Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO 9 Mods

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO 9 Mods

I just got a new EVO 9. I upgraded the intake and have a full 3in. exhaust from the downpipe back (still have the paper tag!). I wanted to get some more power out of it but not ready to upgrade to external wastegate and a GT30 for warranty reasons. I thought about upping the boost, but it seems like the turbo is being maxed out from the factory at 20 psi!!! Any suggestions???
Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

theres no way stock turbo on the IX is maxed at 20 psi, it won't even be out of it's efficiency at 20 psi, let alone maxed.

as for mods, look in to a flash, other than that, there has not been any significant modding going on with too many IXs yet, so nobodys really sure what mods from the VIII will fit them, and there hasn't been too much produced specifically for the IX yet. stick with your BPUs look for a flash, and keep your eyes open for some news on mods.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sick Evo IX
I just got a new EVO 9. I upgraded the intake and have a full 3in. exhaust from the downpipe back (still have the paper tag!). I wanted to get some more power out of it but not ready to upgrade to external wastegate and a GT30 for warranty reasons. I thought about upping the boost, but it seems like the turbo is being maxed out from the factory at 20 psi!!! Any suggestions???
Just get an ECU reflash and, if you want, a full exhaust. With proper ECU mapping, the combo will be worth 50-70whp and a much more enjoyable driving experience

Shiv
Old Nov 29, 2005, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

what is your intake and how it the car running without a flash?

btw I also got a 9 and my only power mod is a Works P2 flash, my boost holds close to 20psi all the way to 7600rpm redline

Last edited by coco; Nov 30, 2005 at 09:13 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

coco,

can you post up your dyno plot?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:58 PM
Account Disabled

An intake would be a Mistake at this point, you really don't need one and you probably lost power.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sick Evo IX
The moids that you have already enhances the boost. Adding a manual boost controller will give you the extra boost you are not getting. Try that then come back to us.

By the way, you would need a boost gauge before you go crazy withy the boost.

Also try what Vishnu says, a reflash should take care of the factory boost limitations. The Evo 9 is capable of huges amounts of boost. I am driving at no less than 25 PSI peak all day long.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel Pump
MBC
ECU Flash
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:23 AM

ECU flash for sure... does wonders... best bang for your buck in as far as my experience goes.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ang Wen Yan
Fuel Pump
MBC
ECU Flash
No need for a fuel pump upgrade at this point.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:36 AM
Account Disabled

If anything addind an intake would cause your ECU to pull back boost as it sees more air comming in and pulls it back.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not 100% sure why, but for some reason an untuned intake hasn't really hurt the IX, atleast not from what I have seen.

ECU Flash
MBC
Test Pipe

With that you should see some outstanding gains in power, much more than a VIII would see. Cams are pretty close to being done for the IX. I know Precision Dyno is working on some, as is HKS and Jun. So it won't be too long until Cams are available for the IX. Even with out Cams, the IX is making as much power or more than VIIIs with Cams.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

The amazing thing is that all these IXs that have been tested have all been on pump gas, I'd just like to see what one put downs with bolt-ons and C16 just for sh*t and giggles. It may be possible that a IX with just TBE, Flash, MBC, and some race fuel runs 11s. Simply amazing. Even on pump gas and a hell of a driver, it may be possible, but very very difficult.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:00 AM
Account Disabled

Get a MBC and flash and you see a world of difference. Yea I can't wait to see some more track times from what seems to be some very impressive EVO9s.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
The amazing thing is that all these IXs that have been tested have all been on pump gas, I'd just like to see what one put downs with bolt-ons and C16 just for sh*t and giggles. It may be possible that a IX with just TBE, Flash, MBC, and some race fuel runs 11s. Simply amazing. Even on pump gas and a hell of a driver, it may be possible, but very very difficult.
It doesn't even look like an MBC will be necessary since the flashes seem to be able to hold a reasonable amount of boost up top.

Terry s

Quick Reply: EVO 9 Mods