Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My likes and dislikes of the Buschur Motor mounts.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2006, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
while the pictures and explinations of durameters is nice, bashing a competitor openly is kind of of underhanded.

As for this whole thing with whose bushing is the best....It seems to me the whole thing is an argument for an ajustable dampener.

That way you can adjust it to your theshold of annoyance....super stiff...to slightly above stock....no press,handtools,no permentent mod, easy to take off before a "warrenty" trip to the dealer.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 05:20 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealth Ag
while the pictures and explinations of durameters is nice, bashing a competitor openly is kind of of underhanded.

As for this whole thing with whose bushing is the best....It seems to me the whole thing is an argument for an ajustable dampener.

That way you can adjust it to your theshold of annoyance....super stiff...to slightly above stock....no press,handtools,no permentent mod, easy to take off before a "warrenty" trip to the dealer.
Providing facts and data + recommendations is not bashing. I am certain you are alone in your opinion. The more information the thread contains, the better off the consumer is.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Providing facts and data + recommendations is not bashing. I am certain you are alone in your opinion. The more information the thread contains, the better off the consumer is.

Old Jan 23, 2006, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stealth Ag

The originator of this thread is not a vendor and I did not feel a "sales pitch" by TTP-Engineering or DB.

I wish all products were documented by TTP-Engineering so the consumer can have TESTABLE, reliable information. His thinking is very methodical and logical and as a consumer I appreciate that.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
That's something else I'd like to point out about our mounts. The factory front mount has a HUGE hole in it where the bolt passes through it. We have dropped the size of this hole down considerably to eliminate the amount of movement/momentum the engine can get when it does torque up or drop down.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jan 23, 2006, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

I've got to say this is probably one of the most mature threads about comparing different product options I have seen on Evom - kudos to every one for having an informative discussion, rather than e-yelling at each other. In the end it's all about personal preference, trading more performance for less daily-driver suitability isn't anything new for any of us. DIfferent people have different comfort zones.

TTP: Looks like I found a guy willing to buy the BR bushing from me (he's more of a drag racer than I am, so I'm sure he'll be happy), expect an order on the Powerflex one today . This should make for a good comparison of the benefits of each.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

With really solid mounts all of that energy is going to go elsewhere. From reports it appears to provide improved shifting, but the question is what part or parts are absorbing the energy and will the part or parts come loose or break over time. We've seen whats occured to some with engine dampers. Cudos to TTP for providing good info for consumers to make informed decisions. I'll be getting the Powerflex unit, simply because they have been out for quite some time over in the UK with positive feedback. I don't want to findout what the limitations are for harder mounts. Hopefully it's just limited to increased vibration and noise. One's got to wonder why Mitsubishi didn't make their Ralliart bushings harder. Perhaps they know something.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n00dle
With really solid mounts all of that energy is going to go elsewhere. From reports it appears to provide improved shifting, but the question is what part or parts are absorbing the energy and will the part or parts come loose or break over time. We've seen whats occured to some with engine dampers. Cudos to TTP for providing good info for consumers to make informed decisions. I'll be getting the Powerflex unit, simply because they have been out for quite some time over in the UK with positive feedback. I don't want to findout what the limitations are for harder mounts. Hopefully it's just limited to increased vibration and noise. One's got to wonder why Mitsubishi didn't make their Ralliart bushings harder. Perhaps they know something.
Thats a very good point. Im probably going to order a set of the buschur front mounts, but i dont want them to affect anything else in the car. I wouldnt mind the extra vibrations, but i really need to get rid of this 1-2 shift lockout problem.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by voidhawk
After doing some more digging, it looks like there are quite a number of choices for anybody who wants to reduce movement of the engine in the chasis and reap the associated benefits. Here's what I found so far, please feel free to add / correct things. The stock mounts have a hardness of about 50 (my guesstimate).

Ralliart
Hardness: 80
Color: black
Type: bushing
Install: press needed
Price: 250 (full set)

WR Damper (link)
Hardness: 70 (guestimate)
Color: dark brown
Type: TDamper
Price: 115.00
Install: hand-tools

Powerflex (link , link2)
Harndess: 80
Color: purple
Type: bushing
Price: 50.00 (front only)

Buschur
Harndess: 90
color: black
type: bushing
Price: 50.00 (font, +side optional)
Install: press needed

Ingalls Stiffy (link , link2)
Harndess: 60-80 (?) adjustable
Color: silver
Type: TDamper
Price: 340.00

DIY (link)
Hardness: OEM to solid
Color: black
TYpe: bushing mod
Price: ??
install: see link

I have nothing to say about Buschur's mounts, but I just want to clarify a little bit about the Powerflex bushings:

Durometer - 80
Color - Purple
Front - $50
Rear - $45 (available soon)
Sides - Optional at $60 each (two required per car [$120])
Lifetime Warranty!
Install - Hand tools OR press. Whichever is most readily available.

