Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My Evo Hiccuped today

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My Evo Hiccuped today

Hey everyone

So i was on my way to work this morning. Cruisin 70 like usual. I was about to get off on my exit, and i needed to get on it, so pass a car up. So, I step on the gas, and i dont even make it to 1 psi of boost, when it sounds like my car was hitting rev limiter. Mind you, I'm only at around 3k RPM. Luckily the car i needed to pass was going **** slow anyway, so I let off the throttle right away, threw her in neutral, and coasted down the off ramp to work. Car was idling fine the entire time. I don't understand what it was. Any ideas?

Maybe she just had to fart?

I do have a Reflashed ECU along with usual bolt ons. MR DV as well... if that matters.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you hit the fuel cut but I don't know why you would have hit it.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

hitting rev limiter or did it sound more like it was breaking up?
Old Aug 7, 2006, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

hmmmm... more of a rev limiter. boost wouldnt build. but as soon as i got on the street i work on, i hit it, and it was like nothing happened. ecu fart?
Old Aug 7, 2006, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like your clutch was slipping.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

the vacuum tube for my bov came off the other day on the highway, gave me similiar results, check your hoses
Old Aug 7, 2006, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you blew an ic pipe.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 02:11 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Consider this as a "worst case" scenario:

Your turbine blades might have seized up against the housing wall, causing an exhaust restriction and 0psi of boost. When the blades became free, they spin/spool as usual.

Take off your turbine inlet tube and ensure that the wheel/shaft spin freely without noise, slack, or other restriction. If you find a problem here, the turbocharger needs to be replaced. (This is exactly what happened to my 2G's IHI ball bearing turbo.)

Good luck with the diagnosis.

Last edited by Pd1; Aug 7, 2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys. thanks for the help. heres an update.

I just drove home. had the same thing happen. Remeber, it only Happens ONCE in a while. its not a constant thing. but when it does this, it FEELS like it hit's the Rev limiter very gently... even though im only going 70mph @ 3k rpm. If i let off the throttle, and get right back on the throttle, and the problem is gone.

No.. my clutch isn't slipping. I know the feeling when that happens, and my RPM doesnt race to redline.

My car BLOW's off just fine. I re-checked all vacuum lines when i got home... all is well underhere. zip ties and all.

I know its not IC piping blown off... one because i checked BEFORE i left work, and again when i got home, and two, i can still hit boost fine, and i hit max boost no problem. just every now and then while im driving, it does that sputter rev limit feeling thing.

I have noticed tho, that i heard my Exhaust piping rubbing on my Drive shaft for a breif moment. happend randomly a few times. Is the vibration from that, throwing my ECU off maybe?

I check the turbine wheel. no play on it. spins free, spins smooth.

Any other ideas? thanks for the help by the way everyone!
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

what mods do you have? did this start happening after a install? what rpm and boost level is this problem happening?
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like a leak somewhere

Last edited by SPEED; Aug 7, 2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Well.. usually when im crusin on the freeway ( which is where this has been happening) Im pretty easy going. Boost gauge usually reads in the vacuum side between -25 and -10. thats where it happens at. IF i happen to be in boost, this doesnt happen, only happens when im crusin', takin it easy on the throttle... But if i feel this happen, and i TRY to hit boost, it wont go. I have to let of the gas then just get back on it, and all is well. maybe she hates going slow? jk

MODS:
Megan TBE
Megan Resonated Testpipe
Injen Upper IC pipe
Injen Intake
GReddy Lower IC pipe
MR DV
AL RE-Flash
Walbro Fuel Pump.

As i said tho... i notice sometimes, that I hear the driveshaft Touching the exhaust... and when im in boost... it doesnt touch. Perhaps this is part of the issue? My exhaust hasn't touched anymore lately, than it has before, so Im not really sure why this is happening only now.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

OH... i forgot to mention, that i have had these mods for months. Problem Only started this morning.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
interesting.

:subscribes:
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gregfromblur
Well.. usually when im crusin on the freeway ( which is where this has been happening) Im pretty easy going. Boost gauge usually reads in the vacuum side between -25 and -10. thats where it happens at. IF i happen to be in boost, this doesnt happen, only happens when im crusin', takin it easy on the throttle... But if i feel this happen, and i TRY to hit boost, it wont go. I have to let of the gas then just get back on it, and all is well. maybe she hates going slow? jk

MODS:
Megan TBE
Megan Resonated Testpipe
Injen Upper IC pipe
Injen Intake
GReddy Lower IC pipe
MR DV
AL RE-Flash
Walbro Fuel Pump.

As i said tho... i notice sometimes, that I hear the driveshaft Touching the exhaust... and when im in boost... it doesnt touch. Perhaps this is part of the issue? My exhaust hasn't touched anymore lately, than it has before, so Im not really sure why this is happening only now.

This happened to me. It was my BOV. When it heated up it was staying open or something, but only sometimes. I noted a felt difference in effort needed to compress the spring between when it was hot and when it was cold...when it was hot it was really easy to press, and when it was cold it was more difficult. My theory was, at freeway speeds you are under under vaccuum so the BOV is held open a bit, pretty much at the same spot. So, hit the throttle under vaccuum and it's acting like a N/A engine pulling MORE vaccuum holding the BOV open even more, and never actually building boost...the spring is just too weak since it's heated up to set it properly to start building boost. However, let off the gas and it stops making vaccuum, letting the spring finally seat the seal, then stomp on the gas again and there you have boost...just a theory anyway...YMMV...

Last edited by machron1; Aug 7, 2006 at 04:24 PM.