Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cam ? (Noise depending on Cam Timing)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2006, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cam ? (Noise depending on Cam Timing)

When my cams are set straight up (0,0) I get really loud valve train noise, and when I set them to -2,0 they sound stock. I am absolutely stumped as to what could cause this.

They are Revolver Cams, and Fidanza Cam Gears.

Has anyone else had this problem, or can explain what it may be? I don't want to get a tune until I am positive everything is mechanically perfect.

I guess the best thing to do would be to put the stock gears back on, but that is a lot of work, and I am almost positive the Fidanza's are fine.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone? Even though the car runs and sounds fine at -2,0, which is what Revolver reccomends, this will still be in the back of my head until I figure out what the deal is.

I was looking at it last night, and the Fidanza's are marked correctly, and the car is properly timed. One thing I did notice though is that on the exhaust cam, you can see part of the DSM hole on the cam, through the dsm hole on the cam gear. On the intake cam, this is not the case, and there is no hole showing behind the dsm hole. This doesn't make sense to me, because it seems like both sets of holes should be in the same spots on both cams.

Anyways, this is pissing me off.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my Buddy Club 272's have made a tad more noise lately as well.

Chaulk it up to Cams Period...there will be more noise due to MORE going on.
Buddy w/ ITR w/ TODA B's was the same way.

unless you have to Bleed the Rockers??
Mine I was told didn't need to be done....but maybe thats what yours requires?
Old Apr 23, 2006, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

I know cams make noise, but there is no reason a cam should make more noise at different cam settings vs. others. No matter what the cams are set at timing wise, they still have the same amount of lift.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say change the cam gears. I have put a few sets of Revolvers in and never experienced this problem. Just like the other thread you posted it, a couple of people are reporting noises with the Fidanza gears. What timing belt are you running?
Old Apr 23, 2006, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by timzcat
I say change the cam gears. I have put a few sets of Revolvers in and never experienced this problem. Just like the other thread you posted it, a couple of people are reporting noises with the Fidanza gears. What timing belt are you running?
The belt is a Continental OEM replacement, because the shop that did my head told me the Greddy belt I had was way overkill, and they use Continental all the time. I am in no way faulting the cams, I'm sure they are fine, I just am concerned about the cause of the noise. I will probably just go ahead and put the stock gears back on, but I did lay them up to the Fidanzas and they looked dead on.

I also turned the car on and watched the gears, and they didn't woble at all
Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:20 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Finally, someone else that has experienced this problem. I had the EXACT same thing happen with two different sets of Revolver cams. It's the cams. Period. I switched to HKS and the valvetrain is silent at 0/0. I documented every step and am absolutely convinced that the cams cause this problem.

This is the thread. - Post #62

Ogvw will surely chime in here disputing the cause of our experience. He's wrong. It's the cams. Someone suggested (in my thread) that it may be the PCV valve rattling due to lack of vacuum at idle, but mine really did sound like valvetrain noise and much more severe than a PCV check-valve rattle.

Last edited by Pd1; Apr 23, 2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pd1
Finally, someone else that has experienced this problem. I had the EXACT same thing happen with two different sets of Revolver cams. It's the cams. Period. I switched to HKS and the valvetrain is silent at 0/0. I documented every step and am absolutely convinced that the cams cause this problem.

This is the thread.

Ogvw will surely chime in here disputing the cause of our experience. He's wrong. It's the cams. Someone suggested (in my thread) that it may be the PCV valve rattling due to lack of vacuum at idle, but mine really did sound like valvetrain noise and much more severe than a PCV check-valve rattle.
I know it isn't my PCV because every once in a while when the idle dips down the pcv rattles, and that is a different noise. The difference between my situation and yours is that my car is dead quiet at -2,0.

I wuld appreciate it if someone with cams that have holes for dsm motors, and fidanzas to look and see if they can see the dsm hole on the cam through the dsm hole on the fidanza gear (both intake and exhaust cam). Thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

The only possible thing I can think of the noise being is my valves hitting my pistons, but I don't think my car would still be running if that were the case.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:31 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsevo
I know it isn't my PCV because every once in a while when the idle dips down the pcv rattles, and that is a different noise. The difference between my situation and yours is that my car is dead quiet at -2,0.

I wuld appreciate it if someone with cams that have holes for dsm motors, and fidanzas to look and see if they can see the dsm hole on the cam through the dsm hole on the fidanza gear (both intake and exhaust cam). Thanks.
Did you read my thread? At -2/-3 my valvetrain was silent as well. I didn't try -2/0, but I would bet that it would be silent like yours using that setting.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pd1
Did you read my thread? At -2/-3 my valvetrain was silent as well. I didn't try -2/0, but I would bet that it would be silent like yours using that setting.

I was just going off memory. I thought your was quieter, but still not acceptable. I just have a hard time believing it's the camse because so many have had great results with stock cam gears.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 09:37 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

The only possible thing I can think of the noise being is my valves hitting my pistons, but I don't think my car would still be running if that were the case.
Again, I went through the same thought process. Do a cylinder leak-down and a compression check to be sure, but my guess is that yours is fine like mine was. It's the cams. It really confuses me that you seem surprised by all this after having posted in my thread when I was going through this same craziness with Revolver.

Last edited by Pd1; Apr 23, 2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

I've done those tests, and mine are fine. My car seems like it has a lot of power with the settings the way they are, so I will probably just leave it. As long as the car makes the power I want at -2,0 with a good tune, I guess it doesn't matter.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:25 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

I've done those tests, and mine are fine. My car seems like it has a lot of power with the settings the way they are, so I will probably just leave it. As long as the car makes the power I want at -2,0 with a good tune, I guess it doesn't matter.
I'd be interested in seeing the dyno charts of your setup. Post 'em up when you have them!
Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The noise is not the cams. There are a lot of these cams out there and I have put in a few myself, including my old car. The fact that Pd1 put two sets in and had the same noise is a good indication it was not the cams in the first place. Unfortunately he gave up instead of having someone who really knew what they were doing diagnose the problem.

It's real easy to see if you have the cams in right as far as the dowel pins go.
With the engine at top dead center for #1 cylinder the intake cam would have it's lobes pointing to the rear (intake manifold), valves closed. The exhuast cam would have the lobes pointing towards the front (exhaust manifold) with the valves closed. Your marks should then be lined up to the cam cover.

Quick Reply: Cam ? (Noise depending on Cam Timing)