Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Any "underhood" Methanol explosions yet?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2005, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smokedmustang
You watch your mouth son! Dont make me get out the belt again! now GO TO YOUR ROOM! He will surely state what it is, but I do believe that is what he uses.

I just got in an argument with the wife, she tells me I spend too much money on BEER! I went into her bathroom and told her "you spend too much money on make-up, eyeliners,lipstick, botox, etc..." She then pipes back " its so I can look pretty for you!!!!!!!!" I then told her: "THATS WHAT THE BEER IS FOR!!!!!!!!!"

as usual, todays jokes are free! I once hurt my back picking up this Asian kid, I spun him around over my head in an attempt to dis-orient him!

the jokes keep comming out, I think its time to UP my meds!
LMAO that is classic.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I only read the first few pages.

First off, methanol is CHEAP and pretty available at any race shop that also sells race fuel. Denatured if you are lucky you can buy it for about $8 per gallon. Methanol you can get for under $3 per gallon. One large reason to buy it, performance compared to straight denatured is about the same with a very very slight advantage going to the methanal.

This particular problem (starter of the thread) is obviously from improper installation. The fitting for the kit was obviously not tight or it would not have come loose.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jul 12, 2005, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ted B
Industrial grade ethanol IS denatured ethanol. Ethanol that is not denatured is potable, which is subject to taxes and costs much, much more than methanol. This is why methanol is preferrable as a fuel for hi-perf apps.
Hey Ted...does it matter what grade methanol? I called a supply store that carries it, but he asked what grade? The cheapest stuff work?

Thanks
Old Jul 12, 2005, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I only read the first few pages.

First off, methanol is CHEAP and pretty available at any race shop that also sells race fuel. Denatured if you are lucky you can buy it for about $8 per gallon. Methanol you can get for under $3 per gallon. One large reason to buy it, performance compared to straight denatured is about the same with a very very slight advantage going to the methanal.

This particular problem (starter of the thread) is obviously from improper installation. The fitting for the kit was obviously not tight or it would not have come loose.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Hello David,
YES the problem WAS the installation, and by no means the product at all! Thanks for pitching in on some insight, we appreciate that!
Old Jul 12, 2005, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone post a picture of the $3 methanol gallon and from what store to help me out since it looks like this is the route I'm going
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

find your local chemical supply shop or a shop that sells racing fuels....buying online will cost you a lot more than 3 bucks because of shipping the stuff
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Last time I bought methanol it was about $2.50 per gallon, that was only a few months ago. I bought it from a Torco Racing fuels distributor and bought a 55 gallon drum. Just talked to a guy that bought it for $2.35 per gallon from VP.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jul 12, 2005, 01:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by gsujeff55
Hey Ted...does it matter what grade methanol? I called a supply store that carries it, but he asked what grade? The cheapest stuff work?
Tech grade is typically 99+%, and that is fine.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 03:27 AM
Evolved Member

Car is to be Dynoed today! should have some info by tonight if nothing catastrophic happens, I have my fingers crossed.