Now about the Stock and Ralliart mounts:

The OEM mounts are about a 45-50 durometer. I don't have the exact figures, but I highly doubt that the Ralliart mounts are rated to 80. Everyone comments that they are only "slightly" stiffer that the OEM mounts and they are not nearly as stiff as other comparable bushings, which is good and bad depending upon your view point.

This doesn't make them bad by any stretch. Just different.

The same thing can be said for even stiffer bushings. It doesn't mean that they're bad. They just do the same thing in a different way with slightly different side effects.

It's nice that everyone has options now. Everyone needs to make a choice based on their individual needs.

Good luck with your decisions folks!
Old Jan 23, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for adding more info! I got the Ralliart bushing info from Cascade Autosport (they use them in their group N rally cars). I think the hardness rating is acurate, however I was told they are only available as a complete set (hence the higher price).
Old Jan 23, 2006, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by voidhawk
Thanks for adding more info! I got the Ralliart bushing info from Cascade Autosport (they use them in their group N rally cars). I think the hardness rating is acurate, however I was told they are only available as a complete set (hence the higher price).
Which is fine as I don't have any real figures. I'm just guessing based on comments I've seen.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

no problem - BTW they also told me that after doing the complete Ralliart set your dash is going to start rattling pretty bad after some time. Something else to keep in mind...
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Got my front one done yesterday @Works along w/cams, TB. I LIKE the vibrations at idle(combined w/cam lump)... Your EVO will feel like a street bike after the bushing. Vibes through the seat, shifter & steering wheel. Another thing I will add is part throttle tip in is WAY more sensitive at top of 1,2,3rd gears since motor is more 'connected' to chassis so car responds quickly(jumps) to throttle input. Reverse bucking is almost gone! Imo - Car has more character. Car is factory smooth once it rolls and droning at freeway speeds. ONLY vibes while stopped. Its cool to come to a stop after a commute at a redlight and feel car vibing along w/the cams. My opinion comes from owning street bikes & an I-6 AMG Benzo on liquid filled mounts. (BTW - 1-2 hr job) for you driveway warriors

Martin @Works cutting out the jelly mount....That center sleeve is totally moveable by hand allowing engine/trans to lash. . .alot of why the driveline is so hard to modulate

Last edited by threepointsix; Jan 25, 2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I can't imagine a durometer of 80 being much softer than a durometer of 90. We have sold over half of the 100 sets we had done already. I can easily change durometer of the bushings on the next batch if that is what it comes down too.

I was curious about this so I am actually calling the company that made these right now.......................

O.K. This company I use makes OEM bushings for major car manufacturers. Been around for a very very long time. I will take what he said as fact because of this.

I asked the engineer there this, "We are competing against some other companies on this same product. They use a durometer of 80, ours is 90. Do you feel that if someone had our bushing in the car and changed out to one that had a durometer of 80 instead that it would make a difference you can feel in vibration and such." He said, "No, you could not feel that difference. Both bushings are very rigid." I then asked, "What is durometer?" He said it is basically the hardness of the material. Which I guess we all kind of knew. I then asked what the hardest durometer is and he said 110 and after that it becomes completely rigid/solid.

Just pointing out the fact that if you have an 80 or a 90 durometer that the feel you get should be the same.

Also, the bushing pictured in post #58. I am not knocking it but I want to point something out. We were going to make our bushings like that too, it was a little cheaper, they would have had flat sides and been the same thickness down to the center steel bushing. I didn't personally like that look and the factory mount isn't shaped like that. I went ahead and had them machine them shaped like the factory mount and ours gets progressively wider until it is the width of the steel bushing, like the factory was.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:51 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see how flat sides and imprinted company logo with ss insert of greater thickness could be a cheaper design.

In our opinion, the flat sides give the unit a better fit and makes it snug against the black bracket in the picture which we believe to be a benefit and superior design.

We are patiently awaiting for voidhawk to switch out the mount and share some feedback on his findings as he switched from the BR unit to the POWERFLEX.

Time will tell and customer feedback is key.

Quick Reply: My likes and dislikes of the Buschur Motor mounts.