Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I blew up my turbo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I blew up my turbo

Just got the call from the dealer--the whistling noise I was hearing was from the turbine. They said it had been over-spun, and the Mitsubishi rep was there and said my manual boost control was the culprit, especially since they never have problems with their turbos. No warranty coverage and $2500 to replace.

The guy that had installed the boost control, apexi pipe, and safc II had said he set it very conservatively and not to touch it, which I didn't. But, oh well.

Here's my question guys, should I get the factory turbo at $2500 or find a decent aftermarket one. Are there aftermarket turbos that are better for the same price?

Waiting to figure this out befor I tell the dealer to order a new one.

Thanks very much for your input,

Nick
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
crawl out from under that rock and search. There is quite a bit to choose from for 2500
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nicka117
Just got the call from the dealer--the whistling noise I was hearing was from the turbine. They said it had been over-spun, and the Mitsubishi rep was there and said my manual boost control was the culprit, especially since they never have problems with their turbos. No warranty coverage and $2500 to replace.

The guy that had installed the boost control, apexi pipe, and safc II had said he set it very conservatively and not to touch it, which I didn't. But, oh well.

Here's my question guys, should I get the factory turbo at $2500 or find a decent aftermarket one. Are there aftermarket turbos that are better for the same price?

Nick
he said he set it very conservatively, what did he set it at? tell me you checked lol
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:12 PM

go with a 20g-9 for $9xx. 2500 is a rip for a stock 05 turbo. Make sure you get your stock blown turbo back either way the 10.5 exhaust housing is worth money.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

You can buy a better turbo for 1/2 of that $2500. I'd suggest the TME Turbo from Forced Performance. It runs about $975 and is a considerable step-up form the stock turbo, with no other hardware needed.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can get you a tommi makinen turbo for 890 bucks, you should be able to put it in yourself relatively easy, PM me for details.

If you don't know what the Tommi Makinen turbo is...it's a direct replacement turbo with a titanium aluminide turbine wheel....it spools quicker then the stock turbo....not sure if you'll see a hp increase, maybe someone with one can answer that.

Give me a PM if you want one.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
There are TME's for $699 somewheree I think. I sold my '05 stocker for $500. You should be able to find a good one for around that amount.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

I took his word that it was conservative--I think he said 19 psi? Does that sound right?

Well, I'm about to pay for my stupidity.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

sh*t, you can almost buy an entire GT35R KIT for $2500!!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

I took his word that it was conservative--I think he said 19 psi? Does that sound right?

Well, I'm about to pay for my stupidity.
I hope you are sporting a boost gauge??
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Nick
I have a new 05 Turbo for ya 10.5 and WGA for $600 to your door.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

^^ there u go. Paying 2500 for a stock turbo = ban.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Keep the ideas coming guys, this helpful beyond belief.

I'm going to have roadrace throw in a boost gauge, and they are also installing a zeitronic zt-2 that I've had sitting on my dresser for two months.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Nick
Do not waste your money. You can find used stock turbos for under $300. You can have my stock 03 turbo for $250 and swap your 10.5 hotside on there.

But I would definately recommend an upgraded turbo. It'll be worth the money. Look into Buschur's 20G or maybe a 50 trim. Your warranty is gone anyway. Might as well up the power.

Last edited by twinscrewed; Mar 7, 2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Keep the ideas coming guys, this helpful beyond belief.

I'm going to have roadrace throw in a boost gauge, and they are also installing a zeitronic zt-2 that I've had sitting on my dresser for two months.
somthing tells me he may not be capable of putting this turbo in himself... perhaps someone in his area could lend him a hand???