Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The Ultimate BOV Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2005, 06:10 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the plug above is not a result of runnig VTA - it is a reult of too rich a tune, or using too cold a plug for the application. When venting to atmosphere, the car does not run any richer at idle than it otherwise would, nor does it run any richer at WOT than it normally would - it only runs richer between shifts.

Runing VTA with a BOV on these cars is hit or miss - some people's cars run just fine, with only a hint of richness between shifts, other people's stall. There is no way to tell how yours will behave, so it is trial and error. I ahve seen alot of cars come in VTA where various clamps were not tight, and as a result, stalled when going from throttle to off throttle. I've also seen many a car come in where they owner started playing with the preload screw, and got it so fa out of adjustment, we had to reset it just to get the BOV to play nicely again. This is exactly why HKS has since done away with it....there really is no point to adjusting it on a stock turbo car.

Brian (Turbodawgs) post about the HKS is exactly what I have experienced...it is at its best (like ANY BOV with a stock MAF) when recirculated

Last edited by Z1 Performance; Sep 14, 2005 at 06:12 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedracer2169
you knwo what would make this thread better?
some sound clips
let's discuss VTA BOV sounds when those only add to the problem
Old Sep 23, 2005, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

I run the MR DV and love it so far. Holds my boost very well and gives me absolutely no driveability problems. It is fairly audible with my HKS RS intake too.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
I just purchased the GFB/Works BOV and it works flawlessly on my 2005 Evo MR. No stalling at all (not even lowered RPM's). I have it set to the recommended Works settings and it sounds super loud with a smooth Whoooooosh sounds. It has a volume control knob on it (which they call a volume knob) It is set aboub 35% VTA and I think it sounds perfect. It has 11 positions on the VTA (volume setting). That allows you to go from full VTA to full recirculate. The installation is a breeze and you can adjust it completely with no hand tools at all.
Brian
I had to take my GFB bov out of my 03 evo. Before I had HKS 272 cams installed, it made the car stall, the highest I could go was 50% vta, anything above that and the car would stall at idle or a throttle blip. I called Works and they said if you don't have the stock airbox the MAF gets all screwed up by the bov and causes it to stall.

After I got my cams installed, it would stall all the time, I put it to 100% recirc and it still stalled almost every time I drove it and after every throttle blip. 2 times, I was going around a curve and the car died on me and I almost ran off the road.

I took it off and put back on the stock bov and it has not stalled once. So now I am looking for a bov that is 100% recirc but is loud. I love the vta sound, just hate the consequences of it.

Originally Posted by NC_EvO_GuY
I really want to try the go fast bits BOV.
As soon as I decide on my next bov I'll sell u mine.

I was thinking about the following bov's (need to hold 22 psi without leaking, all be 100% recirc)

-Tial
-Forge
-Greddy Type - S (isn't this recirc?)
-APS (is this 100% recirc?)
-JDM MR bov
-HKS SSQV (loud recirc?)
Old Oct 3, 2005, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

if your interested in buying my bov let me know

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...60#post2411360
Old Oct 3, 2005, 09:11 PM

I just purchased the GFB/Works BOV and it works flawlessly on my 2005 Evo MR. No stalling at all (not even lowered RPM's). I have it set to the recommended Works settings and it sounds super loud with a smooth Whoooooosh sounds.

Brian

TACOS +2

The $384 hurts but its a GFB product why not eh
It gives a nice "whoopssshh" under hard driving
Iam also useing the stock airbox with a crappy OEM filter ,Am too afaird of useing either a oil based filter or cone style . Both of them have negative effects so Ive heard. I guess ill keep useing the same old dry filters. /// sorry
Old Oct 3, 2005, 09:12 PM

I just purchased the GFB/Works BOV and it works flawlessly on my 2005 Evo MR. No stalling at all (not even lowered RPM's). I have it set to the recommended Works settings and it sounds super loud with a smooth Whoooooosh sounds.

Brian

TACOS +2

The $384 hurts but its a GFB product why not
It gives a nice "whoopssshh" under hard driving
Iam also useing the stock airbox with a crappy OEM filter ,Am too afaird of useing either a oil based filter or cone style . Both of them have negative effects so Ive heard. I guess ill keep useing the same old dry filters. /// sorry
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

lancer shop offers an hks stablizer chip that stabilizes that maf so u can run any vta bov with no recirc so you get good performance and sound only drawback is its 125$
Old Jan 14, 2006, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

anybody running agency powers adjustable? I was leaning towards that one when I start modding my 8. I'll have the stock turbo but eventually wanna upgrade it. I was thinking about getting the utec for my first mod as Ive heard that even a stock evo can get some nice gains from it. My buddy got hks dual sequential and hks suction(only mods) and hasn't had any problems.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerEVOmann
I took it off and put back on the stock bov and it has not stalled once. So now I am looking for a bov that is 100% recirc but is loud. I love the vta sound, just hate the consequences of it.
Thats an oxymoron, you cant have both. APS is probably going to be your best bet. Its a twin vent so under light to moderate driving it recirculates, but under WOT shifting it will vent some giving you the sound your looking for.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fsugatorbait
You can hear the APS 'sneeze' in this 1st-4th pull...

http://www.sihatch.com/Videos/MOV00158.MPG
what boost controller are you running you boost holds solid and creeps a little in forth gear

oh and i love my hks ver. 2 with pipe and no set screw
Old Jan 14, 2006, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blowoffsilver
what boost controller are you running you boost holds solid and creeps a little in forth gear

oh and i love my hks ver. 2 with pipe and no set screw

I believe that was with the Hallman.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:39 PM

does anybody know of the BOV's that flutter under WOT???
Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a Dual Port TurboSmart ($260ish LancerShop.com) in my IX it works well no probs. Very loud! Here is a video of me playing in the snow.BOV Drifting video
Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

if you flutter on wot your leaking boost. imo from using 4 different bov.s the forge rs is a great bov, and the crushed 1G are the best i,ve seen yet. The 1G has no driveability issues at all. smooth as glass idle and zero flutter

Quick Reply: The Ultimate BOV Thread