Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost Problems... only above 6000rpm

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost Problems... only above 6000rpm

I’m confused.

Since yesterday I’ve been having serious boost problems. My max boost with my current setup hits 1.4/1.5 bars. However, boost drops dramatically to 1.0 and below when I get over 6000rpm. Sometimes in second gear… always in 3rd.

I have:
Helix downpipe
Helix test pipe
Greddy Evo2 Cat back
TurboXs Utec

There is also a hissing sound once the power loss begins so I figured, perhaps there’s a leak with one of the boost lines. I checked to see if all the lines were tight leading to the ABC controller and drove the car once again. No luck, I was still having the same problems.

Now at this point, I was thinking perhaps the ABC controller is faulty? I disconnected the ABC, and reattached the hoses (Note: I never cut or spliced the original stock hoses.) Everything is back to the way it was without the ABC. I went back out to test the car… what the f@#k… I was still having the same symptoms. At 6000rpm the boost would drop from 1.4 to 1.0 and under, and I was still hearing this hissing sound.

Now I know there is a leak somewhere, however, it’s a little frustrating because the engine bay is completely stock now, and I haven’t made any other modification to the engine (where I could possibly make a mistake, inadvertently causing a leak.) The car runs like a bat out of hell at any other rpm… except when I get above 6000rpm.

I had this same problem back in August, however, the line to the ABC controller was severely curved (I figured it was preventing proper airflow.) I simply straightened the line out and hadn’t had any problems… up until yesterday, now I’m having the same symptoms again.

Wondering if anybody has had problems with stock boost line connections (or any connection for that matter.) Remember, the car runs fine… except above 6000rpm. I’ve been skimming through the threads on EvoM and noticed several people complaining about boost solenoid lines. I know the problem could be any number of things… just wondering if anybody has any ideas.

Thanks,
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Is the snorkel to your stock air box fastened down?
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Check your intake snorkel to see if it is still attached to the front bumper assembly with the two plastic rivets. Some have experienced it "choking" off the air supply if it is not firmly attached.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Another snorkel issue
Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

O.K.

I’m at work, however, I managed to get away for a little bit and checked a few things. I went out with a friend of mine. We checked all the connections again and tightened everything.

We thought the hose from the blow off valve to the intercooler pipe wasn’t in far enough so we corrected that. Since we figured it may have been the problem, we reattached the ABC controller (thinking everything should be O.K. this time.) We then went for a ride.

The car held boost in 3rd gear at about 1.4 bars. Right after we got to 6200rpm the boost dropped dramatically to 0.5 bars.

My friend figures this is actually a boost cut. The drop in the boost is too dramatic for it to be a leak and the car runs perfectly before 6000rpm.

(Note: I have not had the Utec tuned yet, so I’m running off the shelf with a stage II.)

I’m gonna do some more hunting around on here concerning boost cut and the Utec. When I got off work, I’m also gonna try turning back to the stock map and see what happens.

I do have one peg missing from the snorkel (a guy at a shop left it off after changing my oil and filter ) however, I don’t think it’s that. I’ve had one peg for a couple of months now. I will, however, get some pegs after work to hold it down (never know, that could help things out.) But this seems to be boost cut…
Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by roadace
O.K.

I’m at work, however, I managed to get away for a little bit and checked a few things. I went out with a friend of mine. We checked all the connections again and tightened everything.

We thought the hose from the blow off valve to the intercooler pipe wasn’t in far enough so we corrected that. Since we figured it may have been the problem, we reattached the ABC controller (thinking everything should be O.K. this time.) We then went for a ride.

The car held boost in 3rd gear at about 1.4 bars. Right after we got to 6200rpm the boost dropped dramatically to 0.5 bars.

My friend figures this is actually a boost cut. The drop in the boost is too dramatic for it to be a leak and the car runs perfectly before 6000rpm.

(Note: I have not had the Utec tuned yet, so I’m running off the shelf with a stage II.)

I’m gonna do some more hunting around on here concerning boost cut and the Utec. When I got off work, I’m also gonna try turning back to the stock map and see what happens.

I do have one peg missing from the snorkel (a guy at a shop left it off after changing my oil and filter ) however, I don’t think it’s that. I’ve had one peg for a couple of months now. I will, however, get some pegs after work to hold it down (never know, that could help things out.) But this seems to be boost cut…

Its not boost cut. Its your snorkel.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Boost cut will make your car surge back and forth and feel terrible. Do you feel like you hit the breaks when it comes down to .5 bar? If so then its boost cut, if it just feels like it doesnt pull any harder you may have another issue
Old Sep 23, 2005, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
Boost cut will make your car surge back and forth and feel terrible. Do you feel like you hit the breaks when it comes down to .5 bar? If so then its boost cut, if it just feels like it doesnt pull any harder you may have another issue
It just feels like there’s no more power. The car doesn’t surge dramatically; it just doesn’t want to pull any harder (steady acceleration from 6000 to 7000.) It could be a snorkel problem (don’t know yet.) This consistently happens going up hill (maybe air is pushing the snorkel more out of place when going up hill.)

It’s a little strange because it’s consistently after 6000 (usually up hill.) Sometimes 6500rpm.

I’ve still got another two hours at work… I’ll try a few things after that.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

check you bov. It may be sticking open and causing a boost leak or not holding all the boost you're throwing at it.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

**UPDATE**

Everything is O.K! Thanks guys.

Turned out to be the snorkel. This was also a blessing in disguise, because, a friend and I did some data logging (I don’t have a laptop, however, my friend does) and found I was having knock problems with the TurboXs base map for stage II. We were able to solve that problem today (no knock) and also find more desired power (at a conservative 19-20psi.) Car is running great.

Again, thanks for the input!