Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

When should one upgrade the intercooler and radiator on a IX??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When should one upgrade the intercooler and radiator on a IX??

Well I'm new to Mitsu's and I do HPDE and I am wondering at what level do you need to start thinking about upgrading the radiator and intercooler???

Obviously on these cars the cooler the better so I think the radiator is a plus....on my Integra I have a C&R racing radiator that is full aluminum and powdercoated....the problem on hondas with big intercoolers is sometimes they run "too cool" and dont get up to operating temperature under street conditions.....I am wondering if it is the same on the evo???

I would assume with the iron block that it will warm up quite a bit more than aluminum block on my ITR...

And as far as the intercooler I know more cold air =denser air and more power with added fuel....but I see some guys talking about too large of an intercooler causes lag????

I would assume this is off throttle--> on throttle lag???

Because as long as the car is moving forward I dont see how a larger or more efficient intercooler could hurt performance.....

But then again these are all assumptions and I come from a NA Honda background so all these turbos and gadgets associated with it are all new to me hahah

Thanks in advnace for any insight!!