Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Spark plug question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spark plug question

OK I am pretty sure this is the case but I want to make sure....

Will my plugs foul less with a smaller gap? I have them gapped pretty wide on stock ignition (.28). Should I try it smaller to keep them from fouling out?
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:22 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gapping them smaller will help keep them burning better but I am not sure it will keep you from fouling them, what plugs are you running?

edit: Kinda tired when I wrote this but I meant that it will burn better in sense it won't blow out the spark, didn't realize you were fouling them out at idle in which case the smaller the gap would lead to fouling faster.

Last edited by Ultimate CC; Dec 18, 2005 at 08:43 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

too rich
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wider gap bigger spark more burn. narrow gap smaller spark less burn ... when i ran at .22 i would foul them pretty quickly. The electrode would be full of residue. Thats my experince with plugs. I now run at .30 and they seem to last longer. I have a set of NKG V-power plugs to try after i mess these up i have now. I was told they are less prone to foul and its also $2 dollars a plug I keep messing up plugs with the anti-lag and launch control. I can't help it hehe
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

I use .28 works fine for me
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

Actually, it is generally more desirable to run as large a gap as possible because you will get a better burn. The problem with gapping is, the wider the gap, the easier it is for that spark to not fire, usually due to high boost or an overly rich condition. A smaller tighter gap will keep the spark from bein "snuffed out" from high boost or rich conditions, but may not "burn" as efficiently as a wider gap. It's like a balancing act. Gotta find that sweet spot for your particular application, taking into account your mods/boost, etc.

Last edited by aresix6; Dec 18, 2005 at 12:08 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aresix6
Actually, it is generally more desirable to run as large a gap as possible because you will get a better burn. The problem with gapping is, the wider the gap, the easier it is for that spark to not fire, usually due to high boost or an overly rich condition. A smaller tighter gap will keep the spark from bein "snuffed out" from high boost or rich conditions, but may not "burn" as efficiently as a wider gap. It's like a balancing act. Gotta find that sweet spot for your particular application, taking into account your mods/boost, etc.

exactly, run the biggest gap you can or you will be leaving hp on the table. Gap size will have very little to do with how quickly they foul. That will be determined by how rich you are running and what heat range. Speaking of heat range, you want to run the hottest you can get away with. The stock heat range has proven to work for the basic upgrades, and wont' foul as quickly as a colder plug.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Well Im just trying to find a gap that will make it so if I am beyond rich for a few minutes at idle they wont foul instantly. I have no idea on the fuel tables Im working with so they get real rich for a few minutes and then they foul right away.. I dont know if a smaller gap would help at all for just this. Once its dialed in I will use the .28 which works fine when the car is running right.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
Well Im just trying to find a gap that will make it so if I am beyond rich for a few minutes at idle they wont foul instantly. I have no idea on the fuel tables Im working with so they get real rich for a few minutes and then they foul right away.. I dont know if a smaller gap would help at all for just this. Once its dialed in I will use the .28 which works fine when the car is running right.
what are your afr's at idle?
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Gap them at .22 if you are running the AEM, this is where I had my best luck at.