Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

valve cover breather filter = blown oil seals??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With a breather on the turbin inlet side, cranckcase pressures will be a little higher under idle or any other driving below boost (less vacuum). I dont know what this would cause but it will occur for sure.

I think you are safe as long as you still have the other side hooked up (check valve on back of rocker cover) and running. I think the info you recieved pertained to that part of the PVC sys and the person who told you that was confused
Old Jun 16, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
The PCV Valve is what governs the vacuum to the crankcase, the vent side is just that, a Vent..

The breather's only purpose is to have an escape for excess blowby gases under boost, which is normally recirculated to the intake for two reasons, one to avoid an oily mess on the engine, and two, Emissions..

Putting a breather on in place of the fitting to the intake pipe is technically Illegal since you are fiddling with an emissions device, but it has no other effects other than to possibly spit a bit of oil vapor into the engine compartment.

If you have the fitting on your intake, keep it on there, if not, the breather trick works but may not pass a visual inspection in your state..

Most people don't install catch cans correctly, but if you must use one do the research on the correct way to install it.

This is a perfect explanation and should be a sticky. So many people are confused about it. I have a breather filter instead of a catch can. I have taken it off twice to clean it and there has been about 2 drops of oil in it total.