Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo8 Forged internals?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2003, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo8 Forged internals?

Does the Evo8 have forged internals? How much boost and hp is the engine capable of with just bolt on mods. Is the evo8 the top Evolution model? When the wrx first came out i thought it was the top model until i later found out about the STI version. Do you think we will later see a 6 speed option for the evo8 or forged engine internals?
Old Mar 9, 2003, 08:18 AM

to tell you the truth. the Evo VIII is not the top model. there's a quicker model called the RS which is basically a regular Evo, but stripped of all non essentials such as power options, etc. to lighten it. it's about a second quicker on acceleration and a few seconds quicker on lap times. they may be sent to the US, but will be dependant on public demand. then there is RALLIART. they have a few models which are downright scary. if you want to see these models, go to your search on your browser and look for Etreme Automobiles in the UK. they have what they call "X cars" you can buy the kits to install, but I would have them install it and be covered by factory warranty. they have 300-500hp mods. deffinite addrenaline rush if you ask me. LOL
Old Mar 9, 2003, 08:20 AM

oops I made a boo boo. it's Xtreme Automobiles...............not Etreme Automibiles as I had put in the last reply. sorry, my bad.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 07:48 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

US EVO has forged crank and connecting rods.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jfh
US EVO has forged crank and connecting rods.
Can someone confirm this? In particular, the connecting rod part. The DSMs rarely loose a crank, but those rods are a different story. I was under the impression the EVO8 does *not* have forged internals. If that's the case, we're going to be limited to a measely 400-450hp.

Thomas Dorris
Old Apr 9, 2003, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Claudius
With a big turbo, you can reach 450 with low boost, but it wont exactly be the best set up in terms of lag / response etc.
I've reached and passed 450hp with my 4G63 Talon, but you can bet I went with different internals. And you're right...the lag/response characteristics of the resulting setup were not at all appropriate for a road course car; I have a different turbo I put on for that. In fact, I currently use a Mitsubishi 16G when I plan to hit the brakes and turn the wheel.

Thomas Dorris
Old Apr 9, 2003, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's incorrect. The 4G63 internals are not forged, they're cast.
Better tell Automobile mag that they said they were the bunch of fibbers
Old Apr 9, 2003, 05:18 PM

I guess we will know when it breaks
Old Apr 9, 2003, 05:33 PM
EvoM Guru

No Mr Claudius, you're mistaken. The crankshaft and connecting rods are forged steel, the pistons however are cast (although a high quality casting). Did you build your engine? Do you know how to identify a forged piece? I on the other hand have built more than a few engines. Please recognize your mistake and let me still hold some respect for you, otherwise you'll just be another high-horse Evo guy.
Old Apr 9, 2003, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

the only things on the evo that i know are forged would be some of the suspension parts...
Old Apr 9, 2003, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

whoaaaaaaaa...strong words...i would trust claudius though, he has built his engine and i know that for a fact
Old Apr 9, 2003, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

OOO no here we go. I was under the understanding they were forged myself. I checked the Jan 03 press release from Mitsubishi and page 7 says "Engine durability and reliability have also been improved by uprating the aluminum pistons and forged steel con rods"
Old Apr 9, 2003, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

bump

Quick Reply: Evo8 Forged internals?