Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

PVC valve and breather hose questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PVC valve and breather hose questions

After a bunch of searching I am still unclear about the whole PVC breather hose mods. Why does everyone connect the hose after a catch can back to the oem location such as the intake or manifold? Can't you just vent the hose from the catch can to atmosphere and plug the port on the intake? Why can't you remove the PVC valve and hose, then plug the port on the manifold and valve cover? Seems pointless to retain the PVC valve as it adds oil to your intake manifold wile running - vac and blocks out any case venting since it closes under boost. The only port one should leave on the valve cover is the breather, but do not reconnect it to the intake after a catch can since some oil vapor is still there.

Am I not understanding something? Becouse on my 4 Dsms this is the way I did it
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i caped off the part on the intake manifold and then ran a hose from the pcv to the ground. also if your talking about puting a catch can on. that go's from the side of the valve cover to a catch can to the intake pipe. there is no pcv there. so im not shore what your saying.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Mmm, how do I say this...

The PVC valve and the hose(s) connected to it are removed. One end of the PVC hose is connected to the intake manifold so that hole left behind needs to be pluged, the other end is connected to the rear left hand side of the valve cover, this hole needs to be pluged also. Now you are left with the breather hose on the right front side of the valve cover. Run that hose to a catch can but do not connect the other end to the intake again. Instead cap off the hole left behind on the intake tube and just leave the other hose coming off the catch can to asmosphere.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rodman
Mmm, how do I say this...

The PVC valve and the hose(s) connected to it are removed. One end of the PVC hose is connected to the intake manifold so that hole left behind needs to be pluged, the other end is connected to the rear left hand side of the valve cover, this hole needs to be pluged also. Now you are left with the breather hose on the right front side of the valve cover. Run that hose to a catch can but do not connect the other end to the intake again. Instead cap off the hole left behind on the intake tube and just leave the other hose coming off the catch can to asmosphere.
i dont understand. it makes no sence to me.

the pvc is on the back left side of the valve cover. i took the hose off the pvc going to the intake manifold and capped off the manifold. i then ran a longer hose from the pvc to the ground.

now for the one on the right side of the valve cover. from the valve cover i ran a hose to a catch can. then from the catch can to the intake pipe.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

n/m i understand now. i get what your saying.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

I am not really sure what you are saying also, but I will tell you this... do NOT cap off the hose on the right side(drivers side) of the valve cover, if you do so, the first time the PCV valve in the rear of the valve cover fails to perform (i.e. act like a check valve), you will pressurize the crankase enough to blow oil out of your dipstick location, and subsequently all over your engine bay... trust me, I found out the hard way.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hel_if_ino
I am not really sure what you are saying also, but I will tell you this... do NOT cap off the hose on the right side(drivers side) of the valve cover, if you do so, the first time the PCV valve in the rear of the valve cover fails to perform (i.e. act like a check valve), you will pressurize the crankase enough to blow oil out of your dipstick location, and subsequently all over your engine bay... trust me, I found out the hard way.
make this more detailed. thanks
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
make this more detailed. thanks
Haha, its pretty simple. Dont cap off the PCV lines, either or. I would suggest a catch can on the drivers side hose, if you are that concerned, or even a small K&N filter, which is what I had for a while, but switched back because it did absolutely nothing for me. Why are you messing with it anyways? Are you concerned about the oil in the intake tube? If so, then leave it alone, a little oil never hurt anything. The catch can is just bling for the engine compartment.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

So is it safe to do this mod, I just want to make sure I do not screw up my 35K car On a 2K DSM it's one thing, but on a new Evo it's another. I just could not figure out why people use the PVC valve cover hole for a 'breather' instead of just capping it off since it was never intended to be a 'breather hole'. I also could not understand why people were running the hose from the catch can back into the intake pipe instead of just capping off the intake and letting the hose from the catch can vent to atmosphere

Thought I was missing something.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:52 PM
Fomer Vendor

Not meant to be a d!ck, but its PCV valve, Positive Crankcase Ventilation. PVC is plastic.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

do NOT cap off the hose on the right side(drivers side) of the valve cover, if you do so, the first time the PCV valve in the rear of the valve cover fails to perform (i.e. act like a check valve), you will pressurize the crankase enough to blow oil out of your dipstick location
No, no. I will cap off the PCV ends not the breather ends. The PCV system is pointless and only adds oil to your intake manifold, valves and piston heads. You would pass emmitions with or without it
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

ok ok ok. lets start over here. are car's only has 1 pcv valve. it is located on the back left side on the valve cover. ( by the oil fill cap).

there is a hose running from the pvc valve to the intake manifold. i took that hose out. i capped off the nipple on the intake manifold and ran a longer hose from the pcv valve to the ground.

now there is another nipple coming out from the right SIDE of the valve cover. there is a hose from that nipple to the intake tube. i took off that hose and ran a longer hose from the valve cover to the catch can. then from the catch can back to the intake tube.

now in detail explane what your trying to say by useing this info.
good bad pros cons.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

So is it safe to do this mod, I just want to make sure I do not screw up my 35K car On a 2K DSM it's one thing, but on a new Evo it's another. I just could not figure out why people use the PVC valve cover hole for a 'breather' instead of just capping it off since it was never intended to be a 'breather hole'. I also could not understand why people were running the hose from the catch can back into the intake pipe instead of just capping off the intake and letting the hose from the catch can vent to atmosphere

Thought I was missing something.
Ah, I see what you are saying, use the catch can, but plug the return to the intake pipe. Yeah, I guess you could do that, not what it was intended for, but you would have to cap the hole in the intake tube... and put maybe a breather on the return from the catch can...
Old Mar 19, 2006, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

there is a hose running from the pvc valve to the intake manifold. i took that hose out. i capped off the nipple on the intake manifold and ran a longer hose from the pcv valve to the ground.
My brain hurts, lol. Why did you run a hose from the PCV valve to the ground? Just cap the hole off. It was never meant to vent any air pressure (breather) anyway so why use it? Remember on boost this hole does not vent anything, it opens under vac sucking in all the hot oil vapor into your engine, YUCK.

now there is another nipple coming out from the right SIDE of the valve cover. there is a hose from that nipple to the intake tube. i took off that hose and ran a longer hose from the valve cover to the catch can. then from the catch can back to the intake tube.
Why re-connect to the intake tube? You are still getting some oil blow by into the intake. Just let that hose hang to atmosphere and cap off the intake tube hole.

put maybe a breather on the return from the catch can...
You will not have any vac to this hose with the PCV disabled so a breather is not needed.

Last edited by rodman; Mar 19, 2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

My brain hurts, lol. Why did you run a hose from the PCV valve to the ground? Just cap the hole off. It was never meant to vent any air pressure (breather) anyway so why use it? Remember on boost this hole does not vent anything, it opens under vac sucking in all the hot oil vapor into your engine, YUCK.

then how come oil ends up in the intake manifold if it only opens under vac.

Why re-connect to the intake tube? You are still getting some oil blow by into the intake. Just let that hose hang to atmosphere and cap off the intake tube hole.

never thought of it. i will probly do it now. lol

You will not have any vac to this hose with the PCV disabled so a breather is not needed.
??