Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BOV's have stalling issues?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOV's have stalling issues?

im currently thinking about putting in a BOV for my evo 8 but ive been hearing that there are stalling issues.... is this true and if so when does it stall?... is it after a hard run or does it just stall with no warning... i wouldnt want to stall while on the freeway... if you have heard about this or have knowledge about this i would greatly appreciate it... i was about to buy an hks blow off valve... but all suggestions would be greatly put into thought... thanks again
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) Do you know the purpose of a blow-off valve?

2) Based on that, why are you getting one?

3) why would you first choose an HKS SSQV?

4) Have you done any searching to see the thousands of threads discussing BOVs?
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

you will not stall if you dont VTA, as long as you recirculate, and dont have the spring tightened too hard, you will be fine, VTA BOV's stall when at idle, not while at cruise, they just run ****ty when they are VTA, search, you will find lots of info on this one.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HiRevnVIII
you will not stall if you dont VTA, as long as you recirculate, and dont have the spring tightened too hard, you will be fine, VTA BOV's stall when at idle, not while at cruise, they just run ****ty when they are VTA, search, you will find lots of info on this one.
this is not true either, i had the ssqv on my 03 and still stalled with it recirc... dont know why really, so i left it vta....

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
1) Do you know the purpose of a blow-off valve?

2) Based on that, why are you getting one?

3) why would you first choose an HKS SSQV?

4) Have you done any searching to see the thousands of threads discussing BOV
some people like the noise a bov makes... i like it myself... its a performance mod yes to aid in holding boost levels, but its unique sound is a nice thing also.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

some people like the noise a bov makes... i like it myself... its a performance mod yes to aid in holding boost levels, but its unique sound is a nice thing also.
give that sound 1 week, hell one day, and it gets OOLLDD! my forge unit is a recirc and its loud, I dont really care for the noise but its one of the best for the $ so im happy.

this is not true either, i had the ssqv on my 03 and still stalled with it recirc... dont know why really, so i left it vta....
You probably had the spring to tight if you were stalling, I dont know much about the SSQ so im not sure, but if it worked like it SHOULD, you would have no issues, you also would have been ok with a cheaper, just as good MR DV, but its your cash.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Unless you know your stock one is leaking or if you are running higher than stock boost, there is no reason to get another BOV. If you like the sound, then great, that's your choice. But it is not considerted to be a performance mod if it does not provide any gains (not necessarily hp) or if it negatively effects performance?
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alias
Unless you know your stock one is leaking or if you are running higher than stock boost, there is no reason to get another BOV. If you like the sound, then great, that's your choice. But it is not considerted to be a performance mod if it does not provide any gains (not necessarily hp) or if it negatively effects performance?
in the 03 to 05 non mr, they had the plastic ones, notorious for leaking... and the ssqv sound didnt get old because you only heard in boost over 10 psi, i drive my car like a daily driver... i have an 06 now and i still drive it like a daily driver, and my bov doesnt vta until over 13 to 15 psi boost
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HiRevnVIII
give that sound 1 week, hell one day, and it gets OOLLDD! my forge unit is a recirc and its loud, I dont really care for the noise but its one of the best for the $ so im happy.

You probably had the spring to tight if you were stalling, I dont know much about the SSQ so im not sure, but if it worked like it SHOULD, you would have no issues, you also would have been ok with a cheaper, just as good MR DV, but its your cash.
the spring was never messed with... as a recommendation by hks themselves, do not touch the screw and nut, it is set at the factory recommended setting, they also went on further to say that they wish the screw wasnt in the design because they get more issues with people adjusting it then anything else.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigric09
the only person a bov sounds good to is the guy driving the car making the bov noise. All those chumps in their SRT's with the bov's just sound gay.

Whenever I see someone revving just to get their bov to make noise and try to impress someone outside the car....... all I can think of is "what a tard".

Don't be that guy. Just my opinion, not directed at you.

Last edited by dubbleugly01; Dec 23, 2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 05:04 PM

yes the sound is one of the things i like about it... i must admit... but not for other people... i could care less about what others think... back to the issue i was considering the hks because i know the brand and ive always used it... unfortunately ive heard issues so now im still thinkin about it before i get it... i was also considering the greddy.... im not looking for something extremely loud even if i were the only one to hear it im fine with it... i have thought about just raplacing it with the mr bov that comes standard with the 9's also... either way i just cant make up my mind on what to do and was hoping someone here could help me decide... dint really think there was a lot of haters out there for BOV's or people even asking about it... also i dont drive a dodge thanks for all your infos and opinions... and dont worry i wont be that tard that revs his engine just to get looks from people....
Old Dec 23, 2005, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

another BOV thread
Old Dec 23, 2005, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

I use my BOV to scare people that try and race meeh that I know can't win...as soon as they hear that I got meeh a turbo, they back off and I save gas. Thank the good lord for BOV's!!!!
Old Dec 23, 2005, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It would not bother me having to bring this issue again. Be very aware with the BOV, I have had a bad experiences with the Non recirculating Turbo XS RFL-H model BOV.

The TurboXS RFL-H does amongs other things:

drop your boost
makes your turbo spool slower
loose power
stall your power in the mid rpm range
and last but not least, if you don't clean the internal piston it would lock itslef open and your car wouldn't even start.

The stock is good for just about stock boost. The Buschur Racing 1 Gen Eclipse BOV crushed in the top can hold boost very well.

The Evo 9 BOV is metal and much larger than the Evo8 which is plastic. I also heard that Greddy Type S adjustable is good.

Summarizing, the recirculating BOV work very very well with stock turbo.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

the freaking Evo has a blow off valve! put on a cone filter, tune for it, and you'll hear an awesome sound... the turbo spooling and venting. It's way better because it's the REAL sound of the turbo and not some semi-fabricated, amplified videogame wannabe squeak! Why would you want to sound like an SRT? Sound like an EVO!!! Be proud!
Old Dec 23, 2005, 05:30 PM
Fomer Vendor

Whats with the stock bov anyways. In comparison to aftermarket ones, it looks like its installed backwards. Is there draw backs to not recirculating? I like the sound and wanted to get one to hear it.

Quick Reply: BOV's have stalling issues?