Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Humming noise while turning the car to the right?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2007, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates to this noise? I have the same noise in my car (formerly pedalpushers car). I thought maybe it was the rear left wheel bearing, but I feel no play in it, and the pitch of the noise is higher than typical wheel bearing noise.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same noise. I'm thinking that it may have something to do with the differential....not in a broken way.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
its been almost a year and theres still nothing wrong with my car i beleive the awd system makes a lot of noise so i wouldnt worry about it
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jrsimon27
yes i searched but all humming noises are while the car is driving in a straight line but what if its a humming noise when i make a right turn??
is it normal ??
thanks
thread ressurection... I have a very similar symptom in an '06 Evo9 SE. It makes the humming/vibration ONLY when turning right... and it only takes about 5 degrees of steering input to make it happen. I don't have to be driving fast or cornering hard.

It's loud, very noticeable, and pretty deep, as if I driving on the very edge of a rumble strip on the side of the road. I definitely don't think it's normal.

I have stock suspension, and the car only has about 7400 miles.

I've jacked up the car and tried to feel for play in the left side wheels that would indicate bad wheel bearings, but I don't feel any.

Any ideas?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EGbeater
thread ressurection... I have a very similar symptom in an '06 Evo9 SE. It makes the humming/vibration ONLY when turning right... and it only takes about 5 degrees of steering input to make it happen. I don't have to be driving fast or cornering hard.

It's loud, very noticeable, and pretty deep, as if I driving on the very edge of a rumble strip on the side of the road. I definitely don't think it's normal.

I've jacked up the car and tried to feel for play in the left side wheels that would indicate bad wheel bearings, but I don't feel any.

Any ideas?
the only thing that i found out with my car was that when i changed the transfer oil and had it refilled i thought at first i had it full but when going out for a spin and rechecking it i found out it was low so know everytime i changed the transfer oil when it seems to be full i bolt the nut up turn the 4wheels several times and i unbolt it again and i start to refill it once i did this the humming noise went away also stick to oem fluids
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

I don't see how the transfer case - or the differentials - could cause a noise only when turning right. Everything inside of them would be loaded the same regardless of the yaw of the car.

Now, if I only heard noise upon acceleration, or decel, I could see that being a transfer case or diff.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EGbeater

Any ideas?
Problem solved... it was a bad passenger side front wheel bearing. Completely opposite of what I would hae expected, considering the LEFT wheels would seem to be the ones that would take on more load when turning towards the right.

But the noise is now 100% gone. And I'm pretty damn happy about that.

Also, for the record: there was almost no discernable play in the front right wheel bearing by the shake-the-wheel-with-the-tire-off-the-ground method.