Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Are all 4G63 the same??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2006, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are all 4G63 the same??

Hey everyone i was looking for a short block to build up for my evo mr. And i found a brand new 93-94 4G63 short block. I know the evo is also a 4G63 but are they all the same? i know for talons there are the 6 bolt and 7 bolt are thoes 4G63 or are they different?

Sorry for me being a new guys but i dont want to end up buying the wrong block.. thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2006, 08:59 AM

bump
Old Apr 16, 2006, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

nope, not the same, if that was from a DSM its actually a mirror image of the evo block, before the evo 4 all the evos and dsms had the engine on the right and the tranny on the left(looking at the car) and after the evo's switched the tranny and engine (for balance i think) and the dsms kept it the same. Plus all the internals are different
Old Apr 16, 2006, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

If anyone is selling a evo 8 short block with out internals plz PM me! Also if anyone can tell me where to fine a bare evo 8 short block that would be great also. thanks
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=shiftdsm E]engine on the right and the tranny on the left(looking at the car) and after the evo's switched the tranny and engine (for balance i think) and the dsms kept it the same./QUOTE]

You are correct, they did that for better balance for rallying.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shiftdsm E
nope, not the same, if that was from a DSM its actually a mirror image of the evo block

It's not a 'mirror image', it's the same thing, but reversed 180 degrees in the chassis. There was an article in a magazine not too long ago where they admitted that they took a 2g 4g63 (7bolt for those in the know) and built it for an evo. The engine work was done by bushur.

Short answer to the OP is 'No', but the long answer would include the disclaimer that you can build the engine you're looking at (93-94 TEL, 4g63 engine) for an evo.

Where do you guys think these vendors are getting the 2.4 and 2.3 stroker components from? It's not as if they're having the parts manufactured themselves. They're just plundering the parts from the junkyards, freshening them up, and marking up the price a couple hundred percent.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Good luck finding a block, everyone wants a core trade when ordering one, a couple of sites sell a new block. When trying to find a part like this is wish i had a STI(I know, Flame away) because my friend was able to get a new built block with upgraded pistions for 2500 bucks without a core trade.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Cool

Originally Posted by 144mph

Where do you guys think these vendors are getting the 2.4 and 2.3 stroker components from? It's not as if they're having the parts manufactured themselves. They're just plundering the parts from the junkyards, freshening them up, and marking up the price a couple hundred percent.
yup, they are typically the imported truck blocks that are a dime a dozen from import engine retailers.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mxjs
Good luck finding a block, everyone wants a core trade when ordering one, a couple of sites sell a new block. When trying to find a part like this is wish i had a STI(I know, Flame away) because my friend was able to get a new built block with upgraded pistions for 2500 bucks without a core trade.
Oh Lord, if you're paying more than 500 for any dsm or evo block, you're getting rapped. Guys, there were about a million (not exaggerating) dsm's made from 90-99 with the 4g63 engine, there is absolutely no reason the vendors should be charging 2K+ for these motors when the junkyards are full of them.

I bought two G4CS long blocks(2.4L 6 bolt blocks, very desireable in the DSM world) for about 450 each, shipped. That would be the upper limit of what I would consider necessary to purchase a core for an evo motor build.

Want a 2.3 stroker? get a crank from a 4g64 and throw it in your evo block with custom pistons. Want a 2.4 stroker? then get a 4g64 crank and block, some other common and cheap parts from the dealership and you're good to go. Want to stay with a 2.0L, then a 93-99 TEL 4g63 will do the job in a pinch.

This isn't rocket science, fellas. The information is out on the web in many places. You just need to stay off wankster boards like this one and expand your researching horizons in order to get good information.

EvoM is good for finding deals on parts or keeping informed on new parts available for the evo, but as far as factual tech information, you'd be better off asking a guy at the AutoZone parts counter for advice.

Last edited by VTECH8TR; Apr 16, 2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Some of the engine builders are asking a bit much for a core charge.. ams wants a 1,700 core charge for not haveing a block.. a little much if you ask me.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ToMuchBoost
Some of the engine builders are asking a bit much for a core charge.. ams wants a 1,700 core charge for not haveing a block.. a little much if you ask me.
Not really too much. It's not like you can go into any junkyard and find an Evo8 block .
Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

and all DSM blocks are not the same, not just 6 bolt to 7bolt changes either. Case in point, I have an EVO7 shortblock in my car, i wanted to replace my water pump, i bought an EVO8 water pump and as luck would have it, it didnt fit right, the hole in my block for the water passage was larger then area that the pump covered, so I went down the line and got a water pump for every 4G63 and 4G64 and not a single one of them worked, so I ended up importing a pump from overseas which took 5 weeks to get. The engines are the same in design and in concept but each has slight differences. Internals wise, all 7 bolt 4G63T's share the same crank, pistons, rods, valves, lifters, rockers, etc. This is all in relation to the parts themselves, they may be made of different materials but they are the same size and they work interchangeably.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Another quick question what is the strongest 4g63 4g64 block? is the evo 8 block the strongest so far or? also how much would u pay for a evo 8 shortblock? thanks again !
Old Apr 17, 2006, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

$0.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4g64-...spagenameZWDVW
Old Apr 17, 2006, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

what would i need to do to make the 4G64 work with my evo 8? also is thier an after market following for the 4g64? sorry guys i sorta new to evo's.

Quick Reply: Are all 4G63 the same??