Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BOV Pressure Testing: HKS, Forge, Stock

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2006, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@Forge
I just don't want anyone to confuse "spring pressure" with "test pressure".
I revised my statement to avoid confusion. Good catch .
Old Mar 16, 2006, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

After beginning to read this I was going to mention the same thing, mike beat me to it!

Good Job jj....
Old Mar 16, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Tonight, I am going to do some testing on the vacuum required to open these valves. This test will show what valve works best for daily driving. Since, I have had all these on my car before (except the HKS), I think the Forge RS is going to need the least amount of vacuum to open.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jj_008
Out of curiosity, I decided to make a pressure tester to see how much pressure each of the blow off valves I own could hold before it leaks.

Stock Valve: It held to about 10psi and started leaking. It was a really slow leak though.

Forge RS: With it screwed all the way in, it held 38psi. The only problem I had w/ it was w/ the connection to the stock hose. I had to really crank the clamp down in order to not have it leak. I didn't have this problem w/ the other valves.

HKS SSQV: This bad boy can hold whatever you can throw at it. Of course, the design of it is the main reason. I had it cranked up to 60psi w/ no leaks . This is my project BOV. I think I have found the issues it seems to have on our EVO's w/ the recirculation kit. I am going to do some more testing on it. I like the design of this BOV, I just need to work on the driveability portion of it.

This weekend I will be testing my older Forge DV w/ the green, yellow, blue, and red springs. Should be fun .
The proper way to test is to have apply air pressure not only on the piston that faces boost but also on feed line pressure to the nipple that goes on top of the diaphragm. Remember the line on top also sees manifold pressure that keeps helps keep the piston shut under boost.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I doubt he just has every random BOV sitting around...

maybe we can send him ours for testing...
Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jorge T
The proper way to test is to have apply air pressure not only on the piston that faces boost but also on feed line pressure to the nipple that goes on top of the diaphragm. Remember the line on top also sees manifold pressure that keeps helps keep the piston shut under boost.
Yep. That's what I'm doing . The only exception being the HKS.

Last edited by jj_008; Mar 16, 2006 at 09:23 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Yep. That's what I'm doing . The only exception being the HKS.
Ok cool, just wanted to make sure of the method used
Old Mar 16, 2006, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

A pressure test on the IX bov would be interesting.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Tonight, I am going to do some testing on the vacuum required to open these valves. This test will show what valve works best for daily driving. Since, I have had all these on my car before (except the HKS), I think the Forge RS is going to need the least amount of vacuum to open.
Good job on the testing bro! Looking forward to more results.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoallovEr
A pressure test on the IX bov would be interesting.
Its the same as the "MR" , "JDM" valve

and from my tests it holds very well up tp 24-25 psi.

I also tested the HKS and the plastic-stocker a while ago and got pretty much the

same results (HKS=never would leak and Stock=leaking @ 12 psi)

So it looks like the Forge is the end-all BOV , I wonder if it opens easier than the "MR,JDM,IX" valve .
Old Mar 16, 2006, 02:43 PM
Account Disabled

Hey Matt, if the Hks never leaks, whats the difference between the Hks and Forge where u would say the forge is the end all? thanks Matt

Originally Posted by matt55
Its the same as the "MR" , "JDM" valve

and from my tests it holds very well up tp 24-25 psi.

I also tested the HKS and the plastic-stocker a while ago and got pretty much the

same results (HKS=never would leak and Stock=leaking @ 12 psi)

So it looks like the Forge is the end-all BOV , I wonder if it opens easier than the "MR,JDM,IX" valve .
Old Mar 16, 2006, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 97awdman
Hey Matt, if the Hks never leaks, whats the difference between the Hks and Forge where u would say the forge is the end all? thanks Matt
My theory, regarding the HKS BOV, is that the EVO (especially EVO's w/ cams) have a hard time making enough vacuum in order to open the valve. The Forge RS doesn't have this problem (which is due to its conical spring). The less vacuum needed to open the valve the better driveability will be.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

The forge doesnt leak because of properly designed mechanical advantage of the areas of the valve. If you have good vac/pressure source hooked to the reference port of the Forge valve it will stay shut up to very high pressure (more than the stock turbo can run). The HKS holds boost due to its design and the boost forcing the valve shut harder as you run more boost. The HKS is not set up to run in recirulation mode very cleanly. You have to buy adapter and custom make some piping and it still looks a little akward. The HKS will also cause some bucking in the higher gears at low throttle and release operations. The Forge RS unit is easily installed in a recirculation configuration, because it fits just like the stock BOV. It can be adjusted nearly fully loose and still hold more than the stock turbo or White Rabbit or 20G can produce. The Forge is also very affordable and has a very quality feel and finish. It is the only one that I suggest now... It just so happens that I sell them to... If you need one let me know.

BTW, we tested the Forge RS valve tonight on the dyno.. We peaked at 37 psi and held 25 psi with the BOV fully tightened. I then loosend it all the way up and then turned it in 4 clicks. It held the exact same amount of boost pressure. I believer that it will hold the boost even at fully loosened position. But I didnt try it.

Brian
Old Mar 16, 2006, 08:23 PM
Account Disabled

Thanks guys for your answers
Old Mar 16, 2006, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Red face Read this new post.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24611

Quick Reply: BOV Pressure Testing: HKS, Forge, Stock