Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How high can we boost on the stock fuel system?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teamdomokun, the replacement boost controller (of whatever type) is eliminating the stock controller so the boost is up to you; you no longer have the "19 psi tapering to 16 psi" characteristic. You can get an EBC to learn, it just takes a while because we are asking it to run a lot of boost on a small turbo so the duty cycles will ramp up with rpm to hold the same boost. The Profec e01 seems to take an excessive amount of time to teach that way. I set mine by manual method with rpm offset. Keep the gain low or it will flutter a lot.
I don't know if I trust the FJO; I was more referring to the MOTEC than anything. It's actually about $1.2k. We'll see; I may try one soon to see how it is.
My biggest point is, yeah you can probably run off the factory ECU's logic for knock detection if you want to, but who says the ECU is always right regarding when to retard timing to avoid det.? How far up the performance scale can you reliably trust the Mitsu ECU's logic? I certainly won't have it in my own personal car by the time I'm putting 350 to the wheels, etc.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by QuantumEVO
How far up the performance scale can you reliably trust the Mitsu ECU's logic?
FWIW, there are a number of DSMs putting 500-600 whp down running the factory Mitsu ECU. That doesn't mean the ECU is always right with regards to knock detection, but it certainly says *something* for it. I've datalogged both the raw knock sensor data per cylinder and the knock threshold calculated by the ECU. When you see that data laid out in front of you, you better understand why the ECU pulls timing when it does. The knock events are very clear and the response is very obvious. I rather like the Mitsu ECUs response to knock. It might be a bit over aggressive (i.e., erroring on the safe side) if anything.

And the results I've gotten from the FJO wideband were always dead on. The biggest problem being that the little Honda wideband sensor doesn't like race gas much. :-(

Thomas Dorris
Old Apr 16, 2003, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i thought the stock MAF on DSM's stopped flowing enough air after 400whp......
Old Apr 16, 2003, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 1QWKEVO
i thought the stock MAF on DSM's stopped flowing enough air after 400whp......
Well, technically, I didn't say on the factory MAF. Yes, the MAF requires a good bit of hacking to achieve that, if it's retained at all. By pass tubes and honeycomb removal get around most reasonable MAF limitations. Another good alternative these days is a hotwire replacement ala the GM MAF or the ProM unit.

Thomas Dorris
Old Apr 17, 2003, 02:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by teamdomokun
yeah the profec e-01 has a data logger...
Glad to hear you are logging the car instead of throwing mods on it "blind folded!"