Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BOV Pressure Testing: HKS, Forge, Stock

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
since you had the HKS apart, anything that can be done for drivability issues I keep hearing about or do you think it cannot be fixed somehow?
Old Mar 18, 2006, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
since you had the HKS apart, anything that can be done for drivability issues I keep hearing about or do you think it cannot be fixed somehow?
Yes something can be done and its a ez mod.

Throw the MF-er away
Old Mar 18, 2006, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

I don't suppose that you could source a Greddy Type-RS for testing, JJ?

Another thing to note is that I have noticed, at least on the Greddy BOVs, is that once they are warmed up, they work better (i.e. smoother part throttle driveability) but seem to hold slightly less boost).

l8r)
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

There isn't much that can be done. The diaphram just doesn't seal at idle which means it can't provide enough vacuum at idle to keep the EVO from stalling. I even annealed the spring which made it softer and it still wouldn't open the valve at idle.

I just got back from a run w/ the HKS BOV and it works really good (except for stalling). There was no part throttle surge and held boost fine. I couldn't run it in recirculation mode due to it not fitting w/ the stock I/C pipes and the stock BOV hoses. All the kids playing at the local school thought it sounded cool too. It is loud.

I think its a really nice BOV, but it just doesn't work for MAF systems. It would work great w/ a MAP system.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
I don't suppose that you could source a Greddy Type-RS for testing, JJ?

Another thing to note is that I have noticed, at least on the Greddy BOVs, is that once they are warmed up, they work better (i.e. smoother part throttle driveability) but seem to hold slightly less boost).

l8r)
Unless, someone is going to send me one, I won't have access to anymore BOV's. Most EVO owners around here don't have many spare parts or BOV's lying around.

If someone wants to send me one for testing, I wil pick up the return shipping.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jj_008
Unless, someone is going to send me one, I won't have access to anymore BOV's. Most EVO owners around here don't have many spare parts or BOV's lying around.

If someone wants to send me one for testing, I wil pick up the return shipping.
If you pick up both shipping charges (to & from), I have an extra JDM MR DV you can use. Sorry, Im poor.

FYI, I checked the part number on the JDM MR DV & the IX DV and they are the exact same. I know people already know they're the same, just wanted to let everyone know they are a 100% the same.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

There isn't much that can be done. The diaphram just doesn't seal at idle which means it can't provide enough vacuum at idle to keep the EVO from stalling. I even annealed the spring which made it softer and it still wouldn't open the valve at idle.

I just got back from a run w/ the HKS BOV and it works really good (except for stalling). There was no part throttle surge and held boost fine. I couldn't run it in recirculation mode due to it not fitting w/ the stock I/C pipes and the stock BOV hoses. All the kids playing at the local school thought it sounded cool too. It is loud.

I think its a really nice BOV, but it just doesn't work for MAF systems. It would work great w/ a MAP system.
Where you VTA or recirc on this run? Just curious coz some people say they have no issues when re-circing...Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2006, 01:23 PM

Where you VTA or recirc on this run? Just curious coz some people say they have no issues when re-circing...Thanks!

I couldn't run it in recirculation mode due to it not fitting w/ the stock I/C pipes and the stock BOV hoses.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
the problems aren't so much with the recirculation but with the fact that the valve doesn't open well under vauum. look into jj008's thread on bov testing or reference the end all bov thread.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

If you have a stock car, that has over 15inhg or vacuum, it "might" be OK. I can't test this theory to prove it though. For guys w/ cams, well, they are going to have stalling problems.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Today, I tested the old Forge DV w/ the red spring and it held over 45psi. This was with no shims. It also required around 10inhg to open it, so it will cause stalling for guys w/ cams. Cars w/o cams may not have the stalling issues.

I will test the other springs at a later date. I need to buy new bolts for the BOV. I have taken it apart so much that the allen heads are starting to round off.

On another note, I dyno'd my car yesterday w/ the Forge RS BOV and even w/ my Samco hose it still was leaking really bad at the lower port. For this BOV, I am going to need a T-bolt clamp or a higher pressure worm clamp. The Forge RS is the only one that has given me trouble. The others seal just fine w/ a standard worm clamp.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
If you pick up both shipping charges (to & from), I have an extra JDM MR DV you can use. Sorry, Im poor.

FYI, I checked the part number on the JDM MR DV & the IX DV and they are the exact same. I know people already know they're the same, just wanted to let everyone know they are a 100% the same.
A local guy has offered up his JDM MR valve for testing. I may be able to do it next weekend .
Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:27 PM
Account Disabled

keep us updated on the jdm mr bov
Old Apr 4, 2006, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Any results on the IX BOV?
Old Apr 4, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

more on the old forge?