Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Intermittent problem: only boosting 11psi

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2005, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent problem: only boosting 11psi

I have an 05 with 9k miles... it has the same 11psi problem as found here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...2&page=1&pp=15 and it is really pissing me off! What is odd, though.. is the car will boost 20-21 psi sometimes for half the day.. then the other half only 11psi
(just an example, it's an intermittent problem).. it seems to run fine at all times, it's just random as to when the boost is going to work to its full
potential...

The car has never seen a boost controller. The only mods are a boost guage, catback & dynoflash. This problem started after I got a boost guage installed
by shop 1 - it has since been removed and replaced with a Defi guage by shop 2, who is much more reputable. The boost guage is now running off the line right
off the intake manifold. Whereas the previous guage ran on that line right by the oil dip stick, coming off that little regulator type thing (not sure what
it is) - this line here the previous guage was on has been replaced by non Mitsu lines- so not sure if the pil stuff matters here, as you guys were
saying in previous posts.

I have the guage disconnected right now for a couple days to see if it would some reason solve this 11psi sometimes problem -
it did not.

I have a hallman mbc I could throw on the car.. but i'm not sure if I want to. Maybe the computer is telling the car to boost 11psi because of
some kind of problem.. in that case wouldnt there be a CEL? (there isnt) But just incase.. I dont want to "mask" the problem.. my 03 already
threw a rod.. I dont need any problems with the 05

I'd rather keep the stock boost solenoid... do you all think I should try replacing that before trying the MBC? (part # MN143213)

I brought it to Mitsu when it first had this problem (before my flash was done) and they said they didnt see any problems and everything "checked out."
My car convientinely decided to work just fine when the "techs" drove it..

Now I have the flash and other small mods.. and the dealer in my town is very "strict" so I obviously won't be going there.

I had my car at a shop called Billet Designs and had a guy there Marco who is real good with these cars check all the vac lines and
everything else - no problems there. (he is shop2, who installed the second guage)
Your input as to what I should try to fix this issue is appreciated.

Also, fyi we checked the stock boost solenoid and it "looks" ok, but not positive as to how to test it to see if it is malfunctioning, or if the stock
diverter valve is leaking. (the boost hasnt been raised, though. my 05 boosted 20-21 under full load when it was bone stock)
Any posibility of a bad fuel pump maybe? I don't know really..
Old Nov 13, 2005, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

bump?
Old Nov 13, 2005, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's way too long; I can't read it all. What's the problem in a nutshell?
Old Nov 13, 2005, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

in a nutshell it seems his car is boosting to 11psi... and some how he believes it started after the gauge install on his car. But really would you have any clue there..... considering you couldnt see the boost...

i personally would try to replace it with the MBC sounds to me that the solinoid is messed up and just not working sometimes...
Old Nov 13, 2005, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

I might try replacing the factory boost solenoid, mbc sucks. always having to adjust it when the weather changes and ****.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoVIII_SFL
I might try replacing the factory boost solenoid, mbc sucks. always having to adjust it when the weather changes and ****.
Then get the Hallman with the in-cockpit kit, so you can do it from the driver's seat. They don't suck, though. You don't have to adjust your boost that much or that often...surely not enough to be a nuisance...
Old Nov 13, 2005, 02:33 PM

MBC is your friend!! Not a nuisance at all. Only really need to change setting when the weather is dramatically different.

If the problem is AFTER you installed the boost gauge, make sure all your connections are correct and no leaks are present.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 03:52 PM

Bump for same problem but on a completely stock 05
Old Nov 13, 2005, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Good call War, I'm going to be ordering that in car control kit.

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...3&cat=4&page=1
Old Nov 13, 2005, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

This sounds a lot like a problem I had when my diverter valve was sticking. To check it will be somewhat of a pain, as the stock one is STIFF AS HELL, but it can be done. Remove it paying attention as to how it came off as we don't want to put it on backwards as many people do,. Then using your thumbs push the bov open and allow it to return to the closed position by itself. It should be stiff like a mother to open and it should fully close on it's own strength, meaning that once it is closed you should not be able to see light through the bottom hole.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Hope everything works out for you Ron!
Old Nov 13, 2005, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Did you have this problem before your flash? Im thinking it cuold be your flash or the sticky BOV.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

yes I had this problem before the flash.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 10:52 PM

I'm thinking I have this problem as well, and my evo is still completely stock (of course i dont know the exact boost levels but its obvious). No big intake swoosh just a quiet leakish sound irregularly. Basically I'd like to know the answer so I can go to the dealership and get it fixed b 4 i mod and ive already been to the dealership who told me that everything was "perfect" and I was running 22 psi. Anyways it sounds like the same problem and if thats the case, it wasnt the flash or gauge install
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:02 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EvoVIII_SFL
bump?
What is your exact mod list bro?

Quick Reply: Intermittent problem: only boosting 11psi