel? Im thinking of getting one if not a new stock flywheel.
Its I believe $250 from Lancershop and they have competitive pricing so Id assume aound there!

Quick Reply: Flywheels - ProStreet/Fidanza/Stock