Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

PCV system theory and Oil catch cans.

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2006, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man, my head is spinning now. I'm so confused on how to hook this up right. I did a search and came up with this on a honda tech board. THey said the morosso can is baffled. maybe you guys could look at this link take a look at the picture of the can. http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=75734

what would be halepful is a write up on how to do it correctly for the rear pcv. The intake valve cover one is pretty easy, but it sounds as if the other one collects more oil.
Old May 14, 2006, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Greddy can mod page

Here is a page kinda showing this mod, except the guy is using steel wool. Since there is some moisture in the line sometimes, this will probably rust and gunk stuff up.

catch can mod page
Old May 14, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
man, my head is spinning now. I'm so confused on how to hook this up right. I did a search and came up with this on a honda tech board. THey said the morosso can is baffled. maybe you guys could look at this link take a look at the picture of the can. http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=75734

what would be halepful is a write up on how to do it correctly for the rear pcv. The intake valve cover one is pretty easy, but it sounds as if the other one collects more oil.
I think Fourdoor did a great job, and I would consider his posts a "write up"

I think the bottom line is that both lines need a catch can system to keep gunk out of the turbo and the intake manifold.
Old May 14, 2006, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, like I said earlier I use to run a Moroso tank on my old prelude. BUT it's a breather tank--it's not going to work in the rear PCV section too well. Instead of having 2 thread ports, it's got 1 thread port and a BIG port for a breath filter. What I did when I was running it was I put a grommet on the big port and then stuck a PCV valve into the grommet and used it like that. However, there is no way in hell that that grommet's gonna stay in there under any kind of positive pressure. Now it might work for the intake pipe. But if you want, I can take pictures of it too. I'm sure I've got it laying around somewhere...
Old May 14, 2006, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, fourdoor's write-up and picture made perfect sense to me as well. Thats the route I definitely want to pursue and if someone designs an Evo specific can that works in this manner, I think it would be excellent
Old May 14, 2006, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

ya, it seems they took off the breather and added a pcv valve to the top aswell. After looking at the diagram again, it makes sense. Is it possible to get a picture of the line on backwhere the pcv is, I'm not 100% sure what line it is. What then would be the best recomended can to run, with out any issues of it collapsing the can or anything like denial stated. I had a perrin, it fit nicley back in the corner, all the other cans at the time seemed to big to fit anywhere that was y I ran the perrin. But I just had it hooked up to the intake / valve cover. I never noticed it collect any oil.
Old May 14, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

PCV off the valve cover:

You can see my lines for my can. Just find the stock hose and follow it back. You'll see where it hits the intake manifold.

As far as recommendations for cans, the Perrin one is not a bad choice as long as you put something inside of it so it doesn't implode on itself. Reason why I say that is due to placement: it's pretty much the only can I am aware of that is designed to be placed in that area.

This is my setup:

I've actually posted this on EvoM a long while back...anyhow it works, it looks nice enough, but I'm forced to run some pretty long lines to the PCV valve. But, I still get plenty of oil so I guess there's negative pressure to spare. I've been running this setup for almost 2 years now and during this time I haven't really seen any dynamite solutions come up *yet.* Hopefully someone will come up with something better.

Last edited by denial; May 14, 2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old May 15, 2006, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Someone post pics of a Dual catch can system in their engine bay, placement and brand.
Old May 15, 2006, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

ya, the perrin fits right back in there nicley, shouldnt the pcv valve keep it from blowing up? or is it the negative pressure that great that it sucks the can in??
Old May 15, 2006, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
Ditto on this. I have the Perrin, which has zero baffles. What are you guys using to help collect condensate? And any hints on where to buy/get it? Thanks.
Since you have the perrin, you can open it. You can probably do the mod I posted just a few posts back.
Old May 15, 2006, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

the arc can is evo specific aswell, although a rediculos amount of money, is it baffled?
Old May 15, 2006, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

the arc can is evo specific aswell, although a rediculos amount of money, is it baffled?
I think someone mentioned in a different thread that it is not. But, someone that owns one could chime in and verify this.

Last edited by Saikou_kun; May 15, 2006 at 06:57 AM.
Old May 15, 2006, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

OR maybe buy a cheap one and baffle it your self like this maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OIL-R...QQcmdZViewItem
Old May 15, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Phenix_fyah
Someone post pics of a Dual catch can system in their engine bay, placement and brand.
Did you not look at that picture I just posted?

ya, the perrin fits right back in there nicley, shouldnt the pcv valve keep it from blowing up? or is it the negative pressure that great that it sucks the can in??
yep, the negative pressure will squish the sides of the Perrin can in.
Old May 15, 2006, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

OR maybe buy a cheap one and baffle it your self like this maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OIL-R...QQcmdZViewItem
Just a funny note, it comes with a magnetic drain plug, as if metal shavings float out of the valve cover riding the oil vapor

Whoa! that one is HUGE! I had problems sneaking in a 3.25" diameter can in the engine bay.

Quick Reply: PCV system theory and Oil catch cans.