Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Want to know how much boost is the WR capable of,and a what point does it over speed?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:27 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Want to know how much boost is the WR capable of,and a what point does it over speed?

I first made this post https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=155164 prior to speaking to FP about what in house testing showed the WR could hold... boost wise. I recently contacted FP as to the question of at what point the turbo would be over sped, and at what point the turbo's pressure differential would be slipping into the "red zone" causing too much back pressure. Here is the short answer as received:

Zeusmotorworks: At what point would you consider the turbo being "over spun" based on boost pressure... and at what boost pressure does the pressure differential start backing it up?
FP: Under intended operating conditions, boost under 30psi, the turbo doesn't overspeed.
FP: There is a decreasing boost pressure that you want to stay under dependent on RPM.
FP: at 5k 35psi is fine, BP ok
FP: at 6k 28psi Ok
FP: at 7k 26psi ok
FP: at 8k not much point running higher than 25psi.
Zeusmotorworks: That's what I was looking for... thanks!
FP: we actually welded some slugs into the WG holes of a TH and drilled then out so the WG holes were .250"
FP: we could run more than 30psi to 8500
FP: but you get lots of BP and no more power

Cuss and discuss away... I believe as stated in the thread link above, that the perceived problems with the WR not delivering have nothing to do with the turbo it self not being able to deliver what was first claimed.

Short of the "big manufacturers" who have a horde of engineers at their disposal, I don't know of anyone who designs turbo products from the ground up other than Robert at Forced Performance. Yes the WR just happened to be a retro fit as a first step, but if you look at the line FP offers, there is a lot more going on there than people take into consideration. I'd expect to see much more in the future for the Evo community.

Last edited by Zeus; Sep 15, 2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, since I got the hp actuator on the turbo last night I can hold more pressure. If he says 26psi @ 7k is the "limit" then I'll shoot for that.

Thanks for the info Zeus.

Man I need to get back on a dyno.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 07:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Let me know how it goes
Old Sep 27, 2005, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Little update Zeus, it makes some serious pressure with the new actuator. Too much actually, I cracked #4 piston. I'm in to process of fixing it, but I'm stroking the motor. So we'll see how it breaths on a 2.3. I'm hoping to see near 500whp(dynojet). I'm guessing I was somewhere between 430-440(dynojet) with the hp actuator on 28->24psi.

BTW, I crack the piston on around 31-33psi(guessing).

Ivan
Old Sep 27, 2005, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ivan_C
Little update Zeus, it makes some serious pressure with the new actuator. Too much actually, I cracked #4 piston. I'm in to process of fixing it, but I'm stroking the motor. So we'll see how it breaths on a 2.3. I'm hoping to see near 500whp(dynojet). I'm guessing I was somewhere between 430-440(dynojet) with the hp actuator on 28->24psi.

Ivan
Heh heh, so you're going to a stroker afterall? I'm very, very interested to see how the WR runs on a 2.3.

Steve (the guy with the BBY Evo at Summit Point)
Old Sep 27, 2005, 08:03 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Ivan
Sorry to hear about the piston

Yes, it makes a lot more boost than people thought. It was a week actuator all along. If you get boost creep issues, remember to loosen the actuator tension one half turn until it stops. I wish there were finer threads on the actuator to give greater resolution. I've found with my setup, I can live with creep, or a little taper... I chose the latter.

I believe it is RoundPro who has been running the WR on a 2.3 for a while now. He's been cleaning up at his local road course. Not to mention the RRE crew has been kicking the s h i t out of the competition with their stroker fed by the bunny.

Last edited by Zeus; Sep 27, 2005 at 08:13 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

what actuator you running to get that much boost out of it?
Old Sep 27, 2005, 08:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The Forced Performance unit...
Old Sep 27, 2005, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by propellerhead
Heh heh, so you're going to a stroker afterall? I'm very, very interested to see how the WR runs on a 2.3.

Steve (the guy with the BBY Evo at Summit Point)
Yeah figure while I'm in there changing rods and pistons, I'll change the crank and do a little bit of clearancing. I didn't put the screen name together with the person/car until this morning.

Originally Posted by Zeus
Sorry to hear about the piston

Yes, it makes a lot more boost than people thought. It was a week actuator all along. If you get boost creep issues, remember to loosen the actuator tension one half turn until it stops. I wish there were finer threads on the actuator to give greater resolution. I've found with my setup, I can live with creep, or a little taper... I chose the latter.

I believe it is RoundPro who has been running the WR on a 2.3 for a while now. He's been cleaning up at his local road course. Not to mention the RRE crew has been kicking the s h i t out of the competition with their stroker fed by the bunny.
Sweet, yeah the thing makes all kinds of boost now, even with the 280's. Haven't noticed any creep while the motor was together. I'm need to reset everything and start the tune again with the new engine. That's good to hear it's working for them. I can't wait to see what kind of off boost and spool up the larger stroke gives me.

Originally Posted by gsujeff55
what actuator you running to get that much boost out of it?
Yeah what Zeus said FP with Unos MBC.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah figure while I'm in there changing rods and pistons, I'll change the crank and do a little bit of clearancing. I didn't put the screen name together with the person/car until this morning.
Sneaky bastard. Here you were telling us you were going to keep the stock displacement. It should be fun to see what kind of times you can pull with the new setup.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mikey52
Sneaky bastard. Here you were telling us you were going to keep the stock displacement. It should be fun to see what kind of times you can pull with the new setup.
Last minute decision yesterday, after a good bit of research on Sunday and Monday. Yeah, not sure if I'll get to test it this race year, not sure how long it's going to take me to break it in and get it retuned. Maybe one of the later Oct early Nov races.

Last edited by Ivan_C; Sep 28, 2005 at 05:05 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
Do you know if they are having ANY issues with part throttle compressor surge with the bunny? I'll have to write RRE and see if they have advice.

I've got a GT35R with a .63 A/R hotside that surges like an SOB at part throttle on my stroker. Works great at WOT and pulls like a beast when the tune is correct. Rather than screw around with trying to find the right hotside combination I am seriously considering "downgrading" to a 20g or WR.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 10:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I thought when RRE went to a stroker on Kent Jordan's car they upgraded to an FP Garrett based turbo?
Old Sep 27, 2005, 10:43 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by propellerhead
Do you know if they are having ANY issues with part throttle compressor surge with the bunny? I'll have to write RRE and see if they have advice.

I've got a GT35R with a .63 A/R hotside that surges like an SOB at part throttle on my stroker. Works great at WOT and pulls like a beast when the tune is correct. Rather than screw around with trying to find the right hotside combination I am seriously considering "downgrading" to a 20g or WR.
If there are surge issues... I've yet to discover them. I can say that the WR does not have the same surge issues the stock turbo does. I could get the stocker to surge due to my putting around town in higher gears. I've not experienced this with the WR. Matter of fact Mitsuorder was impressed with me making a yellow light from 1800 or so rpm in 5th. FP started on the WR years ago keeping their mouth shut. The pressure differential was one of the points of concentration to avoid drivability issues.

I'm not sure what Kent is driving now... My last understanding was he was sporting the WR (I've not spoken to FP in a while)... with a FP beast waiting in the winds
Old Sep 27, 2005, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Ivan
what mods do you have to pull 28psi with the WR

Quick Reply: Want to know how much boost is the WR capable of,and a what point does it over speed?