Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Act streetlite vs stock flywheel weight measured

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2006, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Act streetlite vs stock flywheel weight measured

My car is at Mitsu dealer changing the clutch.

I asked them to measure the stock flywheel vs Streetlite weight.

For my surprise here is the result:

Stock flywheel: 5.891Kg or 12.987lbs

Act flywheel : 6.064Kg or 13.368lbs

I thought that the streetlite was a little lighter than the stock.

How can be the stock flywheel lighter than the streetlite?

Guessing here:
Worn stock flywheel
Resurfaced stock flywheel
Evo 7 flywheel is lighter than Evo 8

Any help I would appreciate

Last edited by k270kmh; Jun 21, 2006 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by k270kmh
My car is at Mitsu dealer changing the clutch.

I asked them to measure the stock flywheel vs Streetlite weight.

For my surprise here is the result:

Stock flywheel: 5,891Kg or 12,987lbs

Act flywheel : 6,064Kg or 13,368lbs

I thought that the streetlite was a little lighter than the stock.

How can be the stock flywheel lighter than the streetlite?

Guessing here:
Worn stock flywheel
Resurfaced stock flywheel
Evo 7 flywheel is lighter than Evo 8

Any help I would appreciate
do you mean 12.987 and 13.368? Otherwise the flywheel would weigh more than the whole car....lol
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Yea thats what he ment... thats like 4X the evo weight lol
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

corrected.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
do you mean 12.987 and 13.368? Otherwise the flywheel would weigh more than the whole car....lol
If he's overseas, which he probably is as he has an Evo VII, then 12,987 and 13,368 is the way he would write it.

Regarding the total weight, it is not important. The part that matters is the moment of inertia. The moment of inertia is an objects resistance to rotation which would be affected by the location of the weight. If the ACT flywheel is heavier than stock but has most of its mass near the center then it will still rev faster as it will have a lower moment of inertia.

-Paul
Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
If he's overseas, which he probably is as he has an Evo VII, then 12,987 and 13,368 is the way he would write it.

Regarding the total weight, it is not important. The part that matters is the moment of inertia. The moment of inertia is an objects resistance to rotation which would be affected by the location of the weight. If the ACT flywheel is heavier than stock but has most of its mass near the center then it will still rev faster as it will have a lower moment of inertia.

-Paul

Amen to that.

Old Jun 21, 2006, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

The weight is correct for the ACT flywheel. The stock 8 flywheel weighs 13.9 pounds. I would imagine that the evo 7 flywheel is lighter then the evo 8. I wouldnt think that from resurfacing it would take a pound off.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:54 PM

Not a great idea taking it to the dealers to change the clutch. Make sure they adjust the pedal pressure as well. The dealer that did my cusco carbon single clutch messed up my pedal adjust and it kept on grinding until yesterday, where I now have to replace my entire clutch kit.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by ibanez_926
The weight is correct for the ACT flywheel. The stock 8 flywheel weighs 13.9 pounds. I would imagine that the evo 7 flywheel is lighter then the evo 8. I wouldnt think that from resurfacing it would take a pound off.
I heard the EVO 7 clutch is actually heavier than the 8, I may be wrong on this but this is what I found out. There is really no big difference between them though. But some Evo 8 clutches will not fit the EVO 7 without a few adjustments..
quote me if I'm wrong..
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

This is a very interesting find. For people with ACT Streelite flywheel, does it feels much different than OEM flywheel? is it hard to take off from first gear?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Act makes two flywheels. sounds like you have the street lite. The prolite is lighter by a few pounds. Either way ACT flywheel is complete waste of money. There is not a significant enough weight reduction. But what really bother me is the factory cast iron flywheel will provide more friction than the chrome moly ACT. most people arent aware of this. and ACT is certainly not gonna let the cat out of the bag. Same reason disc brakes are not made of chrome moly. Sure would be nice to have disc brakes that didnt rust so easy. But the reality is the faster they rust the better they stop.

Also heavy clutch and fly is a good thing on a 4 cylinder AWD car. they absorb harmonics better, launch better, and get better gas mileage.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:33 AM

probally the its lightweight to the rest of aftermarket flywheels that can handle much more power....
Old Oct 27, 2010, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Act makes two flywheels. sounds like you have the street lite. The prolite is lighter by a few pounds. Either way ACT flywheel is complete waste of money. There is not a significant enough weight reduction. But what really bother me is the factory cast iron flywheel will provide more friction than the chrome moly ACT. most people arent aware of this. and ACT is certainly not gonna let the cat out of the bag. Same reason disc brakes are not made of chrome moly. Sure would be nice to have disc brakes that didnt rust so easy. But the reality is the faster they rust the better they stop.

Also heavy clutch and fly is a good thing on a 4 cylinder AWD car. they absorb harmonics better, launch better, and get better gas mileage.
Wow, this is tons of valuable info! Thanks for sharing, that's why I've decide to stay with OEM resurface flywheel.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 05:19 PM

I bought an evo 9 w/act flywheel and had an evo 9 w/stock flywheel and exedy twin and do not like how it takes off w/act flywheel so i would recomend stock flywheel or some other full weight flywheel.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cumminsracer14
I bought an evo 9 w/act flywheel and had an evo 9 w/stock flywheel and exedy twin and do not like how it takes off w/act flywheel so i would recomend stock flywheel or some other full weight flywheel.
Thanks for sharing your personal experience, what kind of ACT clutch did you use with your ACT flywheel? how do you like it?

Quick Reply: Act streetlite vs stock flywheel weight measured