Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Launches?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2003, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Launches?

Who found the sweet spot on the Evo yet? Where do you keep your RPMs before you launch?
Old Apr 24, 2003, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

6000rpm and up. thats the sweetest spot. another sweet spot i found was at the mistsubishi parts department. shiet i guess thats the sour spot cuz thats where your gonna be heading if you keep "launching" the evo from its "sweet spot". the evo's launch makes it fast, but not really cuz while its fast, its also very abusive. subaru guys know all about the sweet spot at the parts department. lol
Old Apr 24, 2003, 06:19 PM

evo is not a drag racer.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

what if you just dump from the 3-4000 range? much damage there?
Old Apr 24, 2003, 08:04 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally posted by mayhem
what if you just dump from the 3-4000 range? much damage there?
Sure. Every clutch dump places incredible stress upon the entire drivetrain, It WILL break the drivetrain sooner or later. It is EVO abuse!

Speedlimit.......
Old Apr 24, 2003, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

So basically our car is about the same speed as a 350z... because its not worth it launching it then?
Old Apr 24, 2003, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

With a stock, or somewhat stock Evo, I think most of the shock goes directly to the clutch and tires. I've done more than my fair share of launches on the car, and it seems the clutch is the weakest link. Launching low makes the car bog, and launching high will blaze tires. Depending on weather, I'd say launch between 5500 and 6000rpms if you're gonna dump it out, and around 5500rpms if you're gonna slip it out fast. As long as tires are spinning a little, you'll know that the initial shock is going somewhere. It's probably the worst when U launch and the car makes a thunk sound.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

YUP!!!!! people are finally understanding - WITHOUT ABUSING THE EVO - ITS NOT THAT FAST. i mean dont get me wrong, but if you dont launch hard and get the tires spinning in order to take the shock off the clutch - your either gonna burn the clutch or just bog. and when you do that, the car isnt gonna perform like the supercar it is capable of.

so, here are some ideas

-when you want super hero acceleration (which comes from the hard launch) launch the car hard sparingly, maybe for worthwhile light to light runs or whenever you really really feel like it, or your at the track

- when you launch the car and you dont get the tires to spin/slip, something else is gonna spin (the clutch) . so when you launch try and get enough rpm where you know your gonna spin the tires otherwise your gonna spin the clutch and bog and smell cookies and be pissed that the 350z next to you got the jump on you.

- until you actually smell the cookies aka the clutch burning, this may not mean much to you, but when you smell those cookies the dealer will soon be smelling money $$$$$
Old Apr 24, 2003, 09:53 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally posted by TaiwanEvo
So basically our car is about the same speed as a 350z... because its not worth it launching it then?
I would never dumped the clutch on any car I have. Learn to slip the clutch and you'll save the drive train and sacrifice the clutch. Launching the EVO takes practice as the clutch releases very high. Our EVO's are very quick and will beat most anything (including a 350Z) off the line, even with a bog. If you don't believe me, ask a modded FWD owner about spinning tires.

I'm practicing some of the driving skills shown to me by xntct and my appreciation of my EVO grows. Finally had the road to myself and took it the through a series of S-curves and sweeping turns at a fairly good clip this afternoon. Wow...... drag racing was never this much fun!!! Would love to have a 350Z follow me!

Speedlimit........
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

I am embarrased to share the same forum as stupid kids that all it seems that occupies the space between thier ears is the dumb notion that the Mitsubishi Evolution was somehow exclusively designed and developed by top engineers in Japan for them to abuse between stop lights racing equally stupid kids with nothing better to do.....I am so glad I purchased my vehicle new...as purchasing a used un-abused Evolution in a few years will be like finding Bin Laden on Larry King Live.....is there anyone out there that likes to take off on their own on a sunny Sunday afternoon and find the most isolated twisting roads in the area, to apprieciate the poise and balance of this car?
For all of you that want to get to terminal velocity as fast as possible in your Evolutions while causing maximum damage to it in the proccess......I hear that rolling it off the edge of the Grand Canyon is a good place to start.....at least that way, any future buyer will have a clue about the previous "carefull" moron that owned it before....
Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:59 PM
choad

Leaving the world and ending up in "EVOVILLE" is a lot of fun..

I call it the motorcycle concept...

When your out riding, it's you, the machine and some twisties..
I look at the evo as if it's a motorcycle you sit in..just go out an drive!! If you run into somebody that wants to play, great. But really, your not hunting around for someone to drag or anything..

Acceleration rapid, brakes awesome, independance while driving..Lost in your own world..

AWESOME!!
Old Apr 25, 2003, 01:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by limey
I am embarrased to share the same forum as stupid kids that all it seems that occupies the space between thier ears is the dumb notion that the Mitsubishi Evolution was somehow exclusively designed and developed by top engineers in Japan for them to abuse between stop lights racing equally stupid kids with nothing better to do.....I am so glad I purchased my vehicle new...as purchasing a used un-abused Evolution in a few years will be like finding Bin Laden on Larry King Live.....is there anyone out there that likes to take off on their own on a sunny Sunday afternoon and find the most isolated twisting roads in the area, to apprieciate the poise and balance of this car?
For all of you that want to get to terminal velocity as fast as possible in your Evolutions while causing maximum damage to it in the proccess......I hear that rolling it off the edge of the Grand Canyon is a good place to start.....at least that way, any future buyer will have a clue about the previous "carefull" moron that owned it before....
a lot of people asking questions like these aren't kids.....
Old Apr 25, 2003, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

to each their own... everyone paid their share to mitsu 30k and up for their EVO.. they can do whatever the hell they want, even burn the clutch... so be it...

he asked for launching help... be a help, if not, don't post... arguing over the internet is worthless
Old Apr 25, 2003, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

The Evo is made for the twisties, not for drag-racing, but that doesn't mean you have to point it out in every thread that is remotely related to drag-racing.
Drag-racing is popular and widespread, and is much easier and cheaper to do than doing a scheduled track day. If you don't drag-race and have nothing to contribute about the topic, don't bother posting.
Go start your own thread about driving canyon roads or a road course. I doubt any drag-racers will invade and tell you how stupid you are. In fact, a lot of people look forward to doing both drag-racing AND track days in their Evos.
Old Apr 25, 2003, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

jotan and ru4real, yall aint say nothin bout the sweet spot of lauchng either......

Quick Reply: Best Launches?