Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Little bit in insight on drivetrain problems

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2005, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
its the same to dump it or to side step it!!
Old Sep 27, 2005, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asta4125, can you post the different shifting techniques you use with AWD, RWD, and FWD? This is my first AWD car and I have had it, trouble free, for 11,000 miles. I shift the same way I would any other car but you say I shouldn't.

Launching is obviously different with the available traction in an AWD car but how is shifting different?
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

To hard and long for me to explain driving techniquesof RWD, FWD, and AWD. Im sure there is plenty of infro out there. Or maybe someone else can relate.

Last edited by Asta4125; Sep 28, 2005 at 12:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 28, 2005, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

So you made 500hp, dumped your clutch all summer, and never broke anything huh
Old Sep 28, 2005, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Asta4125
For sure...your facts are correct, however since the evo has a longer or taller first gear it would mean that it would take more power and torque to break the tires free. This still does not answer all the people blowing up diffs, rear ends, and t-cases.

Taller first gear makes it harder to break the tires free. Much wider tires stock than the 1G DSM's makes it harder to break the tires free. Much stickier tire compound stock than 1G DSM's makes it harder to break the tires free. Add all that additional traction up, and add a third more power than a stock DSM and you start doing "side step the clutch" launches and you end up with broken drive train parts. People taking advice from old school DSM guys are more likely to break drive train parts in a stock EVO.... they are totally different animals to launch.

Keith
Old Sep 28, 2005, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evodave
it starts to whine loud when the ring and pinion is off and going to wear wrong. Mine is from horrible abuse...but still needed work before i broke it. Once i broke the diff i had to end the use of the Tcase for that time cause if i cut the wheel hard and went forward it would almost lock the outer wheel and clunk so bad. It was the teeth that broke off. The car also became almost rwd.
When I am turning a corner very slowly (especially when I'm getting in to 1st), I am having a clunking and metal on metal noise? Does not happen in reverse, or at any decent speeds. Mostly happens when I'm pulling out of a parking spot with the wheel fully cranked to either side. Also, doesn't happen so much when the car is cold? Wierd huh?

-Dave
Old Sep 28, 2005, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

got paragraphs
Old Sep 28, 2005, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

The tallon gearing in the evo makes a giant differance to how aggressive you have to be in the evo8 vs DSM.

I know both cars pretty well, my talon went 10.0 @ 147, evo8 goes 11.5 @ 120.

The evo needs far more aggression, rpm, and clutch slip on the line to not bog. And with 17" wheels, you don't have alot of traction, so it's a fine line between bogging and smoking the tires.

I think the drivetrain is alot better in evo8's than dsm, as 1gs have rear axles break, center diffs break often in the high to mid 11's. I do have to favor the dsm clutch though, this pull-tob setup on the evo8 is stupid. Weight of the car also put s a big hurt on the clutch.

Last edited by DSMotorsport; Sep 28, 2005 at 06:12 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 08:22 AM
ez
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eve-slow
When I am turning a corner very slowly (especially when I'm getting in to 1st), I am having a clunking and metal on metal noise? Does not happen in reverse, or at any decent speeds. Mostly happens when I'm pulling out of a parking spot with the wheel fully cranked to either side. Also, doesn't happen so much when the car is cold? Wierd huh?

-Dave
I wouldn't say wierd. Your CV joints are shot....very common on cars with halfshafts...
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

I did eventually break parts, however it was after doing doughnuts for 3 min straight in a dry parking lot...so my fault. In realtion from the dsm to the evo. yes the evo has taller gearing. But i will tell you after luanching the talon...and my buddies 11 sec evo. i would have to say it is much easier to launch the evo for some reason. But as far as it goes with everyone breaking drivetrain parts, i cant conclude that taller gearing, and sticky tires are to blame. Im sure it has something to do with it but not at 15k on your car.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ez
I wouldn't say wierd. Your CV joints are shot....very common on cars with halfshafts...
No, Its coming from either my trans or t-case. AMS said the same thing as well.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Asta4125
To hard and long for me to explain driving techniquesof RWD, FWD, and AWD. Im sure there is plenty of infro out there. Or maybe someone else can relate.
mmmkay
Old Sep 29, 2005, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eve-slow

-Dave
I had something like that - turned out my front sway was off center and was hitting the frame at low speed turns over bumps.... but if it really is your t-case or tranny... best of luck.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
It may not be like starting in 2nd, but it is very noticable. At 7500 RPM in 1st in a DSM you are running 36.7 mph. An EVO at the same RPM is running 42.9 mph. A 6.2 mph difference is huge, and it makes a large difference in launching.

Keith
who told you that? 1g dsm's are 26mph for 1st and 34mph for the galant vr-4
Old Sep 30, 2005, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by elhalisf
who told you that? 1g dsm's are 26mph for 1st and 34mph for the galant vr-4
Those are the calculated speeds based on wheel size, gear ratio, and final drive ratio. They are dead on accurate for the EVO..... so why would they be that far off for the DSM's? Also, if you noticed I said at 7,500 RPM, this assums you have some way of eliminating the rev limiter in the 1G DSM.

Keith