Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost leak or Turbo f'd up?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2005, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost leak or Turbo f'd up?

Well, the car is acting retarded of course. It is very strange the way it is acting, because, you can start driving the car, when the car is cool, and floor it in any gear, make 30 psi of boost and taper to around 20 at redline, then shift to the next gear, and it sounds like the turbo just gives out. It only makes around 10-15 psi for the next gear. Then, after doing that, during the same driving session, the car will never boost past 15 again. Cut the car off, wait a bit, then drive it again, and the same thing happens. It will boost at first, then low boost in the next gear. Anybody have any ideas what the problem could be?
Old Sep 29, 2005, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have been runing the stock turbo at 30psi? If that's the case its probally died on you...
Old Sep 29, 2005, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

^^^^ thats what Im afraid of, but didnt want to hear...lol
Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:53 PM

Wwwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaattttt
Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:56 PM

were you about to sell evo?
Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are ******ing stupid?? the most anyone ever boost is 28 psi and that's on 101 octane. it's not good to boost over 24 psi on a stock turbo anyway, it going to shorten the life, but 30psi jesus, you have just answer your own question. Sorry if i sound harsh i just hated when people mess up a good car.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vboy425
are ******ing stupid?? the most anyone ever boost is 28 psi and that's on 101 octane. it's not good to boost over 24 psi on a stock turbo anyway, it going to shorten the life, but 30psi jesus, you have just answer your own question. Sorry if i sound harsh i just hated when people mess up a good car.
He wanted to boost 30 psi who cares... he's not that stupid since his engine is still intact. He was probally going to upgrade anyway.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

he is also on alcohol...
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

Im on Alcohol man......I dont see why it would mess up a good car. It was tuned for that much boost by Dynoflash, so the engine has no problems whatsoever.

Im not sure yet what the problem would be, but just judging from what you guys have heard, why would the car be able to boost hard 1 time, then no more till u shut the car down?
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AdamsssEvo
were you about to sell evo?
Yes, I WAS about to sell it...lol. I got a small problem to fix now though. When I do sell it Im probably going to go back to all stock.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

are ******ing stupid?? the most anyone ever boost is 28 psi
Hi , Iam ******ing stupid also , i do 28+ with race fuel (witch is about the same as 93+alcohol)
Old Sep 30, 2005, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Don't post on evom again. (j/k) With alky and a proper tune the turbo can produce more than 24 psi safely. I have not read or heard of turbo failures with a proper tune on alky/race gas at around 28-30 psi on stock turbo yet. Does that mean that the turbo's life will shorten dramtically, well I guess time will tell.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vrrrm...psss
Well, the car is acting retarded of course. It is very strange the way it is acting, because, you can start driving the car, when the car is cool, and floor it in any gear, make 30 psi of boost and taper to around 20 at redline, then shift to the next gear, and it sounds like the turbo just gives out. It only makes around 10-15 psi for the next gear. Then, after doing that, during the same driving session, the car will never boost past 15 again. Cut the car off, wait a bit, then drive it again, and the same thing happens. It will boost at first, then low boost in the next gear. Anybody have any ideas what the problem could be?
i had the same thing happin to me , the mbc has a small hole to bleed off presure it was pluged up . as soon as let it "bleed" off the extra psi from the mbc to the waste gate it worked fine . AND ALL WAYS DO A BOOST LEAK TEST!!
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

check your lower ic pipe. Its probably lose or something or getting there. My car was running strong then i popped the pipe off and bent the turbooutlet pipe. Too much boost does that crap. Tbolt clamps are your friends too.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Let me know if you need a stock turbo. I just bought a TME 20G to replace my stocker. My car has 11K and is bone stock and never raced.